Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arun

Reliance Communications To Launch Gsm Service By Fiscal Year (2008) End

I gave a termination request on one of my mobiles. I was called by the LTO people and I told them I was planning to go GSM as there was no good handsets in CDMA. The lady told me that GSM services will start in Chennai before Oct. end and maybe by mid Oct. itself. Then I asked her whether I can retain the same number on R-GSM. For this, she told me that the company was working on some issues and that there will be some resolutions as the company does not intend to lose their old customers. Finally, I told her to cancel my TR and that I would continue to suffer RCOM for one more month.

Lets wait and watch how things unfold.

^^^

Lets hope for the best my dear Kumaar.

Regards.

Then I asked her whether I can retain the same number on R-GSM.

Lets wait and watch how things unfold.

Good news!! Follows on.. Retain your CDMA number for R-GSM even berfore MNP officially launched..

MNP norms: Swap between CDMA, GSM & retain number

NEW DELHI: The department of telecom (DoT) has made significant changes in the mobile number portability (MNP) norms to allow customers move between GSM and CDMA services provided by the same operator.

As per the earlier norms, customers could move to a different operator and retain their number. But following the amendment, a customer will now be allowed to shift to different technology platform offered by his own operator and still retain his mobile number.

The move is set to benefit Reliance Communications (RCOM), Tata Teleservices, and state-owned players, BSNL and MTNL. RCOM and the Tatas now offer pan-India mobile services on the CDMA platform. They are now all set to launch GSM operations within the next couple of months. BSNL and MTNL, which currently offer GSM services, are rolling out full-fledged services on the CDMA platform.

ET has learnt that telecom minister A Raja had cleared this amendment on September 23. DoT has also inserted a clause mandating that revenues to the government must not be impacted, when a telco moves a customer from its CDMA to GSM network or vice-versa.

In another significant change, DoT has now said if an subscriber is shifting from GSM to CDMA or vice-versa within the same service provider, then the process need not be routed through a centralised agency.

“They can set up their own database and execute the process, bypassing the centralised operator,” said sources close to the development. But as per the MNP guidelines unveiled by Mr Raja in August, all porting must be routed only through two centralised operators who will be chosen by DoT.

The norms add these centralised operators will become mobile number portability clearing house administrators (MCHAs) and will set up the number portability database (NPDB), which will have the mobile numbers of all cellular users. All service providers will have to link their networks with MCHA and NPDB.

Industry sources said dual technology players, operators who offer services on both GSM and CDMA, would be the biggest beneficiaries.

“The DoT plans to allow this facility even before the actual MNP, including all operators, is implemented. This may help CDMA players, provided they rollout their GSM platform before MNP comes into effect. Under the actual MNP, the customer can move to any operator.

However, the dual tech operators can now give their customers the flexibility to move to another technology platform even before MNP kicks off across all operators. Thus, they get to retain their subscribers who want to move to a new technology platform,” said industry sources.

Market surveys have shown that 25-50% of the mobile users in India are unhappy with their operator, and are willing to switch to another service provider if allowed to retain their number.

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/N...how/3532666.cms

I am really very shocked, why this particular topic is getting cold (Dry-up) responses, As per my view R-GSM topic is most exciting news of the month & people are not sending their views for that. Please let me know if there any chance to convert my R-CDMA to R-GSM with immediate effect from any special pull from R employee.

^^ Conversion from R-CDMA to R-GSM will not be possible untill the GSM service is commercially launched and MNP is put in place. I guess we might have to wait till Jan/Feb 09.

I would love it if they come up with a DAPO like plan on GSM .. offering unltd SMS to any network countrywide :) will jump for it !

^^^

Yes it could be possible my dear Ashok. In the starting of Gsm phase from Reliance we can expect much more.

Regards.

^^^

On the contrary, RCOM GSM may not bring out lower tariffs at all.

And ashoksoft, I do not think they will offer DAPO like plans in GSM at all. If he does, the ARPUs will suffer drastically and ADA is a cut-throat businessman, not a philanthropist.

The tariffs are almost similar with CDMA. Onnet package from GSM to CDMA costing Rs.100 (as per www.reliancemobile.com). Handsets also classic. We can not expect much in GSM segment from Reliance. They have not learnt any lessons from the other operators. (The best tariff from the latest entrants is Shyam Rainbow. The tariffs on the website shows almost similar to CDMA.

I would love it if they come up with a DAPO like plan on GSM .. offering unltd SMS to any network countrywide :) will jump for it !

How!

Renders (Reliance) have to pay Rs 0.55 per min to BSNL for using their equipments as per TV news. and no doubt that Smart will come to us through BSNL's towers

Any how ADA will go through some loop holes of our legal rules. We are all know that how they managed to convert fixed WLL license to full mobility. :Contento::Contento: :Contento: :Contento:

Dont Expect Fireworks from Their GSM Service. It will take 6 Months to Cover all Dead Zone.

Reliance have been alloted 1800 Mhz which have Shorter Range compraed to their CDMA 800 Mhz Tower so they must have to get more Tower or 1800 Mhz Roll they might use Tower of COmpany which Operates in 1800 mhz Frequency + their own 800 Tower.

Any way Unless and untill CDMA to GSM Portability is not Clear we can not switch though. We can Take Test SIM to Check Connectivity

Here is the Check List before you Jump into Their GSM

1. Take an Test SIM to check the Range at your Preferred Points, spots, Work Location, Home. or the Place you go Frequently.
  2. Try to Check availability GPRS or EDGE and test the Speed.
  3. Read forum to get more Help for MMS, WAP etc Settings.
  4. If you are a Frequent roamer within State. Dont go for GSM as they may not have full Network to Support you. and you will get Panic.
  5. If you live in Remote Location from Core City. Dont go for GSM now.
  6. If you Roaming Between the States Ask them they if they Support Partner Network Roaming.
  7. Check for All Plans, Corporate Plan, VPN Schemes, WAP and GPRS Plans,
  8. Check that your Number could be Ported to GSM.

^^ Any way to get hands on a R-GSM SIM now? :)

hi guys any idea about commercial launch in delhi

maybe on 28.12.2008

^^ Any ideas when they would launch the same in Kerala? December 2008?

maybe On Happy B'Day (of Dhirubhai Ambani - 28 December)

^^^

May be within next 6 months my dear friend.

Regards.

^^^

May be within next 6 months my dear friend.

Regards.

maybe not that long as it will be a nationwide launch. hopefully it will be on December 28th itself :D

its great if they can launch by dec ... more price wars coming up in gsm

My dear friends, so now we can expect much more competition from December 28th onwards. Means the New Year will come with great offers from all operators for us.

Regards.

IND13 or 405-13 is Confirmed Reliance Mobile Maharashtra Circle

The RF Units above my office is Replaced today with Quad Band RF Transmitters which have 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 Spectrum Compatibility

means CDMA 850 / 1900 RF were replaced by this Quad band RF Units

so it can catch CDMA and GSM both in Single RF Units. in my Office Signal Quality is Superb above all GSM Operator Because of Beam Shaping Technology of Tenx RF Transmitters. Upgraded Core Level Fiber from STM1 - 155 Mbps to STM4 - STM1 x 4 = 621 Mbps Approx.

Remeber 621 Mbps is the Core Network Speed for whole Nashik's All Towers can easily Upgraded to STM16 - 2.5 gbps Network by Adding more Fiber cards. As Major Fibers Cores are Unused.

Will Upload RF Transmitters Photograph Soon.

Lower margins reflecting costs for GSM rollout: Reliance Communications

CNBC TV18 Interview excertps with SP Shukla, President - Wireless Business at Reliance Communications

Monday, November 03, 2008 at 13:10

SP Shukla, President - Wireless Business at Reliance Communications said that lower margins are reflecting costs for GSM rollout. He said that GSM commercial rollout is likely by the year-end. Shukla said that they have GSM spectrum for eight circles, and that they have allocated another 14. The company has got fresh GSM spectrum in North, West and South India, he added.

Shukla further said that the company is operating at 25% market share in GSM and CDMA together. He said that they will not scale back capex, and that the decline has been due to completion of the rollout.

Shukla added that bulk of capex will be completed by middle of 2009. He further said forex loans are long-term in nature; they are due starting 2011.

Here is a verbatim transcript of the exclusive interview with SP Shukla on CNBC-TV18. Also watch the accompanying video.

Q: Could you detail the slip in margins in this current quarter and do you expect this slippage to continue?

A: We have a strong margin at 38.9% in our wireless business. What one is seeing here is the cost which has already been incurred for our GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) rollout which is running very much on schedule.

The upside from GSM rollout will start kicking in as soon as we go for our commercial launches. Our commercial launches will begin towards end of this year, and will be concluded by middle of next year. So, we will be participating in the upside from GSM in three–four areas. First, today, in India 7–8 million subscribers have been added in GSM segment where there will be a national participation. Second, we will participate in the GSM ecosystem which provides a wide variety of handsets. Third, we will be able to participate in the international roaming segment––both outgoing and incoming––that is another huge revenue upside which we will be able to participate in a big way.

So, when one looks at the number of opportunities where GSM ecosystem will allow us to participate in the time to come all that revenue upside has to be factored in going forward towards end of this year. Today, what one is seeing is cost build-up which has already happened and the beauty is that in spite of all that cost build-up we are still operating at 39% upwards of margins, which is a very healthy margin.

Q: How many circles have you been allocated in spectrum for GSM in specific, and by which quarter do you see that impacting margins or beginning to impact EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization) margins?

A: We operate in eight circles for GSM but that is mostly Eastern and North-eastern parts of India. Another 14 circles have been already given to us from the spectrum point of view. These 14 circles cover the North, West and the South, and that is where there are large metros ‘A’ circles all located and this is where we will have the revenue upside as soon as we start our commercial launches towards end of this year itself.

Q: How did you capitalise for the capex that you need to undertake now. Have you tied up all the financing because capital is little difficult to come by in these market conditions?

A: Our Chairman made the point that Reliance Communications, due to its strong balance sheet, has been well-placed. All our financing arrangements are fully in place.

Q: Can you give us an update of what the current GSM performance has been for Reliance Communications in the circles where you have GSM already. Just to get a sense of how well you are doing with GSM versus competition?

A: There are five circles where we have both GSM and CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access Player) participation. One will find that they are continuously operating at 25% market share between GSM and CDMA put together which has been above industry participation anywhere in the country. Going forward as we enter that in the rest of India, that participation will make all the difference.

Q: You did indicate in that same conference call though that you expect to see a significant decline in capex. Where is it that you are scaling facilities plans––is it for the tower facilities or is it for rollouts for GSM. Where is it that you are going to be cutting costs?

A: In capex there is no scale back; capex will be completed. What we meant was the GSM rollout which is underway and which is today reflected in work in progress all that capex will get completed by middle of next year and hence after that we will be adding capex only for additional coverage wherever there maybe coverage requirement and additional capacity as we fill up our capacity installed between now and middle of next year. So it will be an incremental requirement post second half before that we are doing the GSM rollout as phase one. Thus, bulk of our capex requirement will be completed by middle of next year.

Q: Could you confirm for us how much the total debt for Reliance Communication is at this point, and which currency most of that has been raised in?

A: I will not be able to give that detail; it’s multi-currency. But we had indicated that most of the foreign exchange requirement and foreign exchange loans are of long-term nature. Bulk of it is falling due only beyond 2011.

Q: What do you sense from market in terms of feedback from the analysts fraternity. Are they worried about your earnings going forward because your stock has been punished quite a bit more than your sector peer Bharti Airtel over the last few months. Are there any concerns that you hear from your investors?

A: We do not have any such concerns. Whenever large capex are undertaken by any company there can be a short-term impact that is what most people will worry about and we are happy to say that we see no such concern. We are confident that our capex is going to give us wonderful returns in the time to come with participation in 80% of the mobile market which is GSM. Today, our growth is led by CDMA where we have done exceedingly well as the largest player in CDMA space and that is a success story we want to repeat in GSM.

GSM handsets: Reliance Communications plans Rs.3,000 crore orders

Fri, Nov 28 2008. 1:01 AM IST

LiveMint

New Delhi: Reliance Communications Ltd (RCom) is placing orders with Samsung Telecommunications India Pvt. Ltd , LG group and Motorola Inc. for GSM handsets as it prepares to launch cellular services based on the global system for mobile technology. The orders may be worth as much as Rs.3,080 crore. RCom will order between 5.25 and 7.7 million handsets, said an Rcom official who didn’t want to be identified.

The exact number will depend on the company hitting monthly sales targets, said the official. The cost will also depend on the price of the handsets, averaged around Rs.4,000 a piece. The combined value of the orders could range between Rs.2,100 crore and Rs.3,080 crore. The company plans to introduce GSM services initially in 250 big cities and expand by mid-2009 to other parts of the country, matching the coverage of its current CDMA services.

RCom has been testing its GSM operations in Delhi and Mumbai. It is expected to spend around Rs.20,000 crore to roll out its GSM network in 14 circles by the first quarter of next year. “We are in discussions with them (RCom) for the GSM phones but as yet have not signed a deal,” Anil Arora, marketing head of LG Electronics India Ltd, said.

Sunil Dutt, who heads Samsung’s mobile business in India, said it hadn’t received a bulk order yet from RCom for GSM handsets “We are in active discussion with all service providers, including Reliance. We will be happy to share details at an appropriate time,” said Lloyd Mathias, senior director and head of sales and distribution, India & South West Asia, Motorola Mobile Devices.

a few days before a RELCOMM corporate centre official told me that the gsm service will be launched around december 3 rd or 4 th week in chennai as was being predicted earlier by some of our members

Edited by ravi_patent