Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
admirer2000

Digital Set Top Box for TV - Compulsory from 31/10/12 (metros) or 31/12/14 (other cities)

As per the Digitisation bill passed by the government,

Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata & Chennai
will be fully digitised by
31 October 2012
as part of Phase 1.

Remaining towns
will be covered as part of Phases 2 & 3 due to end on
31 December 2014

TV signals are currently distributed in the country in analog as well as in digital and terrestrial formats. A digital format provides better picture quality & sound and other benefits leading to a better quality service. Most cable operators in the country are providing analog TV service while all DTH Operators are providing digital service. Digitisation means that all cable TV households would receive digital TV signals through a Set Top Box. As part of Digitisation, every cable operator will be legally bound to transmit digital signals, which can be received at the subscriber's home only through a Set Top Box, often called a STB.

It will provide a better TV viewing experience for consumers. They will enjoy better picture & sound clarity, enhanced services such HD & Video on Demand (VOD), a range of Interactive services and the freedom to choose from a bouquet of channels & pay only for those selected.

SOURCE for more details.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any of the Forum members have installed? If yes, pls share your experience like Price, picture supiriority, Options available etc. etc.

Edited by admirer2000

im having DEN CABLENETWORK SETUP BOX.....and im working in cablenetwork Control room Dept.. so if any one has any queries regarding DIGITAL SETUP BOX can leave reply here.1340119983_402332000_1-Pictures-of--Den-Digital-Set-top-box.jpg

I have few queries in this regards---

> What will happen If I don't install the STB by 1-Nov as my Cable Operator has not approached me yet for STB...

> Whether I should go with my cable operator's arrangement or I should purchase a open market Dish Connection... Which option is more reasonable...

> What is the approximate expenses for this switching...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Which is the cheapest Set top Box provider amongst Tata Sky, Reliance, Sun, Videocon Dish etc?

I am on Videocon D2H so the question of digital set top box does not arise for me ! :)

I have few queries in this regards---

What will happen If I don't install the STB by 1-Nov as my Cable Operator has not approached me yet for STB...

Since you are in Thane, I can't say. But in Mumbai, there will not be any channels without STB. It may depends on your operator or if it is under Mumbai Metropolitan area, you need STB. Contact your cable operator for exact scenario.

> Whether I should go with my cable operator's arrangement or I should purchase a open market Dish Connection... Which option is more reasonable...

Cable STB will be always cheaper, one time cost and also running cost. but then you are compromising a lot on quality. The call is yours. You can also avail Tatasky, Big CInemas, Videcon D2H, Dish TV etc.

> What is the approximate expenses for this switching...

STB may cost from Rs 800/- to 1200/- or so for SD and different for HD and for DVR.

@ Sadanand, considering you are in Thane, you may be considered to be "outside" Mumbai limits and therefore the compulsory rule set top boxes may not apply for you. This may be the reason why your cable operator has not approached you yet. However, I would still suggest speaking to your cable operator and confirming the same.

@Mickeyforu, it would better to go for a DTH operator who is able to meet your requirements rather than basing your decision on strictly the costs. Most of the operators have similar priced base packs but the costs vary depending on the package that you finally opt for. I suggest comparing the various plans offered vis-a-vis the channels offered before jumping on to the bandwagon! Operators also offer channels as ala-carte so if you want a "particular" channel, that can always be opted for.

Sun DTH is cheap but suffers from quality. Reliance Big TV, Airtel and Videocon are reasonably priced with similar quality. I think Dish TV too is reasonable in their costs. The costliest (as I have observed) is Tata Sky but their customer service is very reliable.

With HD channels being offered these days, people with HD or HD ready TVs can look at opting for HD set top boxes rather than opting for SD boxes.

One more option available is set top boxes with recording facility which again, most operators are offering.

Finally, compare and take the plunge! It is worth it!

Edited by rahulsid

We are using DishTV since the last 2 years, no serious problems as yet.

Some viewing problems due to rain affect any Digital TV services like Tatasky, BIG TV, DishTV, Airtel TV, Videocon etc

Charges are Rs 350 pm for the Super Platinum pack. Am planning for HD pack with Recorder as well, charges will go up by Rs 150 to Rs 200 per month, will take a call shortly. Not too sure whether to continue with Dish or go for other providers. Am scanning Topics here on this.

Thanks csmart & rahulsid for your kind attention to my queries.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

im having DEN CABLENETWORK SETUP BOX.....and im working in cablenetwork Control room Dept.. so if any one has any queries regarding DIGITAL SETUP BOX can leave reply here.

Can we have our own STB or the one provided by Cable TV Operator only has to be used?

Since it is already Digital, does it also require HD quality?

Is your STB is HD Quality with Recording facility?

or on what basis you have selected this STB?

How much you paid for this STB? Is it locally available or imported?

The latest edition of Right Choice magazine has a basic comparison of all major DTH operators so members can also refer to my post made earlier regarding access to Right Choice online to decide.

http://whichrightchoice.com/a-big-hit/

Regards

Rahul

Edited by rahulsid

My home in Kolkata falls under the area where CAS (STB for cable) was introduced on pilot basis about 10 years back. Based on the 10 years' experience of my parents I can say that CAS does not give any major benefit to the end users.

You are charged practically for all channels as the rates are designed in such a way that no consumer benefits by reducing the number of channels. You are charged more in the name of CAS. The STB are not interchangeable and there is no standardisation. So every time you go to a new location with a different service provider you have to buy a new STB.

There is not much improvement in signals and signals often freeze up even with STB. CAS definitely gives more benefit to the cable service operators and channel companies. The cable operators can give more individual connections on the same infrastructure. They also charge arbitrarily for STB. The channel providers earn more revenue based on the number of connections.

In CAS areas, the cable operators generally offer few free to air (FTA) channels without the need for any STB. They charge about 100 per month for the FTA channels.

So all these advertisement of consumer empowerment and what not is all a great sham.

If you have not yet taken STB and are required to take it by 1st Oct, instead of staying with cable, go for a DTH connection. At least you can carry it wherever you go. Among the various operators, in terms of price to quality Videocon D2h offers the best value for money. for about 300 a month, you get practically all the channels (in SD).

Today Arasu Cable run by Tamilnadu Govt. has announced the price as Rs.500 /STB for Cable Network Operators.

If You Stay in Thane Then Its Compulsory for u to Buy Digital Setup Box.. You Have To Contact Your Cable Operator For Digital Setup Box... if u dont install by 1 Nov.. Your PAY Channels SIGNAL Will Be Stopped. you can access only Free To Air Channels Like DD National etc...

I Would Recommend You To Buy From Cable Operator Because From Cable Operator You Can Access Local CABLE MOVIE CHANNELS and Local Live Programmes in the Setup Box.. and Where as DISHTV and Other Brands Dont Have This Feature...

Its upto you. what u want..... But Buying From Cable Operator Is More Reasonable.. Because You Can Always Postponed the Payment Which u give To The Cable Guy.. But It case Of DISH TV and Other You To Recharge on The Fixed Date Of The Month... It Would Stop Working If You Dont Recharge... Choice Is Yourssss

If You Stay in Thane Then Its Compulsory for u to Buy Digital Setup Box.. You Have To Contact Your Cable Operator For Digital Setup Box... if u dont install by 1 Nov.. Your PAY Channels SIGNAL Will Be Stopped. you can access only Free To Air Channels Like DD National etc...

That's wrong info. It's not compulsory in Thane. Only Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata & Chennai is covered for October 31st 1st phase.

In Hyderbad though there is no cumpusory immediately ,but I want to go for HD settop box for hathway cable.

Cable guy is saying Rs.6500 for the same.

I felt cost too much when compared to SD Settopox(Rs.1100) and any dish TV HD.who are charging from Rs.2000 to Rs.2800

Is Senario is same in all the cities ?.Has anyone tried HD Settop box for their cable connection ?.Pls post your feedback.

Edited by ramtech

That's wrong info. It's not compulsory in Thane. Only Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata & Chennai is covered for October 31st 1st phase.

Brother Rajan... in the First Phase digital STB is Compulsory in MUMBAI upto Mulund.. One Has To buy Digital STB from 1st nov... Thane and Rest of Area Will Be Covered in 2nd Phase Which Comes in 2014.... so Thane it will be covered after 2014.. but hence my place is 30 kms from Thane... But Still we are Given Digital STB ...

Brother Rajan... in the First Phase digital STB is Compulsory in MUMBAI upto Mulund.. One Has To buy Digital STB from 1st nov... Thane and Rest of Area Will Be Covered in 2nd Phase Which Comes in 2014.... so Thane it will be covered after 2014.. but hence my place is 30 kms from Thane... But Still we are Given Digital STB ...

That's what i said. If you have already known the right info, why spread wrong info?

I work for a leading news channel. The digitization per se is only for four metros. starting first November, none of the channels will be seen if the household doesn't switch to digital mode of reception. And to promote digitization, all the tv channels are following ibf's guideline to share a blackout on a specific time such as 8pm.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

starting first November, none of the channels will be seen if the household doesn't switch to digital mode of reception.

That may not be the correct information. In existing CAS areas, cable households get all free to air (FTA) channels even without STB. Any move to blackout all channels should be legally dealt with as Unfair Trade Practices

you are better off with a recorder [e.g, tatasky +] since its cheaper with HD

In Hyderbad though there is no cumpusory immediately ,but I want to go for HD settop box for hathway cable.

Cable guy is saying Rs.6500 for the same.

I felt cost too much when compared to SD Settopox(Rs.1100) and any dish TV HD.who are charging from Rs.2000 to Rs.2800

Is Senario is same in all the cities ?.Has anyone tried HD Settop box for their cable connection ?.Pls post your feedback.

@commonman; One reason that STB is made mandatory is the gross under reporting of subscriber numbers. It is beleived that the actual number may be at least 5x that reported. Obviously if this piracy is checked do not expect much percuniary benefit. What you should get it bettter signal quality, and maybe HD and Stereo channels.

@sgiitk One reason is revenue for government. With STB, govt can rake a lot via service tax. currently, as you mentioned, govt loosing a lot on unreported connection and entire collection goes in to cable operator pocket. WHile implementing STB, govt had ensured that there will be less ad, better picture quality and what not. But, ad are worst than before and picture quality is good only if you have STB through a DTH operator and not from cable wala.

Edited by csmart

Yes ! some time back cable guy installed SD settop box for demo for 1 week. My observation is

picture is sharper and clear without Settop box( if cable guy provides good signal quality). In my case i found better quality without settop box.

with settop box You get more channels with uniform quality but less sharpness.but most of the generally viewed 70 channels are good quality without Settop box.other channels no one views.There is absolutely no necessity for common man for settop box.

So I feel so called COMPULSARY DIGITISATION is purely for the benefit of govt at the expense of common man. :bash:

May be with HD settop box we get good picture quality.But cost of HD box is for cable is Rs.6500 upwards.common man cannot afford it.

Any observations by other tech gurus ???

Edited by ramtech

Took HD STB from cable guy as DTH is not working at our place (lack of space for installation). Cost is INR 2800.

Pros - more channels, organized channel listing (e.g. hindi movies, hindi news etc.), few HD channels.

Cons - cost of HD package would be considerably higher compared to DTH, picture quality is mediocre compared to HD DTH.