Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
joshm

Update Verizon Fascinate i500 to Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jellybean

If you ask me then i would recommend you to not go beyond the EH19 reliance specific build at all.

there have been way too many messups with the guyz who have official reliance i500, flashing the VZN specific stuff.

Thanks Joshm, My thoughts too....

Ive tried way too many things, had to visit the Service center twice... Will be sticking to Stock for now. Hopefully Maverick75 will come up with a solution :)

If you ask me then i would recommend you to not go beyond the EH19 reliance specific build at all.

there have been way too many messups with the guyz who have official reliance i500, flashing the VZN specific stuff.

Ive tried way too many things, had to visit the Service center twice... Will be sticking to Stock for now. Hopefully Maverick75 will come up with a solution :)

Hi Kartik,

I am sure you have not given up. You dont have to. Just follow the steps i did. It will get you to atleast GB level. I havent loaded ICS as of now as last time i tried, it worked, but without data (so its useless for me). BTW i visited the SC to get my handset back to stock. Heres what i did next

1) Updated the handset from DL14 eclair to EK10 froyo.

2) Rooted the handset using procedure from xda (droidstyle guide step 6) (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1238070) but dint replace the kernal as suggested by him for rooting froyo. Worked on our stock ek10 kernal.

3) Did a Nandroid Backup using recovery.

4) Backed up data from sd card (just in case... but dint require it though), Backed up sms, call logs using Super backup v1.1 (mobile idea studio) & Apps using App Backup Reinstall

5) Copied geewiz 2.8.1 Rom & kernal files on root of sd card

shut down phone, restart in recovery using 3 finger tech

6) Selected install from zip - chose geewiz system and after completion chose geewiz kernel Then reboot.

You will be on GB

Pls note that i did not wipe neither cache nor dalvik nor data. It still worked for me. Plus point was that i dint have to do anything else like relogin to gmail or facebook etc. Its working fine for me as of now so should work for you too as we are sailing in the same boat (read Reliance handsets).

Hope this helps.

Hi Kartik,

I am sure you have not given up. You dont have to. Just follow the steps i did. It will get you to atleast GB level. I havent loaded ICS as of now as last time i tried, it worked, but without data (so its useless for me). BTW i visited the SC to get my handset back to stock. Heres what i did next

1) Updated the handset from DL14 eclair to EK10 froyo.

2) Rooted the handset using procedure from xda (droidstyle guide step 6) (http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1238070) but dint replace the kernal as suggested by him for rooting froyo. Worked on our stock ek10 kernal.

3) Did a Nandroid Backup using recovery.

4) Backed up data from sd card (just in case... but dint require it though), Backed up sms, call logs using Super backup v1.1 (mobile idea studio) & Apps using App Backup Reinstall

5) Copied geewiz 2.8.1 Rom & kernal files on root of sd card

shut down phone, restart in recovery using 3 finger tech

6) Selected install from zip - chose geewiz system and after completion chose geewiz kernel Then reboot.

You will be on GB

Pls note that i did not wipe neither cache nor dalvik nor data. It still worked for me. Plus point was that i dint have to do anything else like relogin to gmail or facebook etc. Its working fine for me as of now so should work for you too as we are sailing in the same boat (read Reliance handsets).

Hope this helps.

Hi Maverick75,

Thanks for the info. I had tried the above steps earlier, but got stuck in the boot loop. This happened after flashing geewiz. I followed the exact steps you have mentioned. Any idea where I could be going wrong?

Warm regards, Kartik.

Why not give heimdall a shot

It works great as u it you can flash stuff individually as well.

I am busy rather very busy will outline heimdell flashing in a few days

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Kartik,

Surprised to know it dint work. When both handsets are same, it should have worked. Anyway, you said it is stuck on bootloop. Does it show samsung logo, verizon logo & then reboots? I was in the same scenario earlier but after getting it reset from service centre, and after flashing geewiz, it worked for me.

Do you have any dbdata issues?

Hi Kartik,

Surprised to know it dint work. When both handsets are same, it should have worked. Anyway, you said it is stuck on bootloop. Does it show samsung logo, verizon logo & then reboots? I was in the same scenario earlier but after getting it reset from service centre, and after flashing geewiz, it worked for me.

Do you have any dbdata issues?

Hi Maverick,

It keeps showing the verizon logo. I cant make out whether it reboots in between or not, but the animated logo of verizon keeps starting over and over.

Initially, after getting it reset (to eclair) from the service centre, there is no dbdata issue. Only when I try to flash, it comes up. When I try to wipe in recovery mode, it displays dbdata wipe failed...

Thanks again, kartik.

Dear Kartik,

I think you are not letting the phone boot after the flash, it takes 10 to 15 mins many times. How much time do you wait. Till the time complete wallpaper screen comes Verizon boot screen refreshes many times so don't get confused of that screen to boot loop.

Regards

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Dear Kartik,

I think you are not letting the phone boot after the flash, it takes 10 to 15 mins many times. How much time do you wait. Till the time complete wallpaper screen comes Verizon boot screen refreshes many times so don't get confused of that screen to boot loop.

Regards

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Hi Vishal,

I waited for a long time (at least 30 mins) as sometimes it does take that long. But it never went further.

@Maverick

The steps that I followed were as follows:

I was on EK 10. I flashed cwm recovery using odin and then three fingered the su file for rooting. Then copied geewiz files to the sd card and installed them. After this, I get the boot problem with the verizon logo. I don't know where I am going wrong.

Thanks again guys,

Kartik.

Did you try the odin files of geewiz? You can find the links on xda. See if it works. BTW, yesterday i flashed ek10 again & then flashed geewiz. It worked again for me. Dont know why its not working for u? Btw do you still have the dbdata problem? If yes , get it solved from serv centre first otherwise geewz wont work. (my personal experience)

@ Johsm :

some problem I found. want to share with you.

flash light is not behaveing normaly when first time cam is on it is not working then switch off and when again on(flash switch in setting) it is working.

and today what I found, when I click the cam botton, the phone is hang. screen is blank strange...!! the power botton also not working. then I pull the bettery out it is happen for two times.

Edited by amitroutray

the flash light problem is still there its yet to get properly fixed , you need to toggle it b/w automatic and On to get going if it stops.

the issue is still there in the later builds as well , but not that pronounced.

I am now gonna share the awesomest setup ever for AOKP -

Download this LATEST GLITCHEDUP BUILD 38 with has some great fixes

http://android.encounterpc.com/stevespear426/aokp/fascinate/aokp_fascinatemtd_build-38-Glitched-2012-06-07-15_22.zip

Download this new DEViL kernel which has a new version of recovery in it

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1120918&d=1339365830

Download latest GAPPS

http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

Also make sure that you have the ICS DATAFIX file on your SD card as well coz you ll again need that as any ICS build breaks data after the flash.

store all four in readily accessible directory in your SD card

PROCEDURE :

Best Method to update to build 38 from M5 ( which i had mentioned a few weeks back )

1.. just make a nandroid backup of your M5 by booting into recovery and using the backup and restore option

2.. once done boot the phone and backup all DATA + apps with the help of mybackup ROOT

3.. ( make sure you have stored all the three downloads i have mentioned above in the root of your SD card or any other readily accessible directory.

4.. once again REBOOT in recovery , WIPE DATA , WIPE cache partition, WIPE DALVIK

5. flash the build 38, then flash the DEVIL kernel, then flash gapps , and in the end flash the ICS data fix

boot up , give it 5 minutes and you now have the ultra smooth and ultra snappy AOKP build 38 by virtue of the newest Devil kernel , which is way better in performance than Glitch.

Please NOTE : If you dont want to take any chances then you can straightaway flash the DEVIL kernel on you M5 , try it for a few days and after that if you are happy then upgrade to build 38.

• Like 2

Thanks Joshm for a wonderfull tutorial.

One thing as you said in the NOTE if I want to only flashing the DEVIL kernel, is it require first WIPEING DATA , WIPEING cache partition, WIPEING DALVIK.

And the latest GAPPS link seems not working.

again thanX Joshm.

regards

i would like to point one more problem that is the browser sometimes opens up blank pages.

Thanks for the latest build 38 and the tutotial to upgrade. Am downloading now.

@amit the gapps link is working.

Edited by sliver1

use the new build it has fewer bugs ,

for flashing just the kernel there is no need to wipe anything at all.

this kernel has far too many options to set , but those are beyond the scope of us users , but may be i ll outline em as well once i have mastered those.

even without tweaking the options the kernel is out of the world ,

try it , you ll THANK me for sure ;)

@ ALL : whenever you feel you are having far too many Hot reboots or force closes and freezes , just backup your DATA and apps with mybackup root and follow the STANDARD procedure of flashing the ICS again , will fix most of the things.

• Like 1

again thanx Joshm. :hi2:

all the flashing done neatly and all the apps restores and work properly. :SI:

Here is the screen shot.

post-69747-0-41637400-1339496816_thumb.p

Thanks Josh flashed and restored all my data and apps successfully.

Great you ll notice utter smoothness from now on .

Have fun

From The Devilish AoKp i500

• Like 1

Here is the fact of this Thread. Joshm you are R O C K I N G

post-69747-0-22414700-1339514834_thumb.j

great moved to ics devil

feels very smooth

will reinstall selected apps later

joshm rocks keep it up

you are saving all of us a lot of time and pain in experimenting

jasmin

A music application is there Apollo. Which is not there in the previous Rom. A file manager should present. For first time access to SD card.

From my Fascinate using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

I've made tiny URL for astro file manager for such cases... I always use it bcoz many roms do not have in built file manager..

U can access it from http://tinyurl.com/hdkastro

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Thank you hitesh ji. The astro.apk file is already inside my SD card. But can't access to it. Some how I managed. Any way thanks.:rolleyes:

From my Fascinate using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

The best way would be to download it from play store, install it and we can get access to SD card

You can't access memory card unless u have any file manager. So either u can install file manager like astro from market or u can download from my tiny url link. That link will directly download the apk n once downloaded, it is available in downloads folder so u can install astro n then install all apks...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks a bunch for the kind words of support dear mates !!!

as far as filemanager is concerned , the AOKP doesnt come with any filemanager , it been like that since build one , let alone apps they dont even include GAPPS ;)

download from market - instead of astro i prefer myfiles file manager yupp like the one that comes with stock ROMs :)

for advanced purposes i like root explorer , does everything :)