Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
alam

Digital Cameras... Everything Under The Sun.

Thanks for your input. The model which I selected is of Canon S5IS, use 4 AA cell. Second choice is for Panasonic, but has all models with Li battery only. Personally I preffer AA cell. Rechargeable cell are there since long and it will be for years......

My only worry for battery was, due to our less usage. Professional photographer can use battery, but we might be using camera once in month or may be less sometime, based on occassion. So in such condition, I think Li battery will be a problem. Just wanted to reconfirm with friends like you, so that I can go ahead with Canon model only.

Nowadays also seen that most of the digital camera new models are coming with Li battery and not AA cell. Don't know why???

Hi friends,

Finally got my Canon A170IS yesterday for 12K (without B&W)...MRP is appx 20K with 2 yr warranty

Did not get enough time to explore all the features but my first impression is that it's a wonderful piece..with option of full manual controls (incl focus, shutter speeds, ISO etc)...after all, what's the fun if you just have to point and shoot without being able to control any of the parameters.

My initial review:

1. Body looks rugged with all those smooth curves and mix of steel grey colors.

2. LCD is good at 2.5"...in reviews, they say it's not as sharp, but practically it's OK.

3. Optical Image stabilization is terrific...tried with 6x zoom, with and without IS and difference is really noticeable.

4. Macro is too good...shot at distance of 1cm, with the barrel touching the subject...and results were great.

5. Power-up is almost instantaneous..it hardly takes a sec to get ready

@Shashank: what happened to your digicam?

Please let me know can A710 support optical zoom in video shooting also ?

As per the details on Canon site A710 doesn't have Face Detection technology, which A570IS has. How is the image quality in dark and in direct sun light. This is the only camera with high zoom in Powershot range.

@Jatin:

A710 doesn't allow optical zoom in video mode. But, yeah I also opted for this model only becoz of higher zoom of 6X..all other specs are same..in fact better in A570.

But having said this, let me also tell you that there is a hacked software upgrade for DIGIC II based cams like A710, which gives you very high-end SLR-like features on your powershot (e.g. shooting in RAW mode, live histogram, battery indicator in milivolts/ percent on the screen, file browser, running automated scirpts on your cam using BASIC programming, games, clock display on screen etc..)., And all this is NOT possible on A570 due to it being DIGIC III based.

Just check out this: http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Coming back, image quality is good but at night, but due to higher ISO (400 and above) noise is more noticeable. So best option is to manually keep ISO at 100 or max 200 and if reqd ( and possible) use a tripod for night shots.

But let me tell you, the optical stabilisation really works wonders...I have tried shooting free-hand at 24X zoom (i.e. 6x opt X 4x digi)...

Thanks for the input Amtrag. I was planning to get Canon Powershot A630, but after seeing the A710, I'm confused which to go for. The A630 has 8 megapixels, and 7.1 megapixels for A710, but I think the 6x optical zoom (compared to 4x) and the Image Stabilizer of A710 will be great to have. The price difference seems to be around Rs.1500

edit: just noticed A710 doesn't have a swivel display :(

Amtrag : Thanks for this input. It is really surprising that for camera also such things are available. I could not understood much how to get and install. Anyway that will be required at later stage. I feel S5IS is the most perfact at present, but only heavy to pocket. Canon may comeout something with 6X Opt. Zoom. Let's wait. :)

Arun :

Please look for the Canon S3IS also. Excellent camera with 12X optical zoom, 2" Swivel display. 4 nos. AA cell.

Optical zoom available in movie mode also.

Only drawback - 6 megapixel. No Face detection technique, but still Digic II, so you can think for Amtrag suggestions.

Little heavy weight. But still compact. My brother in law recently purchased it from Surat at 14,900/-.

Last week I enquired at Alpha Electronics, Ville Parle, and the rate for S3IS was 14,200/-

If your budget suits think for S5IS. I think no drawback. 8 megapixel, 12X Optical zoom, 2.5" Swivel display, 4 nos. AA cell. Face detection technology. But Digic III. I think something will be available for Digic III at later stage. (Just a guess).

Or we need to wait, because Canon will come out in 6X optical with Face detection. Just visit www.usa.canon.com to understand the difference between 9 point AiAF and Face detection. 630, 640, 710 has 9 point AiAF (which make focus using 9 different squares) , but TX1, S5IS, 570IS has Face detection, which makes faces more clear in either conditions. S3IS doesn't have 9 point AiAF.

Nikon has face detection, but optical zoom is just 3X. So useless. Panasonic has good range with Leica lens (excellent in it class), but all camera with Li battery, which personally I don't preffer.

Anyway whatever you purchase, please do update here with your experience.

Edited by Jatin

Well, if you are considering S5IS as an option, why not consider Pentax K100D SLR...it's street price is appx 21K (i.e. without B&W)...it's a very good SLR camera..was selling for more than 30K 1 yr ago..my brother who is in the US is using it there. After all, there's no comparison between a SLR and Compact Point & shoot.

But, I personally don't like Nikon, they are very slow and picture is not very clear..I was using Nikon L3 but did not like the results (although it had face detection and was very light & slim), hence spent another 12K for A710IS.

I would seriousy look only at cameras which use standard cells - say AA. Otherwise two or three years down to line when your battery runs out you may not be able to find a new one. With standard cells you will always be able to find the AA (or whatever) in the market. Driver compatibility does not bug me since you can just take the memory card out, and plug it into your computer. Most laptops have these adapters built-in, otherwise you can buy one for about 200 rupees.

We have been particularly fond of Canon since we find their picture quality is probably the best.

As for the MP part we are in a world of overkill. To get an excellent A4 printout you need about 3MP. Say add another MP for cropping etc. This takes you to 4MP. Thus unless you are seriously planning large poster sized prints anything above this is irrelevant. Any decent camera today has 5MP or more. I find most people with 6 or 7MP cameras running them in lower resolution modes to conserve memory. At 4MP a full resolution picture (jpg) takes just over 2MB.

What I find desirable is a minimum optical zoom of 3X. zoom ranges of 10x or 12x may again be more for marketing. These often have small maximum apertures. Also, my experience with film cameras suggests that very long zoom ranges require large 'nose extensions'. These lead to more flexure (and hence failure) of the wiring inside the lens. Zoom ranges of much over 5X only invites camera shake unless you have a very steady perch or use a tripod.

Attention Grey market buyers

I am using my 5th the Digicam now

Except olympus , nobody gives international warnty

Authorised Service centers doesn't giv service to products from Grey market

(The importer of gives the product id or product code database to all service centers

When we go for a service they'll verify the code )

most of the cams shows trouble after 1 year

so its better to go for a cam atleast 2 year warnty and from an authorised shop

Amtrag :

Thanks for f/b reg. Nikon. I think with Pentax we need to use different lens. As in its specs. no zooming details are given.

S5IS is my choice, but my pocket doen's allow me for this. My budget is @ 14k. :rofl_200:

sgiitk :

Thanks. Your input will be useful. Let me check about the camera shake issue with Canon S3IS (12x optical zoom), which my brother in law has. Do you have experienced problem with internal wirings for high zoom ?? I think manufacturer should be taking care for such thing. Because such issue should also come with 4x zoom.

Fevin-Raj:

What you should might be correct. This lead to inividuals decision. The warrantee comes with billed piece also for 1 year, and after that it will be paid service. You can it repaired camera at othre places. Why only at authorized service centre, who will charge much higher. The difference between grey and b/w set is huge. So this leads to completely individuls decision. But thanks for sharing this. It prompts that we should buy camera from the place from where few others have bought and working fine and not to any place if the price comes lower.

Thanks again for those valuable suggestions. I might go with Canon PowerShot S3 IS as well. The best price I have found on eBay is Rs.14,650 which has 1 year warranty

[ The warrantee comes with billed piece also for 1 year, and after that it will be paid service. You can it repaired camera at othre places. Why only at authorized service centre,

If u are buying a camera having 1 year warnty , then it shud get repaired in an authorized service centre ... rt?

In the case of a grey market Camera .... they will not giv free service under warnty period also

Anyone buying a grey market product ought to be aware of the fact that he/she is taking a risk in case anything goes wrong since no authorised service centre would repair it for free...1 yr Dealer Warrantee as in case of grey is not same as company warrantee.

But then you save upto 30% on the price. Some people (including me) would argue that what is the point in paying 30% extra premium so that just in case....which has very low probability. Even if something goes wrong, you would probly be paying max 30-40% of the original price as repair cost.

But, after all, it is up to an individual to decide.

Anyone buying a grey market product ought to be aware of the fact that he/she is taking a risk in case anything goes wrong since no authorised service centre would repair it for free...1 yr Dealer Warrantee as in case of grey is not same as company warrantee.

But then you save upto 30% on the price. Some people (including me) would argue that what is the point in paying 30% extra premium so that just in case....which has very low probability. Even if something goes wrong, you would probly be paying max 30-40% of the original price as repair cost.

But, after all, it is up to an individual to decide.

Good Analysis buddy ....

Just to update, please visit www.usa.canon.com

There are few more new cameras launched. A720IS, A650IS, G9, SX100IS.

I think 720IS will overcome all the drawback of 710IS. Not seen all in details, but now we can find our something which was really missing.....

I have contacted Canon to know about the availability of Optical zoom during movie mode in these cameras. They replied that these cameras has not yet launched in India ???? I like A650IS, all good features with 6X optical zoom. In SX100IS no view finder provided.

New_Camera_Comparision.pdf

I have contacted Canon to know about the availability of Optical zoom during movie mode in these cameras. They replied that these cameras has not yet launched in India ???? I like A650IS, all good features with 6X optical zoom. In SX100IS no view finder provided.

These models are not available in India...but now comes the role of grey market...you can probably get them in grey...A650IS & a720 IS are almost similar...but 650 has 10MP while 720 has only 8MP (...ONLY 8??? <_< )

Also, 650's MRP is $399 while 720 has a tag of $249 on Canon website.

And just notice, most of their newer models are coming with IS lens.

Yes, you are correct. In Grey anything will be available. My main interest is to have optical zoom during movie mode. Just to check with you, if we use digital zoom, does it reduce the picture quality ??? the way it happen while taking snap.

I got answer that A650IS doesn't support Optical zoom during movie mode. I have further asked in which models this is possible. I have seen in S3IS optical zoom is possible during movie mode, and so as could be for S5IS too.

Let's wait for the reply to come.....

At last I hav purchased Canon A710IS ... for 11250/-

Congrats for the new toy buddy!

At last I hav purchased Canon A710IS ... for 11250/-

Congrates on purchase of 710IS. From where, grey market?? Please mail me the address from where you purchased.

Just to ask why not 720IS :Sorprendido: . Some new features than 710 - Face detection, Digic III, 6X opt. zoom.

I got answer from Canon that almost in all the models, opt. zoom will not be available while taking movie file. It is only possible with S3IS.

I also read review that after taking one shot the display goes blank, during flash charging period. Is it true. It has been mentioned that for all new cameras in Canon which use 2AA battery this feature has been incorporated to save battery.

Please do let me know the image quality using digital zoom, while taking movie file.

I am still waiting for the availability and rate for 720IS and 650IS in grey market.

I hav purchased the710 frm cochin

Original shw room price is 18990/-

i hav just started with 710...

quality in digi zoom is poor

while taking movie u can apply zoom ... thats a good thing i found ....

image stblzr is very good

while taking movie u can apply zoom ... thats a good thing i found ....

Thanks for your inputs. With dig. zoom what happen with movie file quality.

Quality is reasonable @ movie

Also there is a function MF

which help u to take snaps like SLR camera

A710is rocks..............

Thanks. Just wanted to recheck with you what I read - after taking one shot the display goes blank, during flash charging period. Is it true. It has been mentioned that for all new cameras in Canon which use 2AA battery this feature has been incorporated to save battery.

Edited by Jatin

Thanks. Just wanted to recheck with you what I read - after taking one shot the display goes blank, during flash charging period. Is it true. It has been mentioned that for all new cameras in Canon which use 2AA battery this feature has been incorporated to save battery.

Yes the display goes blank..it happens only when you use the flash. The flash recharge time is much less in cameras using 4 AA cells...my old Powershot A10 (2001 model) used to charge the flash in hardly 2-3 seconds.

And my Nikon L6 used to take even longer 12-15 secs!