Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Utsav

EDGE or wCDMA

Do you think EDGE+GSM will rule the roost near future dethroning the CDMA regime?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think EDGE+GSM will rule the roost near future dethroning the CDMA regime?

• No way, CDMA will rule the game as it does
    • CDMA is enough for me, let's wait & watch
    • Fantasy of CDMA is over, waiting for EDGE
    • Already using EDGE, far better than CDMA

:lol: What is EDGE?

:clap: EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution) is a radio signalling technology for 3G mobile networks. It boosts data transfer rates and volumes on existing GSM/GPRS networks by significantly increasing data transfer speeds.

:quest: How does EDGE work?

:o EDGE works by improving the signalling interface used to communicate over the radio waves. Typically, EDGE brings three times the performance of GPRS, achieving an average data rate of 80 to 160 kbps per user with mobile terminals supporting 2-4 timeslots. It is great for applications that transfer large amounts of data between a mobile phone and enterprise networks - such as rich email messages that include attachments.

------------------About EDGE------------------

:lol: Due to its high data transfer rates, EDGE has been adopted as part of ITU's (International Telecommunication Union) family of technologies. Currently, EDGE is standardized by the same 3GPP standardization body as the 3G technology, WCDMA, harmonizing the development of both EDGE and WCDMA.

------------------EDGE benefits------------------

*Faster connection

*Greater data volumes achieved

*Significant increase in functionality

*Can interoperate with with GSM networks for global coverage

----------------More About GSM & EDGE----------------

From the beginning, GSM has been developed in phases. New features have been continuously added to improve performance and capabilities built upon the solid foundation of the existing GSM infrastructure. Voice and data capabilities have been improved according to the needs and opportunities of operators and users.

Standardization has now reached the 3GPP release 6 phase, with many of the

earlier 3GPP release features soon to be implemented in existing GSM/EDGE

networks. The GSM community sees further GSM/EDGE evolution as vital to support the continuity of operations of single (GSM/EDGE) and multimode

(GSM/EDGE/WCDMA) networks. Many operators face increasing competition in mobile markets: fixed to mobile substitution increases voice traffic, more users are consuming data services, attractive new mobile multimedia services are constantly being launched. WCDMA (UMTS) has also arrived stimulating new demand and is now evolving as well to higher bitrates with HSPA (High Speed Packet Access), which is widening the bitrate gap between EDGE and WCDMA to a point where it again becomes visible in performance. This is increasing the pressure for further performance evolution in GSM bands. Typically, the existing 800, 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz frequencies are being used at their optimum and in some cases to their maximum in urban areas. To handle more voice and data traffic, additional BTS sites are needed. Many operators are also expanding their GSM/EDGE coverage to remote rural areas where the lower cost of coverage is the key business parameter. In addition, operators with WCDMA are demanding enhanced indoor GSM/EDGE coverage. Voice services remain the mainstay of

mobile operators’ revenue. As fixed to mobile substitution continues and emerging market operators expand their network coverage, it is likely that voice will remain the major component of revenue for many years to come. But convergence will not happen without prices dropping towards the level of fi xed line prices, which means that voice delivery costs must be reduced considerably. Users demand cheaper and more convenient use of existing applications. This sets two requirements for network evolution – faster bitrates and higher spectral efficiency. Faster bitrates speed up the user experience, particularly for heavier applications like corporate email with attachments, web browsing (http) and video services. Bitrates can only rise so far because of latency. Latency or Round-Trip-Time (RTT) needs to be reduced to expand beyond the limits set by the TCP-IP and other high level protocols. The good news is that light applications, like WAP browsing or MMS,

also benefi t from higher speeds and reduced latency. The target for EDGE Evolution is to enable these enhancements with a low network impact that will increase the lifecycle of existing GSM/EDGE hardware and networks. Users are likely to be willing to spend more money on more convenient and higher quality applications, as well as on new and attractive mobile terminals required by EDGE Evolution.

This WhitePaper examines EDGE’s market potential and the benefi ts of EDGE Evolution for existing and future new GSM operators who may have already migrated to EDGE capable networks or who are planning to migrate to GPRS/EDGE.

Its not really a question of technology (VHS & Beta wars comes to mind), but rather of which is best implemented to benefit me.

Speed-wise EDGE is the same as CDMA 1x 2000 so theres nothing to choose there. Thing is Edge is just being implmented while CDMA is moving to EVDO (2 Mbps)!

Besides if EDGE is available only in 2 cities in India (and service provider dependant) where as CDMA is extremely well supported both by RIM & Tatas the answer is really obvious!

Don't forget that GSM is much more widele spread and accepted by mst of the Indian cell users. GSM companies must be thankful to RIL for the same!

I think it doesnot a matter with the technology. It depends on the companies which use these technology. As far as technology concern CDMA is advance than EDGE, if use with great planning.

Thanks and Take Care!

I think it doesnot a matter with the technology. It depends on the companies which use these technology. As far as technology concern CDMA is advance than EDGE, if use with great planning.

Thanks and Take Care!

45495[/snapback]

hmmm and whos better planner than ambani's i mean look @ it 25 years and india's biggest comapany and to top that the biggest CDMA operations in the biggest democracy of the world now isint that BIGGG :clap:

WCDMA, EDGE implemented on GSM has one greatest dis advantage of cost per MB, GSM is atleast 2 to 6 times expensive due to inherent technological limitations. WCDMA implemented on GSM is comparable with CDMA 2000 however it is far expensive than CDMA EVDO. As far as data is concern CDMA is definately superior than GSM, which ever the technology is used. GSM being matured in voice and P2P applications as well as handset freedom, not considering another fact that US implemented Mobile communication wrongly in its early days - GSM is so widely used world wide.

But I've heard wCDMA is better than CDMA1x with it's higher data transfer speed.

EDGE is practically non-existant even in Delhi-Mumbai .... leave alone the rest of India. (.... becoz, edge sets are way too costly compared to CDMA sets or non-EDGE gsm sets (but gprs-enabled). )

GSM operators have installed EDGE, just for the propaganda value that ... "They too can stream video-on-demand" like R-world. (Otherwise, Reliance would have started singing "Only service to support Videos").

As you know, the more commonly used GPRS technology (in GSM) cannot support videos, only plain text and photos.

Edited by bhutes

mine is an edge phone .. but i havent activated the service.

eventually its gna be a comparison btween evdo and wcdma.. right now its edge vs cdma 1x 2000 as tht is the best currently avaialabe here..

45639[/snapback]

Surprising ...if you have indeed bought the set, why do you hesitate to pay a paltry Rs. 100 per month .... the GSM operators are just about thowing away the EDGE services for free .... because there are hardly any takers ==> No one seems to buy up a costly edge-enabled set.

Don't you want free Aajtak etc. (or other videos, if they have any) ...

(though, reliance offers the same thing at Rs. 25 per month)

Yes wCDMA allows around 385 kbps data access. So its around twice EDGE speed. Its upgradeable to around 2 Mbps.

wCDMA networks like 3, allow u to even ensure Crystal Clear Video Calling (yes when u are in the Video Service Area), and 385 kbps is the bare minimum. So basically the circuit switching process is biforcated for voice and video.... utilizing the bandwidth effectively.

EDGE on the other hand, allows a semi-realtime stream. so basically EDGE is better where u need to stream and DOWNLOAD a video / data before using it.

wCDMA is obviously faster... more so since handsets supporting Quad-band like some sold by 3, are designed to allow both packet switching and circuit switching together... so u can have a video call, and also watch a football video downloading to ur handset! so imagine the data transfer speeds!

cheers

Ashok

45639[/snapback]

Surprising ...if you have indeed bought the set, why do you hesitate to pay a paltry Rs. 100 per month .... the GSM operators are just about thowing away the EDGE services for free .... because there are hardly any takers ==> No one seems to buy up a costly edge-enabled set.

Don't you want free Aajtak etc. (or other videos, if they have any) ...

(though, reliance offers the same thing at Rs. 25 per month)

45640[/snapback]

for the simple reason that though the rental is rs49, it costs 10paise per 10kb.. if i could get the discountinued rate of rs99 unlimited, i would have taken it.

10 paise per kb .... "nakhun ki mael" ! (i.e. dirt on the edge of the nail).

Enjoy EDGE @Hutch.

HUTCH TV Zindabad.

Chota Recharge - Poori Baat.

In TEN RUPEES ... you have ONE HUNDRED 10 paise ... so 100x10kb = 1MB.

Enjoy 1 MB of HUTCH TV, with Chota-Recharge, Poori Baat.

--- Now EDGE speed is stated above at 80 to 160 kbps (let's assume 120 kbps on an average).

So, 1MB / 120kbps = 8 seconds.

NOW THE FUN:

With Chota Recharge - Poori Baat, YOU CAN SEE HUTCH TV FOR 8 SECONDS.

C'MON, NOW 8 SECONDS OF HUTCH TV FOR JUST RS. 10/-

1 RUPEE PER SECOND. WOW! ENJOY EDGE @HUTCH

Edited by bhutes

ttl_sec_7600.jpg

Perhaps the only wCDMA phone of India is Nokia 7600 but whisch operators allow you to exploit it's features to the full throttle?

NOW THE FUN:

With Chota Recharge - Poori Baat, YOU CAN SEE HUTCH TV FOR 8 SECONDS.

C'MON, NOW 8 SECONDS OF HUTCH TV FOR JUST RS. 10/-

1 RUPEE PER SECOND. WOW! ENJOY EDGE @HUTCH

45748[/snapback]

I forgot to mention ... even if some RICHIE is willing to pay @ 1 rupee per second ... it's not available all over India.

(leave alone EDGE ... even GPRS (which is text & static photo only - no vids), is not availave all over India).

If Reliance Network is there ... R-world is there. No Exception.

Perhaps the only wCDMA phone of India is Nokia 7600 but whisch operators allow you to exploit it's features to the full throttle?

45760[/snapback]

Yes, I think you should change the topic name to "wCDMA" in place of "Edge (enhanced Data Rates for Global Evol" - "...going to give GSM an edge over CDMA?

EDGE exists in India ... just for the advertising.

"EVEN WE CAN PROVIDE VIDEO DATA SERVICES"

Small Print: Sorry, you poor b*****ds are too poor to be bothered with upper-end Data Services. Be content with SMS.

And live in awe of EDGE, meant only for Rich Business People.

Edited by Chirag

Truly, the caption may be changed to WCDMA instead of EDGE. Are you listening Chirag?

ttl_sec_7600.jpg

45760[/snapback]

Nope...Nokia 6630 is also a wCDMA phone...Infact this is the first 3G Smartphone from Nokia. It is a dual mode (GSM and wCDMA) and triband GSM phone. I recently bought this phone, truly a masterpiece.

http://nokia.co.in/nokia/0,,59882,00.html

I bought this phone so that I can roam internationally without much of hassles. Otherwise, I love my RIM and use it as my primary phone, but then honestly we do not have good high end handsets compatible with RIM. Hope things will change soon.

Forgot to add, I used EDGE and found it really fast, infact way faster then Rconnect, but then it is very expensive to use. Using internet (thru PC link) over EDGE is way too expensive....More than 50 ruppes for an MB....

My Opinion : EDGE is faster than CDMA1XRTT, but then there is no reason to compare the two. EDGE is the 3G standard for GSM, whereas CDMA1xRTT is still the 2G standard for CDMA. No way should we compare the two different generations of technology. Let the EV-DO roll out in India, then it would be justiciable to compare the two and that would be an honest conclusion in favour of a better technology.

Cheers!

Edited by basant_jp

I bought this phone so that I can roam internationally without much of hassles. Otherwise, I love my RIM and use it as my primary phone, but then honestly we do not have good high end handsets compatible with RIM. Hope things will change soon.

we are improving now

prevoiusly it was just 2 handsets! now @least we have a choice of a range of handsets, we will surely improve more

cdma does have an advantage when it comes to data services(in terms of speed/stability and nationwide coverage). But then if you look at high end services like evdo and Wcdma, you expect frequent travellers to use it because the only thing that will sell it is mobility because of the costs incurred by the consumer. Here, the gsm players might be at an advantage as we have seen in the case of gprs, it is easily available on intl roaming and wcdma might follow. However, this hasnt been the case with any cdma operator(not that i know of atleast)......