Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rEdshiFt

1 Gbps B R O A D B A N D

Read THIS...

Hong Kong Broadband Network (HKBN) officially launched its 1 Gbps symmetric service for the residential market. Approximately 800,000 households, out of a total of 2.2 million households in Hong Kong, are wired to receive the service. The 1 Gbps symmetric service is priced at US$215 per month.

HKBN noted that its 1 Gbps service is up to 166x faster downstream and 1,950x faster upstream than the advertised bandwidth of the incumbent's ADSL service.

HKBN Premium bb1000 service is being offered on the same metro Ethernet infrastructure that delivers the company's Mass Market bb100 (symmetric 100 Mbps for US$34/month) and Entry Point bb10 (symmetric 10 Mbps for US$16/month) services.

http://www.ctinets.com/

21-Apr-05

* HKBN is installing more than 10,000 Cisco Catalyst LAN switches and more than 800 Cisco routers in buildings throughout Hong Kong. Category 5e copper cables are wired from the LAN switch cabinet to the apartments of each target customer. Fiber-to-the-building (FTTB) was deployed between the buildings using the Cisco ONS 15454 Multiservice Transport Platform (MSTP) and Cisco Catalyst 4507R Switches.

* HKBN is also using a Cisco Optical Core network. The deployment includes the Cisco ONS 15454 SONET/SDH Multiservice Provisioning Platform (MSPP); Cisco Catalyst 6500, Catalyst 4500, Catalyst 3350, and Catalyst 2950 series switches; and Cisco 2600XM Series routers. Cisco's ONS 15454 MSPP enables the carrier to converge its legacy voice and data services and a new pay-TV service into a single platform, and at the same time offer Layer 2 and 3 IP services using Resilient Packet Ring (RPR)-ready ML Series line cards. The network enables HKBN to deliver up to 200 digital pay-TV channels via MPEG-2 at 4.5 Mbps to 10 Mbps with DVD visual quality. Its service also features interactive pay-TV elements and enables PC or TV connection with the aid of a set-top box.

:DB):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm movin to Hong Kong ;)

The 1 Gbps symmetric service is priced at US$215 per month.

man look at the price its almost Rs9600/month,

How many guys can actually afford ths service?? ;):clap:

In US too brodband only picked up when the tariifs fell below 30-40$/month,

dont expect this service to pick atleast amongst home users for a while at these tariffs.

9600/month IS high, but NOT FOR 1 GBPS... 1 gbps is so FAR FAR away, we dont even grasp it...

imagine if the speed is 100 times lesser - that would still be 10mbps - and THAT seems to be offered for Rs800/month....with no d/l limits ... i would die for that kinda offer

.... and IF we're STILL not satisfied,then we move up to 9600/month... i cant even imagine why a home-user would want more than 10mbps speeds...maybe for companies....and im sure RIGHTNOW there are corporates in india paying 10000+ every month for speeds from 512k to 2mbps...

Reliance is also busy doing a Fiber-to-the-building (FTTB) for it's broadband. (that means optic fiber cable is laid upto the kerb of the building ... and then on using a CAT-5 (used for cable tv).

They will also be having a metro ethernet (same as what HK company has done).

(Actually, reliance's metro ethernet is already being sold to corportes ... I recall congizant bought into it for it's chennai offices). For retail, they were planning to do it, before they go their IPO, expected Dec'05

I agree with Redshift...... for corporates this rate is not so high..... we are paying almost 5500 every month for Iqara broadband for bloody nothing........only 128Kb speed and limited to 3000mb in the package.

We really need to improve from that..........

ARRE how can u directly convert dollar into rs and say that will be the cost ... it will depend on various other factors also na

for them 215 $ is not that much ...relative to 9600 Rs for us

ARRE how can u directly convert dollar into rs and say that will be the cost ... it will depend on various other factors also na

for them 215 $ is not that much ...relative to 9600 Rs for us

man it does matter as i mentioned in my post that even in US Brodband picked up only when prices fell below 30-40$/month

hi, i just did some lil math....the 1Gbps cnxn would be some 8695 TIMES FASTER THAN RCONNECT :0

:o:o

WOW!!

9600/month IS high, but NOT FOR 1 GBPS... 1 gbps is so FAR FAR away, we dont even grasp it...

imagine if the speed is 100 times lesser - that would still be 10mbps - and THAT seems to be offered for  Rs800/month....with no d/l limits ... i would die for that kinda offer

I am with you buddy! 10Mbps for Rs.800 would be a dream which I am sure that our bandwidth hoarding f*cking ISPs will never allow :help:

well.. I think I am lucky on that count .... I am on Unlimited 128 KBPS connection (Mumbai) at 275*2 per month thatz about Rs. 550/- . and to dream of 10MBPS (even that remote possiblity) well ... ready to do anything to get that (counting the number of movies I will download per day!!!! )

if i had this 1gbps cnx, i think i would probably need a new hard disk drive TWICE A WEEK... thats how much we would end up downloading. :help::(

Guys This speed is good for cooperate houses and Offices, For them Rs. 10,000 a month would be nothing. As an individual it does not make any sense to buy such connection.

Yes Mukul, I agree with your remarks. I think, an individual required about maximum 10 MBps (MAXIMUM). Speed higher than this is for only corporates.

Thanks and Take Care!

yup, we all agree on that one...

i cant even imagine why a home-user would want more than 10mbps speeds...maybe for companies....

31400[/snapback]