Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
situ1962

The New Palm To Look Out For

@deepak, 3500 is only for the touchstone charger and its compatible back cover.... $550 is for the handset pack... the touchstone charger and the back cover needs to be bought seperately, it doesn't come bundled with the phone...

@doc, dont u think $550 is high?? looks like palm wants to cash in on the opportunity..!! we might have to wait for bad e** phones after a few months of launch, which might come in cheap for cdma connections (tata) that is..!!

^^^

yes this is the last oppurtunty that palm has to make for loses...

but i wont be goin for cdma version of palm pre ....simply coz we never know when it will be cracked or when will data work on it properly on non sprint networks ...

i will rather go for gsm variant of this phone .

^^ doc, do u think once mnp comes in, we might be able to retain the number and also change our service provider from cdma (reliance) to gsm??

Tech crunch:

The Palm Pre Will Fail

An “also-ran” is, literally, “a horse that does not win, place, or show in a race.” The world loves an underdog but it never loves an also-ran. It forgets about an also-ran.

And so we reach nearly the end of Palm Pre madness and I’m afraid to report that after all the magic, all the tears, all the joy the Palm Pre will be just another phone. It won’t save Palm, it won’t change paradigms, and it won’t send the iPhone hegemony crashing to its knees. The Palm Pre will launch with a whisper, not a bang.

Why? Because we hyped it too much. Because the software is untested in real-life situations and we, as neophiles, are delightfully impatient when it comes to wonky design. Because the hardware is “plasticky,” according to Boy Genius and “you often hit multiple keys at the same time while typing.” Because, to paraphrase the old saying, no matter how much you obsess and how many Apple engineers you hire the last opinion always falls to the consumer.

I would equate this launch to the G1. Instead of creating an entirely new trunk Palm is branching off of the established phone environments. This new branch will be healthy and well-recieved and I’m sure they’ll sell a few models but this is carrier/OEM blindness at its worst. The pricing will be high, the feature set will remind the world of every other wonky LG and Samsung out there, and the OS will be half-baked at launch.

Then there’s the viral/goodwill aspect. You can’t unlock this phone in America or Europe because it doesn’t have a SIM card slot. The iPhone (I didn’t want to bring up that name but I’m trying to prove a point) was popular world-wide before it launched world-wide. This is an important fact. Then you have the fact that Sprint is considered a “meh” carrier with Verizon winner of the coverage wars and AT&T the go-to carrier for “3G.”

Eric Zeman, phonescooper, shares my opinion that this thing will be buried. The phone launches in nine days, two days before the new iPhone (and there will be a new iPhone or I’ll eat my hat (Caveat: hat must be made of jerky)), and when it does it will join blow out like a solar flare - majestic, powerful, but all too fleeting.

source: http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/05/28/palm-pre-an-also-ran/

BGR is apple fan..... so this kinda review was expected :)

Every body compares palm KB with E71, I must say E71 KB too is not as great. E61 was much better, due to simple fact that size (width) was more. There is always bargain.

About OS, apple MAC OS is really great OS for Multimedia with so so many flaws. Yet , because its apple and its tolerated.Which Applications were available when Iphone was launched?

Worst part of iphone is you have to first give your credit card details even if you want to install free of charge applications.

Mistake palm is making is to launch it in confined environment of CDMA, if they come with GSM, unlocked, I am sure it will hit it Europe and Asia.

^^ pre is gonna come with gsm in EU markets soon..!!

the above mentioned articale about palm pre was definately written by some apple fanboy ....palm pre will definately be a success.

palm pre will be launched in gsm markets in US and elsewhere in next 6mnths .

About OS, apple MAC OS is really great OS for Multimedia with so so many flaws. Yet , because its apple and its tolerated.Which Applications were available when Iphone was launched?

there are not many flaws in the OS ...

i agree there were no apps at the time when iphone was launched but today app store is biggest online store for apps /games and it has made other manufatures to have online stoeres .

Worst part of iphone is you have to first give your credit card details even if you want to install free of charge applications.

no u dont need to

u can register an account with itunes without credit card .

now even apple supports registrations with credit cards

ok

so sprint went official with a press statement that they will have pre exclusive for entire 2009 ..

so this implies that we wont be seeing pre on any other carrier or gsm markets atleast in 2009 . :Equivocado:

^^^

most of what at&t and verizon have said is that they'll be adding pre in the next six months... 2009 would be over already then so these statements both will hold :)

PALM PRE LAUNCH A SUCCESS !

Palm Pre seems to have had a fairly good launch. Around 0.5 to 1.0 lac sold compared to 1.5 lac on iPhone launch.

Best launch for Sprint ever

Sprint Sets Sales Record With Weekend Debut of Palm Pre

Though the lines & crowd was much less than iPhone it seems !

And here's a really detailed review. and all on one page thankfully.

www.prethinking.com

So when can we expect Sadik to get this for us ?

it will be a good competition with apple launching its new version of iphone , iphone 3GS which will go on sale on 19th june .

Will it be possible to make the Palm Pre work on Reliance when they launch EVDO for voice?

Edited by srk006

if it comes with the same programming base as in the case of centro, then it would be a hard nut to crack initially...

Here's the best Palm Pre review and comparison with iPhone that I've seen till date - by Anandtech

Single Page Version

Edited by amione