Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
SumitVerma

Sprint HTC EVO 4G

regarding what? please discuss any problems openly on the forum, as I receive so many pm's I dont see all of them...

Sprint kills the HTC EVO update in light of bricked handsets

evo.png

Almost immediately after Sprint started rolling out this morning’s over-the-air update for the HTC EVO 4G, we started getting tips claiming that the patch had totally wrecked their handset.

Some of the folks complaining had modified their handsets through unofficial means; others were running it just as it came from the factory. Whatever was triggering it, one thing was sure: these handsets were now straight up broken.

Pulling the safety cord before too many handsets get bricked, Sprint and HTC have just terminated the distribution of the OTA update. Read Sprint’s comment after the jump.

Sprint’s comment:

While the vast majority of consumers successfully downloaded and installed the most recent HTC EVO 4G software update, we have received a handful of reports from customers having some issues with the update. In light of this, HTC and Sprint have decided to temporarily halt distribution of this software release until we can investigate further. We expect to be able to resume software updates shortly.

We’ve got no idea how widescale this issue is, but it seems pretty severe; we counted a few dozen complaints when we searched for verification early this morning, and that wasn’t too long after the update first went out. Given that these bricked handsets seem to be mostly irreparable, we can only hope Sprint’s got an emergency stockpile of replacement EVOs (and bill credit) for those who got tagged.

Its mostly rooted handsets facing this issue even though people may lie about this fact... and this ota had a root patch built in causing this issue... lol

For smartphones, bigger displays not always better

But bigger isn't always better.

Because of the bigger display size, text on the screen — in a Web page, say, or an e-mail message — is noticeably larger than it is on an iPhone or HTC's Droid Incredible, which has a standard-size screen. That's a good thing for those of us with weak eyesight or who are tired of squinting at too-small text.

However, the big screens are being touted as much for video as for simply displaying Web pages or e-mail. Both phones include video services or apps that allow users to watch television or movies on them.

But that's where the bigger screens actually come up short. While both phones' displays are bigger than those of other touch-screen smartphones, they have the same number of pixels as those other devices, or even fewer if compared with the new iPhone 4.That means video and movies on the big-screen phones are noticeably less sharp and more pixilated than they are on the screens of smaller rivals, particularly the iPhone 4. And while you can record high-definition video using the 8-megapixel cameras built into both devices, you can't watch those videos in their native resolution on the phones.

Another consequence of the big screens is that the phones are significantly larger than other smartphones in both their physical dimensions and weight. They'll still fit in a shirt pocket, but I found that holding them in my hand or up to my ear felt awkward.

Edited by dkaile

Sprint re-releases HTC EVO update after previous one did some bricking

Earlier this week Sprint released an update to the HTC EVO. While the update provided a bunch of enhancements and fixes, including improvements to Wi-Fi and battery performance, it also had one negative side-effect: bricking your phone. According to reports, some users' phones were left dead in the water after performing the update. Moments after reports started surfacing, Sprint pulled the update. Now the update is back and so far no bricks have been reported.

I updated as soon as the update came out and I think I know what caused the bricking. My phone hung on the "welcome to 4G" screen for a very long time after performing the update, and I almost pulled the battery. Just as I was about to the phone came back to life. My guess is that people probably pulled the battery during the update process, thereby rendering their HTC EVO unusable.

The biggest issue with the HTC EVO being bricked was that Sprint doesn't have any stock available to replace a bricked phone currently. It seems that the phone is selling really well, but unfortunately had one bad update.

If you successfully updated your phone earlier this week, there's no need to grab the latest update.

Edited by dkaile

Panga nahi lena chahiye.

US waalon ko toh replacement mil jaayegi but we will have a stupid brick :rofl_200: :'( :death::banned2:

im getting this update reminded at regular intervals whenever i switch on the internet thru wifi or data but i have still not updated the software on my phone to be on the safer side. im still comfortable and enjoying my EVO as it is...so as rightly said by sumit...no panga.... lol:rofl_200:

^

Enjoying all updates on Incredible without panga or fear... and awaiting the latest one to HD video, wifi tethering and draft n....:rofl_200:

The thing is I never mind switching to custom roms and I am already on them. There is no single phone that I have is running on stock rom each one is flashed with a custom rom and devices are much more stable than before, Including EVO.

@ scorpionking, if you are not rooted I dont think you will have any issues with the update.

Still if you want to be on the safe side, just wait for a day or two and look at the reviews about update on ppcgeeks or xda-dev.

Edited by SumitVerma

90% of custom roms ****; tried at least 100's; something or the other does not work... there are only 10% that are ok types... but then rooters are always ready for compromises which I am not...

Zero compromise on fresh rom for evo. I can warranty that(Coz Guarantee koi nahi deta :P)

I came accross something interesting.

best 4 part videos of ROOTing your EVO

Sprint is the first wireless carrier to bring Android 2.2 to customers using the award-winning HTC EVO™ 4G beginning Tuesday, Aug. 3

I hope custom roms will boost up now with the froyo and lucky non-rooters will be able to flash with the official one!

BTW, got a skin on my EVO so attached a picture

post-44393-098874900 1280453108_thumb.jp

^^^ The skin looks awesome man... :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido::SI:

Edited by Greatest

90% of custom roms ****; tried at least 100's; something or the other does not work... there are only 10% that are ok types... but then rooters are always ready for compromises which I am not...

WRONG : if you are running Pre Leaked Custom ROM menas runing 2.2 while Official is still on 2.1 then yes so many Functionality are missing cuase even HTC can not patch it or else there will be 2.2 in Market same day Google Announced Froyo 2 months back.

But if your are Running Custom ROMs Based only Official OTA or RUU 80% ROMs works just fine and more speedier then Actual ROM. i am flasher from G1 days and all CynogenM Release have 100% Functionality in Final release and DAMN good then SENSE rom

@Kaile Official ROM ka kya matlab Jab mere ko Hero Bechna tha tab 2.1 aya.

it was almost 6 month delay from HTC side. rather i enjoyed my own ROM which was at working 100% on Leaked Released and still there in mobile5.

New Activation and Licencing Method is comming so if you want Pirated Software You must have to come to Custom and Rooted Phone lol.

Nahi to Jeb Khali karo (I always Support this)

^

lol hetal, tum mere hi peeche pad gaye... :winko:

anyways, thats your point of view, but I do disagree... as I want perfect roms and am not ready for compromises... whereas you (and other hackers) are just ready for anything as long as its NEW... I can wait but want perfectly configured..

ab tumhari nayi roms me kya kya cheeze kaam nahi karti... mooh mat khulvao... LOL... like I said 10% of the customs roms do work flawlessly...

Edited by dkaile

Seriously there isnt a single flaw with the roms I am using, Incre I have no idea but evo is really smooth.

arey bhai log

once u have custom recovery

you can flash as many roms as u want

open source ka kya fayda if u not enjoying customs roms and other stuff

then whats fun of an OS like android

if u dont like a rom u can always flash the official roms which are also available in zip format

and donot forget the awesome feaure nandroid backup

whenever u load a new rom take nandroid backup

agar pasand nahi aya to wapis on old state where u were happy

so many options are there

then why not try and explore android more

why to sit on fence for months and months waiting for official releases !!!

@hetal

LOL

yeh kya tumne apne pic ko kiya hua hai

pata hai tum handsome ho

aur kya dikhana chahte ho ...............:Contento:

Edited by Mufaddal

@muffy

Installed PhotoShop CS4 so lets clean up some faces and First is Mine lol

:previous:

Hmmmmmmmm

Sahi hai Hetal Bhai

Sprint is the first wireless carrier to bring Android 2.2 to customers using the award-winning HTC EVO™ 4G beginning Tuesday, Aug. 3

I hope custom roms will boost up now with the froyo and lucky non-rooters will be able to flash with the official one!

BTW, got a skin on my EVO so attached a picture

post-44393-098874900 1280453108_thumb.jp

You mean the rooted ones will not be able to ? There must be a work-around this...Like maybe using Stock RUU to get back to stock and then getting the update then re-rooting?

Edited by gaurangbhartia

^

Thats useless waste, Its better to wait for the custom releases.