Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
coolrajiv

Dot Rings Mobile Number Portability

few days back MTNL MD said they are ready.. now this is realy googly from them...

Kan pak gaye MNP sunte sunte.

I think Arun we must shift this thread to Jokes Section

I fully support Hetal. It is indeed a joke.

If they are letting some private operators use them they are still to blame. It is high time that both MTNL and BSNL are wound up, or privatised (with or without merger). Only then will the attitude change. It will also be a salutary warning to all other PSUs.

Ready to implement Mobile Number Portability: BSNL

NEW DELHI: Mobile Number Portability, a service that allows mobile users to retain their phone number while shifting to a new operator, is all set

to be implemented from October this year, with BSNL declaring that is absolutely ready to start the service.

"Infrastructure is in place and testing is going on at the gateway," former BSNL Chairman and Managing Director Kuldeep Goyal told reporters before demitting office after superannuation on July 31.

After missing several deadlines, the government has now fixed October 31 as the new date for implementing MNP services across the nation.

Some new telecom operators are still far away from putting in place the required infrastructure, sources said, adding that with BSNL announcing its readiness, the government might not extend the deadline any further.

An MNP gateway is crucial for the MNP infrastructure. An MNP gateway is required to handle porting communication between operators.

"The whole network (all access service providers in all service areas and international long distance operators) in the country have to be ready and tested before the MNP service is implemented," the Department of Telecom (DoT) had said recently, adding that keeping in view the present status of implementation by various operators, the timeline has been extended to October 31, 2010.

Sources said some of the operators are waiting for delivery of equipment after placing purchase orders, while others are waiting for security clearance to place their purchase orders.

Sources said the government has warned that "strict action in accordance with conditions of license agreement shall be taken against the operators found deliberately delaying the implementation of MNP," in order to ensure that there is no further delay in rolling out MNP services.

This was discussed at a meeting held recently by the DoT with the operators.

As per the original schedule, MNP was to be implemented by December 31, 2009, in the Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai circles, as well as in the Maharashtra, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu circles. The deadline was then changed thrice for a nationwide launch.

Source ET

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/telecom/Ready-to-implement-Mobile-Number-Portability-BSNL/articleshow/6243765.cms

good to hear BSNL is getting ready, not sure about MTNL though who has been the main reason for the delay :Confuso:

@Arun: Fingers and Toes crossed. I am dying to dump my BSNL and switch to one of the others (most probably Airtel or Vodaphone). Do not want to change my number.

good to hear BSNL is getting ready, not sure about MTNL though who has been the main reason for the delay :Confuso:

Don't worry... BSNL will say after few days, that they need to get UPS/Battery from some-other country for installing in their new server for MNP implementation and DoT has NOT issued security clearance for that and they need another 6 months time for getting another sec.clearance.. May be it seems like a joke now, but who knows--It may be the next LAME excuse to be given by BSNL..

• Like 1

Telcos-DoT meet today to decide on portability

After missing several deadlines for launching mobile number portability (MNP), all mobile phone firms will meet officials from the telecom department on Monday to take a final call on this issue.

The meet will also determine if the country can meet its latest October 31 deadline for rolling out this facility, which allows cellphone customers to retain their mobile numbers while changing the service provider.

During Monday’s meeting, the Department of Telecom (DoT) is also likely to spell out stringent measures, including financial penalties it plans to impose if mobile phone firms further delay the implementation of this facility, an official aware of the development told ET.

This is because DoT has found that telcos have completed only 20.75% and 1.4% of the requisite testing required for intra-circle and inter-circle networks, respectively, for rolling out these services, the official added. All tests were slated to be completed by December-end 2009 so that customers could avail of this facility from January this year.

Despite all efforts of DoT, MNP in India may be a non-starter as the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) had rejected the proposal of US-based Telcordia Technologies, one of the two companies chosen to implement this technology here.

ET had first reported last month that FIPB, the government agency that clears all major investment proposals coming to India, had rejected Telcordia’s proposal on security grounds after the home ministry refused to grant its approval for the deal in its current format.

The FIPB had deliberated on Telcordia’s proposal for over eight months and had deferred it several times due to objections raised by the home ministry — one, the company’s presence in Pakistan and another the little experience its minority shareholders had in telecom.

FIPB’s rejection of Telcordia’s proposal implies that the October 31 deadline is unlikely to be met, implying that 650 million mobile phone users may not be able to enjoy the facility this calendar year. Syniverse is the other company that has been selected to implement MNP in India.

DoT has asked the industry lobbies representing private operators , COAI and AUSPI, to submit revised figures as to how much testing has been completed on their networks during Monday’s meet.

This is because these industry lobbies had told the telecom department that 82% of the testing had been completed or was in progress, while the department’s independent analysis revealed that the figure is only around 56%, officials with direct knowledge of the development added.

Source

Penalty for NON-IMPLEMENTATION is the way to go... But that is NOT going to happen imho, since Pvt players use BSNL/MTNL as third men and R@ja will say PSU should NOT be punished, as they are giving coverage/service to every corners in village and poor...

With FTAs coming thick and fast we are now in the habit of putting ever more non-tariff barriers. Mind you others do the same, but far fewer and more subtle. We want to sell under FTA but not buy!

It is the same as appeal everything in courts, since otherwise who will answer audit.

I am with HP for this, shift this topic to Joke section (which we may not have)

ye MNP ka chakkar kab khatam hoga !!!

• Like 1

DoT calls on Syniverse to oversee MNP nationwide

Thursday, 5 August 2010

TeleGeography

India’s Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has reportedly approached US-based Syniverse Technologies with a request that it prepare for a nationwide implementation of mobile number portability (MNP), rather than the geographically restricted launch it is currently gearing up for. According to the Business Standard, the other company selected to administer the service, MNP Interconnection Telecom Solutions India (MITSI), a joint venture including Telcordia Technologies, has had its licence approval revoked by the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB).

As noted in TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database, both Syniverse and MITSI were selected in March 2009 to oversee the introduction of MNP in India, with Syniverse agreeing to operate a clearing house covering northern and western states, while MITSI would administer the service in southern and eastern states. While MITSI initially received FIPB approval, citing security concerns the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) proposed to revoke the consent; the state’s decision was prompted by reports that Telcordia had signed a contract with Pakistan MNP Database for implementing MNP in the neighbouring country.

Commenting on this most recent development, a senior official at the DoT was quoted as saying: ‘The department has already asked Syniverse to ready itself to implement MNP all across India, as we might have to withdraw the licence of Telcordia after [the] FIPB rejected its proposal.’ It is believed that the regulator would prefer to call on Syniverse to pick up the slack, rather than re-opening the bidding for the southern and eastern states, which would only further delay the whole process. Originally the DoT had ordered that rollout of the service must take place in certain circles by 20 September 2009, with the remainder to come online by 20 March 2010. Several delays have since seen the current deadline slip back to 31 October 2010, in part caused by failures of network operators to upgrade their systems to be ready to offer the service, while the Telecoms Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) had also still failed to set tariffs for the service by early-2010.

HOPE we are back on track... HOPE is a big word...

DoT calls on Syniverse to oversee MNP nationwide

Thursday, 5 August 2010

TeleGeography

India’s Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has reportedly approached US-based Syniverse Technologies with a request that it prepare for a nationwide implementation of mobile number portability (MNP), rather than the geographically restricted launch it is currently gearing up for. According to the Business Standard, the other company selected to administer the service, MNP Interconnection Telecom Solutions India (MITSI), a joint venture including Telcordia Technologies, has had its licence approval revoked by the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB).

As noted in TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database, both Syniverse and MITSI were selected in March 2009 to oversee the introduction of MNP in India, with Syniverse agreeing to operate a clearing house covering northern and western states, while MITSI would administer the service in southern and eastern states. While MITSI initially received FIPB approval, citing security concerns the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) proposed to revoke the consent; the state’s decision was prompted by reports that Telcordia had signed a contract with Pakistan MNP Database for implementing MNP in the neighbouring country.

Commenting on this most recent development, a senior official at the DoT was quoted as saying: ‘The department has already asked Syniverse to ready itself to implement MNP all across India, as we might have to withdraw the licence of Telcordia after [the] FIPB rejected its proposal.’ It is believed that the regulator would prefer to call on Syniverse to pick up the slack, rather than re-opening the bidding for the southern and eastern states, which would only further delay the whole process. Originally the DoT had ordered that rollout of the service must take place in certain circles by 20 September 2009, with the remainder to come online by 20 March 2010. Several delays have since seen the current deadline slip back to 31 October 2010, in part caused by failures of network operators to upgrade their systems to be ready to offer the service, while the Telecoms Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) had also still failed to set tariffs for the service by early-2010.

If that's the case, Why can't DoT make decisions public?

Let them announce officially that MITSI's license is revoked and Syniverse is the pan-India MNP service provider.

It'll make all the stakeholders(read as Telecom Operators, NLD & ILD service providers) clear of whom they've to interconnect with.

We don't want to hear the story on 31st October 2010 that says "some operators in southern and eastern states have connected to MITSI and other operators in southern and eastern states have connected to Syniverse due to which we postpone MNP for another 3 months"

Why the hell MHA is sitting on this Telcordia issue for such a llooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg time?

Why can't DoT sit with MHA and Law ministry to close Telcordia issue once for all?

:ranting::ranting::ranting:

so videocon, loop and s tel must be launch MNP ready network.

Any operator starting commercial operation in any service area on or after 1st September 2010 must be MNP-Compliant

source :: http://dot.gov.in/as/MNP/MNP_10.08.2010.pdf

:clap: :clap: :clap:

A very good move indeed by DoT

Finall we can be confidant MNP will surely be implemented.Some operators may delay by few more months but cannot stop it :clap:

Its all about costs. MNP needs equipments that are costly and operators keep changing statements and deadlines to see if the MNP guidelines gets diluted and they gets away with major investment. Now govt says to stop 3G implementation till survillance equipments are in place!!

All what public sees and hears is not true. Govt and Liasioning agencies have a different story all to gather. Whats cooking at the back is anyones guess. Some times I feel does our govt even care of thier voters who bring them to power.

The cat has been belled. No launching of any commercial service in any area

without being MNP compliant is the catch of DOT's order.

Operators desperate to launch 3G services will now be compelled to be

MNP compliant. Finally , MNP may see the light of the day on Nov 1-2010

Now govt says to stop 3G implementation till survillance equipments are in place!!

All what public sees and hears is not true. Govt and Liasioning agencies have a different story all to gather. Whats cooking at the back is anyones guess. Some times I feel does our govt even care of thier voters who bring them to power.

even 3g sevices cannot be launched by anyone unless they

are MNP complaint

I beg to differ... This also seems like an eye-wash, rather a cunning one imho.. Let us NOT have hopes too high friends..

Let us NOT forget that, Cartel guys are using BSNL/MTNL as third men here and these PSUs have already started 3G services.. So Cartel will say "we are ready with MNP and give 3G spectrum to me and allow me to start my 3G services...".. BSNL/MTNL will say "I am NOT ready with MNP and YOU CAN'T STOP my 3G SERVICE.. ONLY WAY IS TO STOP MNP.."

So DoT will have to allow 3G to private players and BLOCK MNP due to THIRD-MEN PSUs and everyone will once-again blame BSNL/MTNL.. We will be back to Square ONE..

Sorry to disappoint you all, friends.. But, I don't think that Airte1, V0dafone, Ide@ will allow MNP to come BEFORE 3G..

But after 3G, cartel may allow MNP as they can charge premium for 3G services and existing higher ARPU customers MAY NOT JUMP to new players for want of 3G.. :Ohhhh: That is the only hope for MNP...

Just my two cents..

@Kanaga Deepan N Yarr tumhe itna door ka kaise Sujh jata h...:winko:

Still I dont believe, its going to happen

'mera Bharat mahan' ...

Guys ...start collecting VIP numbers

I have booked the number ABC1110000 for 5K :winko:

and 93XXY20002 for free

Edited by FEVIN-RAJ

another deadline... MNP will now implemented by 31st october.... :rofl_200: :rofl_200: :rofl_200: :rofl_200:

Source: Hindustan Times, Mumbai edition (13/08/2010) page 1 & 11

Minister of State forCommunications and Information TechnologySachin Pilot said number portability would be implemented by October 31, the fourth deadline.

Minister of State for Communications and InformationTechnology,Sachin Pilot todayinformed Rajya Sabha thatthe mobile number portability(MNP) would be implementedbyOctober 31, the fourth deadline in seven months.

MNP allows asubscriber to changehis serviceprovider, whileretaining hisnumber.Once MNPis implemented, competitionbetweenoperatorsisexpectedtoincreaseandqualityofservices is expected to improve.

Generally,customersdonot want to changetheir numbers thattheyhavebeen using.This benefits incumbent operators as their large subscriber base is forcedtostick withthemeven if theyare not satisfied with the services.

The first deadline forMNP om Nov1 wasDecember 2009.Itwas extended to March 2010 as operatorswerenot readyfor it.

Later,itwas further extended to June 2010.When the networkswerenot technically readyeventhen, the government has nowextended the deadline to October31.

Theministeralsoinformed the Rajya Sabha thatall networksinthe country have been technically upgraded forimplementations of MNP except MahanagarTelephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL), which is in the process of upgradation.

“Keepingthecomplexityand enormityofthetesting involved beforeMNP is implemented and keeping in viewofthe status of implementation by various operatorsinthe month of June 2010,government has extendedthe time line forimplementation of MNP to 31st October,2010,” said Pilot in a written reply in Rajya Sabha.

Edited by csmart

I agree 100% with you. This is India.....there will be more and more deadlines....broken and extended.

Now govt says to stop 3G implementation till survillance equipments are in place!!

even 3g sevices cannot be launched by anyone unless they

are MNP complaint

I beg to differ... This also seems like an eye-wash, rather a cunning one imho.. Let us NOT have hopes too high friends..

Let us NOT forget that, Cartel guys are using BSNL/MTNL as third men here and these PSUs have already started 3G services.. So Cartel will say "we are ready with MNP and give 3G spectrum to me and allow me to start my 3G services...".. BSNL/MTNL will say "I am NOT ready with MNP and YOU CAN'T STOP my 3G SERVICE.. ONLY WAY IS TO STOP MNP.."

So DoT will have to allow 3G to private players and BLOCK MNP due to THIRD-MEN PSUs and everyone will once-again blame BSNL/MTNL.. We will be back to Square ONE..

Sorry to disappoint you all, friends.. But, I don't think that Airte1, V0dafone, Ide@ will allow MNP to come BEFORE 3G..

But after 3G, cartel may allow MNP as they can charge premium for 3G services and existing higher ARPU customers MAY NOT JUMP to new players for want of 3G.. :Ohhhh: That is the only hope for MNP...

Just my two cents..