Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
dkaile

Sprint Samsung Epic 4G - The Beast Is Here!

Great Free Flashlight Application specifically for Epic 4G - Tiny Flashlight + LED by Nikolay Ananiev (search by this name in Market)

Also, I liked Battery Level by Guillaume BOUERAT - shows exact battery level in top left corner of notification bar

Also install these 2 applications available EXCLUSIVELY only for Epic 4G in market (wont show on other phones) -

- Desk Home Samsung

post-18748-098515700 1288266017_thumb.jp post-18748-059984200 1288266007_thumb.jp

- Car Home Samsung

HTC Like Home Clock Widget is - Fancy Widget (apk attached as its not available in market as HTC has got it banned as its exact clone of the Sense clock... LOL)

com.fancywidget.android-1.apk

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 3

Getting started with the Epic 4G. Everything you (probably) need to know

Use the above link to download drivers, root your phone and install clockwork recovery in 1 easy step and transition to the best Andromeda rom and kernel.

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 1

Problem - PC doesnt detect the micro sd card on the epic (i.e. as a mass storage device)

Solution - Dial ##8778# on the dialler and choose the option PDA for USB (and not modem)

All drivers for 32 bit and 64 bit can be downloaded from the above link I have given.

• Like 2

:thumb: second proud owner of EPIC 4G of UP (first is Dj, i believe)... Congratulations Sir.. :)

This is what i like about Dhirajbhai.

-His childlike curiousity to explore everything in great detail and taking great joy in sharing it with everyone.

-Authentic, No nonsense findings and great writing style (Its the Fortuner that I always desired... will trample all the Marutis)

And he has this Epic in his hand most probably since only last 2 days if i am not wrong.

Shows what great commitment he has to the community in sharing the knowledge and enriching eveyone!!!

+1 is not enough but that's all i can do!!

Minor surprises and quircks (besides the above major likes and dislikes); keep watching this, I will keep updating it -

Surprises-

- I can copy from message thread directly any message text I want to (was missing in the HTC Sense interface of Incredible, where I had to forward and then copy and then delete the forwarded message), highly convenient feature and must have in all android phones. I can immediately copy paste into email or chat...

- The Swype keyboard is free and included along with Samsung interface. BUT the slide out keyboard is BETTER. Maybe I will start using it after all...

- The inbuilt task manager also pops out on long press of home button (great addition) and its easy to close and manage applications; this was missing in default htc sense

- The Smart Dialler is in fact very very good (which I thought never existed in this phone). A right tab arrives with each number/alphabet you type with corresponding number of matching contacts; And on clicking that the complete list is displayed.

- Inbuilt File Manager and Task Manager (unlike HTC where you had to download from Market)

- swiping horizontally on the notification bar increases or decreases the brightness

- the calculator automatically turns to scientific calculator when viewed in landscape

Quircks -

-Sign shows 3G even on 1X (LOL - good for morale)

- In portrait mode its difficult to scroll in text applications etc. as no scroll pad is there and the beautiful keyboard needs to be opened; maybe it will get me using it... lol

- Call log doesnt show call duration(people are using 3rd party app Dialer One to solve this issue) I used "A simple Call Log" app

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 1

+2 for the very clean reviews...as usual dkaile is always an expert in unboxing and reviewing !!! :thumb:

dk... rocking man...now post pix you taken from Epic so everyone knows how the quality is...

:thumb: :thumb:

Very good review in simple terms ! :signthankspin:

+1 to you...

Here is a simple solution to fix GPS issue on Samsung Epic 4G:

1. Enter *#1472365# in the dialer

(For ECLAIR: * # * # 1 4 7 2 3 6 5 # * # * For FROYO: * # * # 3 2 1 4 7 8 9 6 5 0 # * # *)

2. Tap Setup, select Position Mode, select Starting Mode

3. Change the option from "Hot Start" to "Cold Start"

Also I found using GPS with WiFi somehow delays the fix; Using it on data hastens it.

Rest settings should be MSBased and Navigation.

Also for improved and immediate GPS fix download the GPS Test application. Helps a lot.

Updated (21-12-2010)

PROPER GPS FIX FOR THIS ROM (DI18)

Go to some open to sky place

open dialer -> dial -> *#1472365#

this will pop up menu

1. go to setup -> Position Mode -> Starting mode -> set it to cold start

epic4ggps.jpg

2. download gps status & tool from market

3. it will show up some satellite.

4. now again go to Dialer -> dial -> *#1472365#

5. this time do warm start and go to same app gps tools -> this will too show some satellite

6. Now again go to dialer -> dial -> *#1472365#

7. this time do hot start and go to same gps tool app -> this time it will show more satellite.

8. wait for all satellite to lock -> b4 locking satellite will blink in and out

9. once gps fixed enjoy fast gps on this rom; also use this fix if you are migration to DK28 (Froyo) rom afterwards and enjoy gps locking

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 1

one thing u missed to mention

Epic has inbuilt support for yahoo mails with imap push

something missing in many android phones , for which u has to use yahoo app from market

but on epic its inbuilt and gives push for yahoo as well

• Like 1

+1 for Dhiraj ji for this good review, long awaited.

one thing u missed to mention

Epic has inbuilt support for yahoo mails with imap push

something missing in many android phones , for which u has to use yahoo app from market

but on epic its inbuilt and gives push for yahoo as well

That is a very good thing. I used Yahoo! without flaws on my Hero but couldn't use it on Incredible so have to use the Yahoo Mail app.

+1.for.research

Under Development.... (I will also add actual unboxing photos); comments are now welcome....

What I like about EPIC -

- Absolute Multimedia Monster (Screen and Sound is unmatchable; I have to lower volumes for my Ringtones first time on any phone)

- Base 4 icons of the default Samsung launcher

- Desk Home App

- Front Facing Camera (missing on my Incredible)

- Great sliding keyboard (the best on any phone as on date)

- Great 5MP camera with Flash (night photography is better than the 8MP of Incredible)

- Looks great in hand (blows all phones away); Its the Fortuner that I always desired... will trample all the Marutis.... like this phone will trounce all iphone 4's, W7's and N8's.... LOL

- Accessory bundle is better in terms of 5.1 surround Heaphones (while playing movies through headphones)

- Dedicated Camera Button (sorely missed on Incredible)

- Superb call Quality and Tower strength

- Great DOCK (costs about 2.5-3K extra)

What I dislike -

- Poor GPS

- Hard soft keys

- Bulk (twice as fat than Incredible)

- HTC Sense interface was better

- Lack of Android 2.2 for now

I got update notification and did the update to DI18 from the DI07 that was on the phone after activating my number by *228

It took me less than 30 minutes to transfer all my contacts, applications, sms's etc. into this new phone. Thats the joy of Android OS; no tears while changing phones.

The BEAST revealed

epic4gfront600.jpg

The Beast's Front -

epic4gfront.jpg

and the BACK -

epic4gback.jpg

My Dock on the Way -

epic4gdock.jpg

wonderful review... was waiting since long... +1 for u..

awcustom.jpg

Sir +1 for your efforts and review

लो मे आगय ....

Hey we finally have u doled in EPIC action mania... Kudos DK

OK, here come the Unboxing Photos and the Sample Shots from the EPIC's camera (reduced to 800x600 resolution) -

The High Quality White and Yellow Cardboard Box

post-18748-099777400 1288256349_thumb.jp

The Beast's First View

post-18748-042177700 1288256358_thumb.jp

The 4 layer packaging unveiled

post-18748-010861000 1288256363_thumb.jp

All the Contents opened up (Note - 2 Micro sd card readers included, High Quality 5.1 compatible Sterophonic Headset with Mic)

post-18748-047613700 1288256369_thumb.jp

The Beautiful Samsung Charger with standard USB Jack (so you can use any micro sd cable in case the original gets lost)

post-18748-023031400 1288256377_thumb.jp

The Beast in Hand (What a brute....)

post-18748-077601900 1288256384_thumb.jp

The Soft Leather Touch Back (Note the Flash with the 5MP camera)

post-18748-042895700 1288256389_thumb.jp

The Thickness & The Top (note the 3.5mm Jack and Micro SD Slot with plastic COVER to close it - good thinking Samsung)

post-18748-033624200 1288256403_thumb.jp post-18748-084159700 1288256575_thumb.jp

The Beast Exposed

post-18748-002526800 1288258229_thumb.jp post-18748-048202800 1288258237_thumb.jp

The Close up Shots including the interface, the dialler, the apps

post-18748-017000500 1288256398_thumb.jp post-18748-085803000 1288256583_thumb.jp post-18748-051823800 1288256588_thumb.jp post-18748-087590900 1288256595_thumb.jp

Avatar in full glory & Self Shot by Front Camera

post-18748-038294800 1288256602_thumb.jp post-18748-066528200 1288256607_thumb.jp

SAMPLE SHOTS BY EPIC (Note that they have been substantially reduced to 800x600 resolution)

post-18748-054252700 1288256551_thumb.jp post-18748-077954300 1288256566_thumb.jp post-18748-032811100 1288256571_thumb.jp

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 4

good one dk..

now these pix helps us to determine how it looks. otherwise all website have pix htat are highly manipulated...

:thumb: :thumb:

@dk

dont clutter your homescreen so much

use launcher pro or adw launcher gives a more smooth look

Muffi -

- I am actually a Google Man, so never cared for Yahoo, ever...

- Will definitely give ADW a try soon... just that i am quite used to that HTC clock widget with weather and location update...

i have bricked my epic can anyone help me,

better camera/picture quality... incredible or epic?

^^^

but many people use yahoo

u can use beautiful widgets

keep trying different customisations , in android you can never run low on them

i like to change the look of my epic ui everyday

atleast that one big advantage of android , the variety of customisations we have at our disposal