Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Honest

Updated : Iphone 3g Out In India !

EXCLUSIVE: iPhone 3G Out in India Next Month!

91366_matter.jpg

Here we have it folks, an exclusive on the iPhone's availability in India. When, how much, what features, software -- everything you ever wanted to know about the iPhone 3G in India! We know you want to get to the meat of the matter, so without further ado, here's what you need to know:

iPhone 3G Availability: Vodafone to have a 15 day launch advantage (available August '08 through Vodafone, and late Aug/September '08 through Airtel)

Model: Initially, the 8GB version only

Price: Rs. 11,500 to Rs. 12,000 (note: U.S. price of the 8GB iPhone 3G is $199)

Applications: App Store will be available

App prices: Application prices may see a revision to suit Indian market

3G: No fixed date for 3G availability; expected sometime later this year

GPS: Present on the Indian version as well

Grey-market availability: Almost nowhere to be seen. One store expects to sell it next week at Rs. 50,000

91366_iphone11.jpg

While we all await the release of the iPhone 3G in India, some questions are pressing. In many ways, the iPhone is a platform - a means and a tool to unlock far greater features through new and sundry software. Until recently, the only means of installing software not produced by Apple was through illegal avenues. Now though, with the launch of the App Store, Apple has brought third-party software under a legal umbrella. Thus, the first question is this: will we, in India, get access to the same App Store that the people in the U.S. and other western countries enjoy? Further, would pricing be in Rupees or would we need to pay in Dollars? What about 3G - a feature so central to the iPhone that it's part of its name, its identity - will the iPhone be released along with 3G coverage?

To put it simply, will the iPhone offer the same value proposition in India, as it does abroad? We try and answer some of these burning questions here in this TechTree exclusive.

We contacted the necessary parties at Apple, Vodafone and Airtel - the latter being iPhone's official carriers in India - to get the required answers. While Apple and Vodafone were tight-lipped about release details, we struck gold with Airtel. Our source at Airtel, who wishes to remain anonymous, gave us valuable insight. Most of it, good news.

According to our source, the iPhone 3G will bring along most of the software goodies that are available in the West. In fact, the source went on to add, some of the features will be customized to suit the Indian tariff. The source confirmed that we would also be able to purchase software from the App Store with a possibly of a revised price for the Indian consumer, quickly adding that the price revision is not set in stone.

91366_appstore21.jpg

Let's move on to the meat of the matter - when will the iPhone be available in India?

When I last spoke to our source from Airtel, I was told that the iPhone 3G launch was scheduled for the 25th of August, with the caveat that the date may be pushed to early September for supply reasons. Apparently, the number of pre-orders for the iPhone have exceeded the initial product allotment by Apple.

Interestingly, our source from Airtel confirmed that Vodafone will be the first to introduce the iPhone 3G in India, with a 15-day launch advantage over Airtel, thanks to Vodafone's global tie-ups. If we are to believe Airtel, Vodafone should introduce the iPhone 3G by end of August at least. That's only a month from now!

So does this mean Vodafone will get to gorge on the subscription of maximum number of iPhone-hungry Indians due to the company's first-in-line advantage? Is the iPhone 3G is likely to become a "Vodafone product"?

One would obviously like to think so, but Airtel differs on this aspect. Our source assertively stated that Vodafone hasn't been able to create the kind of impact on the prospective iPhone buyers as Airtel has with its aggressive marketing. The latter added, "We will make sure we don t downplay them (Vodafone), but we will create an impact of our own."

91366_appstore11.jpg

There has been a lot of speculation over the price of the iPhone. Initially, only the 8 GB version of the iPhone 3G will be officially launched in India. The handset is expected to cost between Rs. 11,500 and Rs. 12,000, says our source. Compare this to the $199 price tag of the 8GB version in the U.S, and it's obvious that India is once again going to feel the import-duty pinch. Moreover, this price does not include the data plan costs that a user will have to bear every month, the details of which will only be out by the 15th of August, our source indicated. There are still deliberations being made on the specifics of the plan, we were told.

If you want the iPhone 3G right away, you need to look to the grey market. The scene there isn't all rosy though, with rumors flying of Airtel and Vodafone clamping down on parallel imports. The market-reality seemed to lend credence to these rumors as most vendors we contacted told us that the iPhone (old model or new) was unavailable for purchase. One Mr. Munshi Adnan, owner of a shop called "Gadgets" at Heera Panna, in Mumbai, promises to offer the iPhone 3G next week. He claimed to have it around July 28th, and quoted a princely sum of Rs. 40,000 to Rs. 50,000!

91366_iphone21.jpg

While all of the above is largely good news, the bad news comes in the garb of the key feature: 3G. Nobody seemed willing to place a date on 3G availability in India, the arrival of which is still a rather nebulous 'sometime late this year'. We have a bad feeling about this. Our source did confirm though that GPS (a feature through which the iPhone 3G can track your location) would be a present in the Indian avatar of the Apple iPhone 3G.

So there you have it! Mostly good news for those of us who have waited for the release date of this product.

Courtesy : Techtree

The iPhone price seems to be quite reasonable when compared to grey market price going on currently at around 22K for 1st gen model

11-12 k is pretty cool price for 8 GB memory. 8 GB memrory alone cost about 2K. No smart phone is as cheap if this price is not attached with contract. I think they will offer along with contract only.

I dont think the price is going to be 11-12 k. Converting USD price in INR is not the right way to do it. In the US iphone is being subsidized by the service provider and he expects to make up the losses through 3G data revenues. In india operators will not bet on data usage too much because there is no 3G. So assume a price of at least 400 USD for 8Gb model minimum. My guess is the prices are going to be around 20k.

India to Get iPhone 3G on August 18

So after much digging, we've got information on the official date for the India launch of the iPhone 3G.

img_78161_iphone_india_2.jpg

Vodafone will launch the iPhone 3G first on the 18th of August.

Courtesy : Tech2

Vodafone to Sell iPhone 3G for 13K?

Now it's clear that Vodafone will ace the iPhone 3G launch in India to Airtel by a few days, making 18th of August the day of the launch. Some more info to come floating out of the rumor mill is that the price of the phone bundled with Vodafone will be around Rs 13,000 for the 8GB model.

Our common sense says to believe this rumor only when it's confirmed, because it does seem too low a price for the iPhone 3G bundled with a plan.

I can bet my a$$ that its not gonna be less than 22k.

Cracked 3g i phone available at chennai for 75000

Cracked 3g i phone available at chennai for 75000

^^^

Its toooooo much my dear Praveen. Who's going to purchase this at 75000/-, when it is going to be officially available from 18th August 2008 in India. No matter what will be the official price in India, but it is sure that the official price will not be that much high.

Regards.

Airtel is Selling locked HTC Diamond @ 25000 how can iphone could be sold @ 13000

12000 Difference is also not the Yearly margin of any Vodafone Bills Plan

Airtel is Selling locked HTC Diamond @ 25000 how can iphone could be sold @ 13000

12000 Difference is also not the Yearly margin of any Vodafone Bills Plan

^^^

Very correct my dear Hetal. Thats why i put a question mark in the heading of my post.

Vodafone to Sell iPhone 3G for 13K?

Regards.

I also read it somewhere that its going to be in the range of Rs11k-Rs12k

Lets hope for the best,at this rate we can surely say "tata" to "reliance" :Contento:

I guess most people would prefer to have an iPhone only as an entertainment tool. The utility factor for a windows based mobile phone,like HTC Mogul or Touch, is much higher, if it is to be used for official purposes. So 22K would be too high a price to pay for an entertainment gadget for working middle class like me. If Vodaphone/Airtel plan to sell it to the masses, then they better keep the cost under 15K.

very truely said rajat..!! nothing would come in the way of win mobile devices if it is for office applications!!

I think I-phone will be available at 11-15 k, but will be under contract of 2 yrs or above.. I-phone under contract is heavily subsidized by operator.. However without contract, it would be no less than 22 K..

Palringo Now on The iPhone

Palringo is in the news again, only this time they’ve gone the iPhone way and developed their IM chat client for Apple’s handset. With support for Yahoo Messenger, AIM, Google Talk and Windows Live Messenger, iPhone users can stay connected on multiple IDs and stay in touch with all their online contacts.

img_79171_iphone_palringo.jpg

The Palringo application is available for download from Apple’s AppStore.

^^^

@AmanJ

My dear friend, hope you get the answer to your querry after reading this whole thread.

Yes, the launch date for Iphone in India is 18th August.

Regards.

Airtel to launch 3G iPhone on Aug 22

Apple's iPhone, the touch screen handset that acquired a cult status in the US and other western countries, will be available to Indian mobile users through Bharti Airtel at the stroke of midnight on August 21, giving competitors like Nokia, Samsung and others a run for their money.

Millions of Airtel subscribers will be able to purchase the iPhone at Airtel's Relationship Centres from August 22, a company statement said in New Delhi.

"iPhone has been an iconic technological revelation of this year and Airtel has been at the forefront of innovation and customer delight in the Indian telecom sector," Sanjay Kapoor, President, Bharti Airtel mobile services, said.

iPhone is embedded with all 3G features and is twice as fast as the existing mobile phones. The phone also has in-built GPS system, that facilitates as a navigation and positioning tool.

US-based Apple has tied up with Airtel and Vodafone to bring iPhone in the country.

Asked at what price it will be available, Bharti Airtel officials declined to give details.

"Introducing iPhone in India further underscores Bharti's commitment to enrich the communication experience of Airtel users," Kapoor said.

Leading cell phone makers like Nokia, Motorola and Samsung have stepped up their R&D efforts to bring feature rich phones in India to compete iPhones.

Vodafone is also slated to bring Apples's iPhone this year.

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/Airte...-Aug-22/345358/

Jokie... 3G and all when they dont even have a decent network for the most basic use - voice!!! Beware guys in Mah circle... If you fall for this, you will be left holding a fancy phone that may good good at most other things except talking... Lol!!!

iPhone 3G Pricing Out

Everything about the iPhone 3G launching in India is known. Everything but the price.

img_81121_iphone3g.jpg

Well, that's about to change now as we've received official pricing for the most-awaited phone.

The 8 GB version of the iPhone 3G will cost Rs. 31,000, while the 16 GB version will cost between Rs. 36,000 and Rs. 37,000.

These prices are not inclusive of the plan these phones will come bundled with.

Customers buying the iPhone will have a choice of plans to choose from, so stay online with us to get those details soon.

Its too high, I think so. That too for network locked handset.

Price is way too high.. I better ask my friend to get it for me from UK.. I hope it will be unlocked here and will be able to use most of the features.. Can anyone plz throw light on this?

As of now the Iphone 3G Cannot be unlocked. Iphone-Dev Team is working on it but sooner or later i m sure they would be able to unlock the 3G Iphone.