Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
manishag

Procedure To Make Magnetic Strip Cards Like Credit Card ?

Hello everyone. I need your help. for some project I have to design a card just like Credit cards. I want to know that what is the costing of designing a Credit card. Or a Card with magnetic strip on which I can store Data. what are the instruments I'll require for that and where can i buy all those stuff

Thanks in advance

Et tu??? off limits!!!! Highly illegal!!! If you are really from where you say you are ( i.e. IIT Kanpur ) then you dun need our help. What the heck is this post doing on this forum anyway?!

Mods plz lock / delete this thread. Cards just "like credit cards" are highly illegal since they can be misused for fradulent activities. I hope you guys understand my concern!

Edited by linuxguy

i guess all he needs is magnetic strip cards to store data of some kind... some hotels use such technology for Locking the ROOM doors.

its no rocket science dude. there are specialized company for this. i guess u can ask some good 5 star/ 7 star hotels & find out.

This kind of stuff must not be allowed on rimweb.

Am not saying that this member will use this procedure for illegal work but other mischieveous persons who read this, can definetely misuse the kind of information, if we post on this thread.

Moderators, please look into the matter.

Regards.

Machine cost around 50k i believe, one of myfriend was into it. they use to supply it in big MALLS for thier memberships stuffs like shoppers stops.

Well such kinda stuffs can be use illegally to clone CC info and all, but our forum is to share knowledge.

hmm ... the topic sure is not illegal....

and his query is quite valid.

The query seems to reflect to magnetic swipe cards which can hold data, something which every security concious company uses today ...

Please specify :

1. Is it a swipe card or a detector card?

2. How much data are you intending to store?

3. Does the identification have to magnetic alone ?

4. ever thought about Magnetic (video / audio) tapes and the reader heads ??? incl the circuit it would cost about 550/- :D

when in school, we had made something of the kind for out comp. lab and robotics classes :) but unfortunately we do not have the jazzy stuff around now ... :D

PS : If the thread turns out to be heading in a awkward direction that questions the decorum and feel of the forum, it might be closed.

Cheers

ashok

@manishag - try asking the company for thick paper cards with magnetic strips rather then plastic card to save cost on yr project.(that is if u need too many cards)

@ashoksoft..which school u were in... Robotics & all in school.

the onlytime i saw robots when i was in school was a show on DoorDarshan called " Giant Robot ". heheh

I did manage to get my DIY kits from USA, but didnt have not proper guidance & built very crude little things from RC cars & a KIT called "ROBOTICS".

Edited by petar

"Magnetic stripe cards" doesnt always mean credit cards... like pointed out before. In my Good'ol medical college SRMC, students used such magnetic striped cards as our library cards.

Donno what kind of Mag.S.C and its legal(or)illegal use of it the OP Manishaq's got in his mind ... Wonder why he hasnt replied for ANY of the posts...Do post what you found googling

What are you planning to use the cards for? If it's access control then RFID/Smart cards might be a better solution.

And certainly in very small volume as would be required in a "project" the costs would be fairly high for a reader/writer and a few cards.

Of course if you're planning on doing something illegal to get rich quick can I be in on it too! :D

Oh and Redshift: dude you forgot to mention what underwear you wear in your signature.

Edited by anujit

Oh and Redshift: dude you forgot to mention what underwear you wear in your signature.

Jockey Boxers. :D

LOL ! :D

well, regarding the topic... manishag, please let us know what exactly are you trying to make ? something like Ashoksoft mentioned ?

But one thing is for sure,magnetic cards are not available openly in market,atleast in India.

Thanks for all your responses. Thanks ashok for suggesting me the cheap alternative. can you suggest me from where I can get these cards. and what will be the cost of these magnetic strip cards. what will be the cost of strip encoder printer and the strip reader.

What is storage capacity of the card.

Also how secure these cards are towards the data modification and the duplicacy

As far as hotels are concerned in kanpur there is no such hi-tech 5 star or 7 start hotel to get in touch.

In IIT kanpur sometimes to start with the project one has to give brief summary in the SIDBI only then you and start with fresh projects and SIDBI finance these projects.

@manishag

But still the question is not clear. What exactly is your purpose ?

I doubt it.

Regards.

well for a start... if it is for security systems ... as anujit pointed out .. nothing beats the Rf cards (and some organizations have HD air cards - using which an employee can be tracked anywhere inside the office premises in a matter of seconds - something like a simple oneway pager )

getting back to the question...

If u intend to use Mag strips from A/V cassetes superimposed on a card then all you will need would be a normal recorder head and a encode/decode circuit.

If you are making a security system - I would discourage that .. coz it can be duplicated too easily! but well u can have a block also - if duplication happens - Provided u sit and code for a while.

You will need a database with 3 tables

in

out

temp

when the card is swiped a registry is made into "in"

and if a copy of the card is swiped the registry denies entry as it is a duplicate (since there is an entry corressponding in the "in" table).

When the person moves out of the security block, the registry is moved from "in" to "out" - the temp will hold the values if duplication is recognized.

Data storage - on an avg credit card sized card, on a HD VHS tape of similar length - raw data of about 512KB can be held.

If it is funded by SIDBI, i guess a pro-kit can be arranged.

Cheers

ashok

Ashok my purpose that I have to monitor the no of swape of the card wen users eneters in the premises and i have to grant him the permissions in the particula premises depenibg upon the authentication stored on the card. for this there are two option i store data on server but for that i have to rely on the network connectivity. second option is that I store data on the card but i can be modifed and duplicated

This doesnt fit the description of an IIT level project at all. Why would anybody at any IIT want to do a project with with crude old swipe cards? Most engineering colleges are now encouraging research / projects into RFIDs? Besides if this guy did require help then why post on RIMWeb? Why not any other forum? Why not ask any prof? I guess the profs at IIT are quite intelligent they can answer such simple queries...

Things are too out of place here.

Manishag, why not go in for RFIDs? Explain me the need for swipe cards when the whole world is moving towards RFIDs. They are pretty much secure. Easier to use. They are the bleeding edge technology so to speak. Why dont you post the exact details of what you are trying to do. Till now I can see only vague details.

IITs not only do research for the sake of it but also intend to develop low-cost solutions for practical problems. SIDBI funded incubator at IIT Kanpur is one such facility. What Manish might be looking at the is a low-cost commercial solution to be developed at his start-up. Most of the incubators want a detailed techno-commercial proposal before they fund the project, and Manish seems to be searching resources for his proposal.

He might not be interested in detailing out his complete idea for sake of preserving it with him till the time he gets funding. And how do we know that he has not approached any other source of information? There is no use in being paranoid at each and every instance. It is like this - a person asks how can he shift his phone from Reliance to TATA and we just start blaming him for cloning. A person asking for a technology doesn't always means he intends to use it for illegal purposes.

There is no use in being paranoid at each and every instance. It is like this - a person asks how can he shift his phone from Reliance to TATA and we just start blaming him for cloning. A person asking for a technology doesn't always means he intends to use it for illegal purposes.

Well Said Puneet I strongly agree with ur VIEW :(:(

yep. i agree with puneet too.!

I am searching for the low cost solution and everbody knows it that costing of the RFIDs and the hardware requirenments for this. And I want to develop it for indian market thats why i clearly mentioned it that i can't rely on the networked solution thats y asked that how can i prevent the dupicacy of the card and and how can i secure the data on the card towards the modification.

and knowledge is just to share not to hide.

Ne ways thanks ashok for your information and munna for providing me the information about the machine. I will find out that in local market but it will be nice of you people if you people can pass me the nos of some vendors from where i can get the quotations for the equipments.

@puneet, its better to be safe then sorry.

I agree with Linuxguy,we dont mean to say that Manishag will be misusing info posted here but there are or maybe many visitors to this site who would get the know how or will gain from the discussion here.Who knows one of us from the forum would be a prospective victim of such visitor/credit card hacker !

I say along with Linuxguy,its better to be safe then sorry.

Edited by prathod