Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
gtran_rocks

Gtran Rocks, Boys !

Hey bought a GTRAN few days ago and boy am I happy with it !

Well let me tell u all that I had done a lot of R&D before making this purchase.

If you want to go in for a colour handset without Camera, GTRAN 4020 is simply the best and it provides highest value for money (btw value = benifit/cost :D )

It has the best LCD display (in all Reliance CDMA sets) with rich 65000 colours. Believe me, the images downloaded from R WORLD / Computer, make the phone look like as if its a laptop !

Ringtones, still & animated images can be downloaded from your computer using the data cable provided free with the phone.

The phone comes with 2 batteries and i think it really does need 2 batteries.

As far as the charging issue goes, the new phone needs to be charged 12 hrs for the first 2 nights and thereon for 3-3.5 hours daily. It really does take a long time to get charged. The battery life is ok. If you use normally it lasts for 2 days. But if ur a R WORLD (surfing, games, images, mms) freak like me, then it lasts max for a day. So thats one negative aspect about the phone.

Well its the only phone by reliance which can be customised for ringtones and images & phonebook using a cable. You cant do the same with a LG or samsung colour handset. So full points to GTRAN for that.

Memory: It has a very decent memory capacity : 1.5 mb -> Its more than enough for loads of polyphonic ringtones, images and stuff. The phone book has 300 x 5 capacity which is ok.

Voice MEMO (Voice recorder, max 5 recordings of 2 minutes each) : gr8 feature ! i recorded some mp3s while they were playing on my sony music system and set those songs as ringtones ! MY PHONE DONT RING, IT SINGS ! :( . You can also record the voice conversations you had with others using this feature. Good one to go....

R WORLD experience is nice with icons in colour, colour surfing, etc.

Ringtone volume is high, much better than other polyphonic phones like Nokia 6610 that i had b4. This phone has a 16 chord polyphony unlike nokia 6610 (GSM) which has only 4 channels. Since the day i bought this GTRAN phone i have been downloading sexy MIDI songs from the net and using them as my ringtones.

The handsfree that comes with the set is very complicatedly built and is quite inconvenient to use. I dont prefer using it.

Camera : supports 100 k pixels only. To be avoided and not bought by any chance. If you desperately want a CAM phone go for the LG or SAMSUMG ones. Otherwise GTRAN is the best.

Cost: 12k without Cam and 14K with cam. Much much cheaper than the LG & samsung counterparts.

However, i have noticed that when i listen to ringtones in 'my menu' of the phone, at times the phone reboots. That maybe coz i have downloaded very heavy ringtones of more than 100-150 kb size. On deleting such tones, it doesnt hang while listening to ringtones. A thumbs down though one doesnt need such heavy midi files. 50-70 kb midi files are full length rich sounding songs which are good enough to be set as ringtones.

Overall its a gr8 phone except for the battery issue. I think after few months when i stop abusing my phone usage too much (i freak around with the phone all day on R WORLD web surfing, photos, tones etc - very heavy usage), the phone's battery life will be sufficiently ok.

Guys i love this phone and i would love to hear other owner comments about it. I feel a bit disappointed though with the games it has. Also games (JAVA) cant be downloaded through computer. RWORLD games are the only option.

Hope the review is useful

Bye and take care all !

gr8 review buddy ! :(

Now I feel like ditching my LG and go for a G-TRAN ! :D

lolz@pretender :(

Well I aint one, otherwise you wouldnt had seen those negatives about the fone. Yes am a cell phone phreak and Cell phones are my passion.

I used to own a nokia 6610 bfore on orange network. Recently shifted to reliance and bought this handset. Btw guys till now Reliance hasnt got any authorised service centre for GTRAN. I hope there are no reliability issues with the phone as its recently launched. The one year warranty is a solace though !

Lets see.... anyways keep the thread expanding !

:D

(GTRAN Rocks man, just downloaded Metallica's Nothing else matters midi file on my phone, it sounds awesome :help: )

YO! U definitely got my attention towards Color Phones! I guess, Gtran is the cheapest amongst other Color Phones as well?

:D got the phone....gotta agree with most of u when you say the phone absolutely rockzzzz...however the battery life really does ****...no matter, thats why the 2 batteries ...rite. Hey great review .....one q though ...could you tel me which site do u download ur midi files from.... :P

Hey Austin, would love to share those urls, here they are :

English:

1) Cool midi - Amazing English midi songs resource

2) Free-midi.org - Artist wise listings

3) Another great english midi site

Hindi

1) An excellent Hindi & English midi site

2) hindisongs.net

3) A few hindi midis here too , enjoy ...

I am sure above sites will be more than enough for you all for a long time to go :D

Happy posting !

Hey BORED thats a good idea.

After reading your post i tried charging my spare battery on desktop charger. And the light on the charger turned red and the battery is getting charged i believe !

Now that will add on a lot of battery time to my usage. Good for me :D

well, i am not a computer techie, nor i am too familiar with softwares and all. can anyone please tell me how to add animation to my GTRAN phone, what file format and where to get it??

Well BORED, am quite happy with my job of media planner in FCB ULKA (A good Advertising agency) , lol ... selling /Sales agent is bit too low profiled for me :D

As far as my concern n interest in posting for this phone goes, 2 reasons for that

1) i love the phone

2) Want to buildup an active GTRAN forum members here

As for the phone features, check it out on Reliance website for the no. of tones n stuff. Yes they are permanent. You may find some of them boring too. If you want to hear them, know their ratings and stuff then take the pains to visit a Webworld and explore the phone for yourself.

The midi files dont need any editing, and till now all the midis that i have downloaded to the phone have worked properly. You just have to select the midi and click the "Download" button in the PC SYNC s/w. There are no restrictions to file size. I have downloaded midi files of sizes like 150 kb ! 4kb - which ur talking about is peanuts.

I havent tried BITPIM and dont intend to do as well. Coz PC SYNC works well n does all the things that i need. Man you dont need to hack the phone when you can customise it through an official software suite, lol.

Tanveer this one's for you:

The animate function of pc sync is used to download animation to gtran phone.

The file format is BMP only. Select several BMP files in PC SYNC to create an animation through the s/w and then download it to your phone.

HI guys gtran really rocks and i am really satisfied with it...

anyways here's another site for dw midi files...

go into yahoo groups and search for fonotunes....

u really make gtran look very tempting!

and i didnt know that the battery of 2030 could be charged w/o the set...

thats news to me...

Hey Guys !!

its nice to know about Gtran. I am also planning to have it soon but I wants review regarding gtran with cam !!!

Mahendra

cam sux i got with cam but after a week i gave it away to a friend for the same price

Downloaded uniCDMA and tried it

It doesnt support the GTRAN handset. It only supports the following fones :

LG

SAMSUNG

HYUNDAI

QUALCOMM

Withus

SKY

I guess that answers your question BORED. Also, I have added a reply in the "Ringtones?" post by Rahuldevnath regarding the vibration and heating up issue with GTRAN. Read it, may be useful.

THanks a ton mate! i ll try it and let u know the outcome. and definitely count me in your forum. by the ways where are u wotking? Delhi?

gtran_rocks

Is it possible to add a new application to GRAN phone?

YO! U definitely got my attention towards Color Phones! I guess, Gtran is the cheapest amongst other Color Phones as well?

Don't buy GTRAN with CAM because extra Rs.2000 is worthless for 110K CAM. W/o CAM GTRAN is good. If u are wants CAM then LG and Samsung are much better option.

You'r welcome pals .. :clap:

Well as far as the application download on the phone goes, the current software "PC SYNC" doesnt allow that. It allows you to transfer ringtones, pictures, animation, phonebook and calendar.

So no games download, no application download on the phone for now. Maybe some of the techie guys will hack into the phone in future and game download will become possible.

BTW Tanveer, I stay and work in Mumbai :)

So no games download, no application download on the phone for now. Maybe some of the techie guys will hack into the phone in future and game download will become possible.

BTW  Tanveer, I stay and work in Mumbai

Static, he is frm mumbai :clap: Go check out his fone :) and get us some more insights!

Static, he is frm mumbai :) Go check out his fone :( and get us some more insights!

..and may be u will have give him GTRAN :ph34r:

It is waste upgrading ay phone since this phone should be used only for reliance. better to buy a GSM phone with cam so that it can be used for any handsets.

We can't use this phone for any other network like Tata

Thanks

Sarath

Hi Everyone

How is the signal strength inside buildings and how is the call clarity of GTRAN and are there any call drops?

I had a torrid time with Lg 2030 when at one moment there is full signal and at the next there is none!!! And when someone tries to call at the moment when there is no signal the phone comes as not reachable!! I just hope GTRAN doesnt have these probs for i am upgradin in a few days.

Regards,

Ananth

Ananth i gotta tell you, the speaker of this phone is really loud and crisp. Unlike lg 2030 which has a loud but distorted speaker, this phone has clear voice reception.

About the signal, right now am in my cubicle of a fully enclosed centrally AC office on second floor and its showing me 6 full bars of reception. The reception is more or less stable. even when it shows 1 or 2 bars, call quality is quite decent and i havent witnessed any lost calls till now.

The reason behind this is that it has a very long antenna - A small part of which is external whereas a long portion of it is behind the battery (internal - under the battery). Works gr8 !