Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TCP/IP

Airtel & Reliance Datacard Comparison

A friend of mine recently told me about the Datacards offered by Airtel and the both of us need one but don't know which of the two to buy. The guys at Airtel said the speed is 280Kbps. Is this possible? Theoritically, practically? It costs 15000 which is almost the same as the Reliance Datacard. Although their data plans are not good, I'm more interested in connection speeds when taking up a Wireless connection.

Speeds ... CDMA 1x network will surely show a faster connectivity! so I would say Reliance card could be what u might love.....

better still u could go for a RIM card and ur friend an airtel card... so u can really feel the speed difference

Cheers

Ashok

Yeah thats what I thought. I don't know anything about EDGE, I was was wondering if those speeds are possible. So far the posts I've seen here about airtel was their GPRS plan. Is this different? 280Kbps sounds good. Reliance is offering 144Kbps.

:clap: EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution) is a 3G radio technology standardized by ITU (International Telecommunication Union) and 3GPP, built on the existing GSM/GPRS network with minor additions relating to the air interface.

:o EDGE capability can be easily upgraded to existing GSM/GPRS networks using appropriate software. GPRS on average triples the current GPRS data rates and the capacity of each hardware and frequency channel, enabling lower usage cost for existing end-user services, as well as the new advanced services delivery over GSM bands, such as video streaming.

:lol: EDGE enables advanced mobile services to all end-user segments, creating revenue generation over a wide customer base. Due to its high data rates, EDGE has been adopted as part of ITU's family of 3G technologies. Currently, EDGE is standardized by the same 3GPP standardization body as the other 3G technology, WCDMA, harmonizing the development of both EDGE and WCDMA, and bringing the service delivery capabilities of 3G to EDGE as well. With an average of triple the data rates with EDGE, Nokia customers in Europe, Asia and Americas have already confirmed the promise of the GSM industry.

All major operators and equipment vendors support GSM/EDGE standardization. All major GSM manufacturers have publicly confirmed that they will employ EDGE technology. Several terminal vendors, including Nokia, are also scheduled to bring dual mode GSM/EDGE terminals to the market starting in 2002 and multi-mode GSM/EDGE/WCDMA terminals to market sometime during 2003-2004. By 2004, virtually all new Nokia GPRS phones will have EDGE. In cas of India you can expect the same after a year or two :lol:

You can check this Post by Vishal for more. I'll be posting some more on EDGE soon!

A friend of mine recently told me about the Datacards offered by Airtel and the both of us need one but don't know which of the two to buy. The guys at Airtel said the speed is 280Kbps. Is this possible? Theoritically, practically? It costs 15000 which is almost the same as the Reliance Datacard. Although their data plans are not good, I'm more interested in connection speeds when taking up a Wireless connection.

45420[/snapback]

Well buddy Data card on RIM is for 9k not 15k.

Tell your frnd that never choose GSM if he is intend to use it for data purely. GSM data transfer rate s**ks. Even in EDGE

Very true KSHAH.

I agree with ya.

gsm is like obsolete tech! running since past 10 yrs or so

then data transfers were not used much but times have changed now ! newer and better tech's have come in, better than gsm (data transfer wise)

Edited by abhay

In a nutshell....Performance-wise Reliance Data Card is a better option any day compared to OBSOLETE GSM technology cards. One MUST check- If you are planning to use your laptop at a fixed place (like office cabin or residence) most of the time...pls check the SIGNAL STRENGTH on any Reliance MOBILE in that location first because the perfromance is largely governed on number of signal bars (whether you take CDMA or GSM)...ALL THE BEST !!

price for RCL datacard is down to Rs. 5 k for over a quarter now...

who said airtel is shipping data card @15000?

it cost 8000

and u can get unlimited net @900/month and download speed is really good as they r using different apn for it.

download speed is around 15KBPS.

i recently did the comparison between airtel datacard with rim datacard and hutch data card on other forum. pm me for link. i hope this would be useful for u.

Regards,

Dheeraj

Edited by Arun

ok in my place thr is no broadband...so now i am using gprs mobile office ..from airtel...i get max 7 kbs some times 1kbs it really s**ks ....

now i got a laptop and i want to go for data card ...is thr any diff between this gprs mobile office and data card ..will i get more speed r the same.....

Naturally you will get the same speed, as the network is the same.

I would suggest you to go for Reliance PCMCIA card if your notebook supports one or else wait for Express card.

faqs_01.jpg

Q. What is Airtel Data card? What does it do?

With the Airtel Data Card, you have the freedom to access the internet anytime, anywhere across the Pan Indian Airtel Network. Not just that. You can also avail of this service as you roam internationally. The Airtel Data Card, which is EDGE and GPRS enabled, has the features of a SIM card, which enables you to send and receive SMS. What's more is that the Airtel Data Card is much faster than a GPRS connection and is compatible with Windows 2000/XP/XP Tablet/XP Pro operating systems.

All you need to have is a standard laptop PCMCIA slot and voila! Enjoy the Airtel Data Card!

* Great Features

> Connect your laptop or notebook to the internet or an intranet via the Airtel Data Card anytime anywhere

> No need to wait endless hours because with the Airtel Data Card, you can avail of instant configuration & installation

> The liberty of a 24/7 connection

> Great speed

> Send and Receive SMS via the Airtel Data Card

> Fully Customized to suit your needs

> No automatic disconnection unlike normal dial-up connections

> Saves on paying extra high internet charges to hotel business centers and in-room internet connectivity

Tariff

http://www.airtelworld.com/datacard/tariffs.htm

Homepage

http://www.airtelworld.com/datacard/index.htm

Card is available @Rs8000

unlimited plan is available @ Rs900/month

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comparing it with Hutch Data card

pg_title.gif

It has same feature and available at same price which is Rs8000. but they don't have unlimites plan

http://www.hutch.in/4business/edge_data_card.asp

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comparing it with Reliance Data card

thumb_rconnect_card.gif

But reliance is giving it a good competition

Reliance is offerin (ZTE MC315) Data card. Made in china @Rs4900

Lets start with the feature

Speed

Access files and download information at speeds up to 144kbps.

* Calls

Make and receive calls to any number in the world from your laptop.

* SMS

Send and receive even multiple SMS messages from your laptop.

Tariff Rs650/month and you will get 1gb data transfer

unlimited data transfer is available @1500/month

But i have heard that speed is not that good (more the user less the speed) my friend recently quit the rim datacard and he switched to airtel and he is able to get 12-15KBps download speed on his edge mobile. and he use to get 4-5 KBps download speed on reliance datacard @day and 6-8KBPS @night

Edited by cracker

Airtel/ Hutch/ Reliance...all have data cards. Given the same set of external conditions (distance from BTS and configuration of laptop)...Reliance would beat Airtel/ Hutch performance-wise. Only reason why someone would be forced to switched from Reliance to Airtel is that his Reliance BTS would be farther (giving him less signal strength) as compared to Airtel. That's it. Any day, CDMA is a better technology for data transfer when compared to OLD GSM technology.

Moral of the story : Whenever opting for a wireless device (whether GSM or CDMA), pls check for the signal strength availabality in your home/ office and then decide. Goes for mobile phone, FWP or data cards.

Any day, CDMA is a better technology for data transfer when compared to OLD GSM technology

if CDMA is that better why reliance is shifting to GSM? and why data charges on CDMA are higher than on GSM?

all over the world, most of the operators are shifting to GSM with the introduction of WCDMA in GSM.

on airtel GPRS/EDGE unlimited plan is 249/- per month. RIM is looting customers by providing unlimited plan at 1500/-, because customers are tied they cant change operator.

on airtel GPRS/EDGE unlimited plan is 249/- per month. RIM is looting customers by providing unlimited plan at 1500/-, because customers are tied they cant change operator.

Airtel charges 999rs/month for unlimited usage not 249rs/month

@abhiiii: 999/month is for Airtel Broadband.

Airtel charges 999rs/month for unlimited usage not 249rs/month

You can also opt for Rs 1500/- for one year unlimited plan instead of Rs 249/- plan.

hi..

b4 i was using air tel mobile ofice 375 rs per month...weekly once the server will go down..and the speed will be around 5 to 6 kbps...so recently i got reliance data card HUAWEI for 5000.00 and got a adpator for tat to fix it my desk top tat cost around 1200.00....now i am geting good speed..nearly 20 to 25kbps...only thing is 1500.00 is more ....

Why Reliance is shifting to GSM? No Sir, it's not shifting. It's ADDING. And, this doesn't affect the conclusion that CDMA data cards are better than GSM data cards in performance. As far as price war is concerned, I am no one to control/ command/ comment over that. I was just giving my personal opinion on perf between CDMA and GSM and trying to help a fellow forum member to decide in a better perspective. As I said "Any day, CDMA is a better technology for data transfer when compared to OLD GSM technology"

it cost 8000

and u can get unlimited net @900/month and download speed is really good as they r using different apn for it.

i recently did the comparison between airtel datacard with rim datacard and hutch data card on other forum. pm me for link. i hope this would be useful for u.

Regards,

Dheeraj

it cost 8000

Regards,

Dheeraj

Dear Dheeraj,

Can you help with the comparisons between these 3 data cards (Airtel, Hutch, Reliance). I wish to purchase one.

Thanks,

Saurabh

Try EDGE supported (slot 10) handset & take airtel prepaid mobile connection & see the speed (most important it depends on signal strength). I am getting :Chulo: Max 20KBPS download speed in an low to average signal strength.Tariff daily deduction of Rs10. & also fully unlimited. :Chulo:

Edited by amitbt22