Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Arun

Reliance Jio - Pan India 4G / LTE network

Commercial launch of Reliance Jio's 4G services could take place in August

The much-awaited commercial launch of Reliance Jio Infocomm's 4G services could be around a month away.

The Reliance Industries-owned telecom company's maiden plan — likely to be called Freedom — may offer free voice services bundled with data, priced at least 25% lower than current offerings of top rivals.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/internet/commercial-launch-of-reliance-jios-4g-services-could-take-place-in-august/articleshow/53200181.cms

Reliance Jio to offer unlimited voice and data services with select Samsung smartphones: Report by Kul Bhushan

Reliance Jio is yet to commercially launch its 4G LTE services in India but the company has already been making news for its free ‘Preview’ service offering. While at the moment, the preview offer is valid only on Reliance Digital’s LYF smartphones, a new report suggests that the offer could be extended to select Samsung smartphones as well. The news comes on the same day as reports emerged about the possibility of Jio launching its services on August 15.

Under the preview offer, Reliance Jio will be offering its 4G services that comprises voice and video calling, unlimited messaging, data and bundled Jio apps such as JioMoney and JioOnDemand along with select Samsung smartphones for three months, TechPP reports.

The smartphones that will be eligible for the Reliance Jio’s preview offer are the Galaxy Note 4, Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy Note 5 Duos, Galaxy A5 (2015) and A5 (2016), Galaxy A7 (2015) and A7 (2016), Galaxy A8, Galaxy Note edge, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge, Galaxy S6, Galaxy Edge Plus, Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge.

source

Commercial launch of Reliance Jio's 4G services could take place in August

The much-awaited commercial launch of Reliance Jio Infocomm's 4G services could be around a month away.

The Reliance Industries-owned telecom company's maiden plan — likely to be called Freedom — may offer free voice services bundled with data, priced at least 25% lower than current offerings of top rivals.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/internet/commercial-launch-of-reliance-jios-4g-services-could-take-place-in-august/articleshow/53200181.cms

From what I have came to know, the freedom plan is applicable to those people whose 3 months unlimited preview offer has got expired... Not sure about the accuracy of the info, though..

sent from my Lenovo Vibe P1 using Tapatalk

Jio tariff will be different -that is only data bill -for both data and voice calls

Voice calls too would be converted to data consumption with VoLTE

Average Industry voice consumption per user is around 400 minutes per month

This would roughly translate to less than 1GB per YEAR in data which is very less

That is win-win for Jio and user

Time to board JIO ship with LYF handsets and to pay only for data -used both for internet and voice :)

1 hour ago, alugobi said:

Jio tariff will be different -that is only data bill -for both data and voice calls

This would roughly translate to less than 1GB per YEAR in data which is very less

Time to board JIO ship with LYF handsets and to pay only for data -used both for internet and voice :)

The JIO preview SIM come with a basic plan of 100 minutes, 100 SMS and 2 GB data. The unlimited offer got activated only after 48 hours. In those 48 hours, whatever VoLTE calls I made got deducted from the available balance of 100 Calls and not from the data balance. So their software is fully capable of distinguishing between data used for VoLTE and other data use. Commercial tariff is also expected to be in the same lines. They deducted at the same rate for Local and STD calls. 

• Like 1

Volte calls are handled by RJIO network...they would be billed as voice calls only.

I wont even debate "This would roughly translate to less than 1GB per YEAR in data which is very less" do the math correctly.

Volte calls are handled by RJIO network...they would be billed as voice calls only.

I wont even debate "This would roughly translate to less than 1GB per YEAR in data which is very less" do the math correctly.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, alugobi said:

You have completely WRONG understanding of what VoLTE is! VoLTE is all about allowing voice calls over LTE network instead falling back to 3G for calls. You seem to be confused with VoIP. ALL the mobile networks today are IP based; which means you make a call on 2G, 3G or VoLTE, they all eventually end up on the same circuit in mobile network. Jio doesn't have any special advantage here. Once the call is connected, operator will have to pay the interconnect charges and other usage fees as prescribed by TRAI.

VoLTE is a being super hyped in India. Once people start using it, it won't take much time to realize how underdeveloped that tech is. When we buy a smartphone in US, the first thing we do is to turn off VoLTE. Take your iPhone to Genius (Apple service center), they first disable the VoLTE even if the issue has nothing to do with it!

• Like 1

I doubt. Voice call on 2g or 3g are circuit switched while volte is packed switched. Essentially volte is same as voip as 4g network don't support circuit switch fallback. Though I agree on interconnect and usage fees part.
I welcome to be corrected.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I doubt. Voice call on 2g or 3g are circuit switched while volte is packed switched. Essentially volte is same as voip as 4g network don't support circuit switch fallback. Though I agree on interconnect and usage fees part.
I welcome to be corrected.

Absolutely!

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 dual sim using Tapatalk

Voice-minutes billing will go away

Pricing for VoLTE has yet to be announced, but you can find a good clue in Verizon Wireless and AT&T Mobility's recent moves to introduce "family plans" in which customers get unlimited voice and messaging services along with a "bucket" of data that they can share across multiple devices.

Since VoLTE acts as just another data app, it will probably help to bring an end to the old "minutes" paradigm.

source

Cheers

4 hours ago, alugobi said:

Voice-minutes billing will go away

Pricing for VoLTE has yet to be announced, but you can find a good clue in Verizon Wireless and AT&T Mobility's recent moves to introduce "family plans" in which customers get unlimited voice and messaging services along with a "bucket" of data that they can share across multiple devices.

Since VoLTE acts as just another data app, it will probably help to bring an end to the old "minutes" paradigm.

source

Cheers

As long as interconnect charges exist, separate voice billing would exist. Particularly since the operator is legally bound to report voice usage and data usage separately. The legal framework of Indian telecom is different from the legal framework applicable in USA. So a 4 year old article written keeping the US legal framework in reference would not have any bearing in the Indian context.

Edited by commonman
  • Like 1

voLTE is basically voice over LTE network and is not internet data. If your Data is off still you can make voLTE calls as it will use LTE network. LTE network is different compared to 2G / 3G which had 2 separate networks called CS (Circuit Switched) used for voice and PS (Packet Switched) for data. But LTE is Data Only network so normal CS method doesn't work here and voice is carried in form of data over LTE network (PS Switched).B)

So making voLTE calls does not require Internet which is IP based but uses LTE network though the format is PS (Packet switched).

So it does not consume your Data/Net balance.

Edited by LTE4G

As long as interconnect charges exist, separate voice billing would exist. Particularly since the operator is legally bound to report voice usage and data usage separately. The legal framework of Indian telecom is different from the legal framework applicable in USA. So a 4 year old article written keeping the US legal framework in reference would not have any bearing in the Indian context.

Exactly. USA has no iuc regime.

Further volte is more different from VoIP. One such difference is, volte works in compatible networks even if data is off in consumer's mobile phone.

Another main difference is, even though volte uses data stream to send voice, compatible volte phones never calculates them in data usage. But still an operator can still count it as data usage, if they want to..

Jio join is more like VoIP version of volte calls.

Saying that volte is over-rated is -- a little bit harsh, but true to some extend too, imho. We can say Volte tech is not matured enough for time being. There is a reason, when there is no full 4g only [volte only as a result] operator of this scale as rjio in the world...

Sent from my LS-5002 using Tapatalk

Anybody Jio preview offer user whose preview offer of 90days is over?

Plz tell wat they gonna do when 90 days over?

13 hours ago, LTE4G said:

voLTE is basically voice over LTE network and is not internet data. If your Data is off still you can make voLTE calls as it will use LTE network. LTE network is different compared to 2G / 3G which had 2 separate networks called CS (Circuit Switched) used for voice and PS (Packet Switched) for data. But LTE is Data Only network so normal CS method doesn't work here and voice is carried in form of data over LTE network (PS Switched).B)

So making voLTE calls does not require Internet which is IP based but uses LTE network though the format is PS (Packet switched).

So it does not consume your Data/Net balance.

VoLTE is also internet data. Basically a IP based network.

Service providers have different APN to carry Voice and normal internet traffic. done so as to give priority for Voice packets.

Switching off Mobile data will only switch you data APN's. VoLTE APNS still continue to work.

most service providers will use APN with name hos or ims(this can differ from provider to provider)

Anybody Jio preview offer user whose preview offer of 90days is over?

Plz tell wat they gonna do when 90 days over?

For them, Freedom plan is coming on August 15th..

20 minutes ago, SUDYEcaZ said:

Service providers have different APN to carry Voice and normal internet traffic. done so as to give priority for Voice packets.

Switching off Mobile data will only switch you data APN's. VoLTE APNS still continue to work.

most service providers will use APN with name hos or ims(this can differ from provider to provider)

I partially agree with you as far as APN is concerned - VoLTE is not internet data but uses same protocol PS (Packet Switched) which is used for Data services to connect to internet. VoLTE calls are not initiated through internet like Skype (IP based) etc. although they use same protocol.

I want to only clarify that it will not get added to our net usage which is for internet as some are thinking it as data consumption..

Edited by LTE4G

1 hour ago, KanagaDeepan said:

So freedom plan is for lyf users only I thought its commercial launch for everybody .

3 hours ago, SUDYEcaZ said:

No one is disputing that VoLTE also works over data network. But the point its whether it would be billed on per KB basis or per minute/second use basis. If its billed on per KB basis then it would be adjustable against so called Data plan, if it is billed on time basis then it would be adjustable against so called voice plan. Billing of VoLTE on per KB basis is not compliant to present legal framework in India.

1 hour ago, amit4ubel said:

So freedom plan is for lyf users only I thought its commercial launch for everybody .

It can be for both.

Edited by commonman

I got Rjio sim for Samsung phone. And using it on RN3. Working fine but benefit of 2gb is only. Wondering what will happen if I finish that 2gb

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Jio to launch MNP port in facility for new customers soon, might launch postpaid plans with 5-10 times more data & free voice calls.
http://goo.gl/IIoKQg

17 hours ago, KanagaDeepan said:

What is the Freedom plan? How much data do you get and the amount for it?

50 minutes ago, MVP said:

What is the Freedom plan? How much data do you get and the amount for it?

Sir ji, to be frank, I have no idea about that till now... They may change that (or increase benefits) in last day as well..