Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
salil

New Data PCMCIA Card from Reliance

Any feedback on the pcmcia card which is/has been launched by reliance ? I have been told that the speed would be 144 kbps as compared to 115kbps which we currently get using the handset.

Any idea of how much would the actual pcmica card be selling at ? My dealer told me the card has been launched in Mumbai.

Cheers

--

Salil

being in mumbai, i am hearing this thing for the first time! wht is it after all?? can someone throw some light on this!!

Its a pcmcia card which can support speeds upto 144kbps and can directly go into ur laptop, no need for the phone and the data cable ..

Excerpt from ET Dated 17th Dec (ET Article)

....... In the coming days, the company plans to get aggressive on R-Connect adding new devices such as WAN data PC cards that allow users to surf the internet without the bother of having to buy a mobile phone. “Test marketing has already begun and we will commercially launch it soon,” Mr Shukla said .......

The launch is scheduled in this month, no idea of the exact date.

Cheers

--

Salil

thnx for the update buddy...

Reliance Infocomm launches R Connect Data Card on its wireless network

This product was launched this week by Reliance Infocomm... here is their official release..

DAKC (Dhirubhai Ambani Knowledge City), Navi Mumbai

February 5, 2004

Reliance Infocomm today announced the launch of India's first wireless data card on its pan India network. The data card is introduced by Reliance as part of its R Connect Internet service, provided by Reliance Communications Infrastructure Ltd. The R Connect Data Card is a slim device that can be slipped into the PCMCIA slot of a laptop or other devices for high-speed wireless connectivity to Internet.

With the pan-India CDMA2000 1x network, R Connect Data Card enables instant Internet connectivity for laptops and other computing devices anytime, anywhere. The ready-to-use card, manufactured by GTRAN Inc of the US - a world leader in high-speed data access solutions, is initially launched in five cities viz. Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad and Bangalore.

"With this Reliance is offering the most comprehensive wireless data connectivity for people on the move. They can use attractively priced R Connect Data Cable to connect to Internet through Reliance IndiaMobile phones or else use a wireless PDA to access Internet without a cable or laptop or use R Connect Data Card to directly connect a laptop to Internet", said Mr. SP Shukla, President - Wireless Products and Services, Reliance Infocomm Ltd.

The introduction of high speed data card is another step forward in Reliance Infocomm's commitment in bringing about a digital revolution in India by changing the way Indians communicate, get entertained and do business. R Connect Data Card is an invaluable communications solution for corporate leaders and mobile professionals. The retail price for the card is Rs 14,700 and the customer can choose from any of the three data tariff plans viz. Standard, Silver and Gold.

Looks too good... but damn expensive!

well it is meant for ppl who have laptop. and a gprs phone would cost Rs.6000 up... i think that is what they r counting on. and also the only mobile co which provides internet is airtel, i am not sure of any other cos... so it will certainly pay off. and they always charge a premium on their products. just take a look at the data cable. i saw somewhere that it can be made by any person who knows the wire coding... and that would cost only Rs.50 or around that.

Any feedback on the speeds which one gets on a GPRS connection ? Are they close to the Reliance speed or is Reliance way ahead of them ?

14,700 looks like a steep price to pay ...

--

Salil

Hello All

Currently I am in Mumbai and want to test the RConnect connection ofr three months. I am already having a cellphone from Orange and I dont want to dump it. On the top of current cell phone I want to try Reliance RConnect using WLL Fixed Line Phone.

Well I do have laptop but paying 15K for some PCMCIA card it too much. I am looking for wireless internet connectivity in Mumbai. Currently using Cell phone service from Orange.

I thought Reliance will be a good choice.

I am thinking about Reliance WLL Phone serive for Internet.

Any suggestions?

How is the Data Transfer Speed. I know they advertise 114 kbps but I am not sure if you can get it in real life.

I will be using the connection for not more than an hour on weekdays and may be for 3-4 hours on weekends.

I would like to have suggestions on the minuter package that I should get. I am going to use this for my laptop.

Also any suggestions on the Data cable. Can I buy it outside WebWorld ?

Any suggestions are welcome.

I dont want to invest a lot in basic infrastructure such as PCMCIA card or Data Cable or New phone for GPRS.

Thanks

Alkesh

hi Alkesh,

glad to have u at the forum!

According to me, there wud be pros and cons for every thing tht u can go for.. Finally u need to check ur pockets and ur monthly expenses on this.

The data Card thing, though sounds expensive, will be of real high quality coz tht is absolutely used just for transfering data and not voice. Since its dedicated to one aspect, its sure to be of superior quality. but the cost factor is something u got to check for urself.

As far as using Internet for a couple of hrs a day is concerned, goin for a Reliance Mobile or Reliance Fixed Line wont make a difference really.

But wht wud make a difference would be ur usage of the phone otherwise. Wht i mean here, is since u already have an ORANGE connection and dont want to do away wid it, then a FIXED WIRELESS PHONE would be a better option, simply becoz u'd have lower call rates at FWP and much lower RConnect charges there.

For ex: u have a FIXED to FIXED/WLL call at Re 1 per 3 mins(PLAN 1000) and FIXED to GSM at Re. 1 per 90 secs. Also importantly, Off-peak internet charges are just Rs. 12/hr !!

For more details on the tariff check here...

The R-Connect Data Cables are available at places other than WebWorlds too, but they might hamper ur connectivity or speed. Anyways, for wider range check here

Hope this helps.. Write back wid wht u do...

why dont u want to use gprs? if orange supports it then it can be used along with ur connection. it would cost a fixed charge per month. so u wont have to pay 2 bills. and their rental too. it is much faster too. i think u can get gprs phone for bout 6000 maybe even lower

just want to know if anybody using this G-TRANS PCMCI data card in notebook computer??

am planing to buy one so just wanna know the product.

want some review as quick as possible so please share ur views guys.

Well . . . we tested this card to check whether we can buy a few for company usage. Installation on various laptops was tested and no issues found (Compaq & Dell laptops with Win2K / XP). Then we took the card to Bangalore / Mumbai / Delhi and adjoining areas.

Speedwise it's better than serial cable and at times it gives almost 20KB download speeds at times which means it does give you 144Kbps. But USB cable anyway gives you that speed.

We found a few times the card simply does not get registered with the RIM network while we could use RIM handset at the same place so reception might be a problem. Apart from that no issues.

So nothing special as such. We decided not to go for the cards as the initial cost is too high. You get the USB cables at much cheaper price. And tarrif is same as usual RConnect.

Regards

Umesh

I'd like to say hi to everyone as this is my very first post on this forum.

It was not till recently when I found out about Reliance Info's R-Connect Card service and after going through the website, it says that they offer 144Kbps speed and unlimited surfing at Rs 650 per month.

I used to live in Bangalore till 3 months ago where I had a high speed connection but now that I'm in Kerala in a small village, the only way to get connected to the internet is using a dialup which is extremely slow and the above service seems to be the best option available.

I'd be interested to see a review on the above service. Are there no additional charges apart from the 650? If I understand it correctly, the R-Connect card is very similar to a phone and can also be used to make calls, send SMS etc. So wouldn't there be telephone charges applicable in addition to the 650?

I heard that they have a scheme for 1500 with which I can have unlimited downloads which is even better. Is that the only amount I pay monthly with no hidden costs?

My telephone bill for March was over Rs 5000 because of the dialup usage so this would be a very economic alternative. Not to mention it is cool as hell too.

It would be great if they could offer faster connections in the future.

<POST MERGED!>

Edited by Vishal Gupta

If you opt for Freedom/Freedom Plus/Platinum plans of R-connect you pay only Rs 650/900/1500 plus tax. Basic voice plan is inbuilt in these plans with the monthly rental waived off. However, if you wish to use CLIP you will need to subscribe to the facilty seperatley @ Rs 25 pm. Also, am not sure about the plan charges of Rs 25.

You can get detailed information here:

http://www.relianceinfo.com/Infocomm/Rim/r...fs_details.html

Yes but what about call charges for internet? I mean for example, if I use r-connect 24 hours a day, do I also pay telephone charges throughout or is 650 all I gotta pay for the internet without additional telephone call charges?

Secondly, in this thread it is mentioned that it is available in 5 cities but according to an advertisement I've seen in a computer magazine, it says that its available in 2200 cities across India and soon to be 5600 cities.

So if I buy the card from Bangalore, and use it here in Kerala, would it work? And if so, how badly will the connectivity be affected?

I'm getting a Laptop on my birthday this month and this card would be an awesome accessory :-)

Anyone has any ideas as to when they might be able to start offering EvDO enabled PCMCIA Cards? And when that is launched, what happens to the customers who already have this card? Would they accept some sort of an exchange offer?

No you do not pay anything else to surf the net, you can be on 24X7 and you need not pay anything other than Rs 650 (if you manage your download within the cap).

The card will work equally well through out the country, provided Reliance is providing services in that region. A card bought in Bangalore will have no problems in Trichy (or for that matter Jhumri Talaya). Only thing being, you need to get the SDCA change done, otherwise your voice calls will attract roaming charges (and am not sure if SDCA change for the card is yet in place or not.)

They will be launching EVDO as soon as they get regulatory clearances, however, you card will continue to work as it is, and nothing can be said about the exchange pricing at this moment.

PS: Which laptop are you considering to buy?

What specific functionality does it offer over a normal mobile? Speeds the same. Cost of new mobile (including data services) < Rs. 3,000. Cost of data card (without any mobile facillity) Rs. 15,000!!!

Why would anyone buy this? I doubt if the monthly rental plans are cheaper than mobiles to justify purchasing this.

Well I think the card is real neat. I already have another cellphone and I dont want to carry 2 phones when I travel. The card seems excellent.

The Laptop that I plan to buy is a Sony Vaio VGN-A790 for $3000 (exclusive of taxes).

Pentium M Processor 2GHz

1024MB RAM

100 GB HDD

DVDRW/CDRW Drive

ATI RADEON X600 256MB DDR SDRAM

AV DOCK With TV Tuner

Yes, the Sierra Wireless Data Card is a damn good product, and its the most recommended one for R-Connect access. You can make calls, SMS, etc. from the PC as well.

It is possible to Make / Receive calls / SMS thro the card... Seen it with a old collegue who was here in mumbai for a few days ... nice lil thingy ... and great Speeds... wish I could afford it (coz at the moment I am on a 64 kbps cable connection ... unlimited at just rs 375 /- per month), I mean 1500 PM seemed ok when I was working !!

Anyway thatz a great product!!!