Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
esarel

Setting Time In Lg2030

Hi,

I have searched and searched and read the manual twice. But I simply can't find any setting from where I can set / change the time in my LG2030 handset.

Any help is appreciated

regards

u dont need to set time in reliance phones.they take it from the network itself.saveddd :help:

I find that very convenient. I dont use a watch nowadays. I look at time in my mobile

So true!! I dont wear a watch either! Infact it also saves so much trouble to figure out what could be the exact time!

But if Reliance gives the wrong time, almost a crore ppl would work on the RIM time! :help:

I find that very convenient. I dont use a watch nowadays. I look at time in my mobile

Its a plus point of Reliance.

accurate time.

No need to set time manually.

the problem is that suddenly my phone is running slower than my wrist watch and i almost missed my office bus because of that :P

Its better to think of correcting your Bus drivers watch :angry:

the problem is that suddenly my phone is running slower than my wrist watch and i almost missed my office bus because of that ;)

Yippeee ....one more reason with which we should take them to court about!!! :(

Yippeee ....one more reason with which we should take them to court about!!!  :D

;) But 1st we should be morally WARNING the chairman that we are missing our bus because of reliance. May be he'll go in for an out of court settlement. :(

I wish we were in the US or something :( ...could surely have sued them and made some bux! :)

RIM can't be a standard for Indication of time. It runs around 36secs slower than the national time (GMT+5.30) I often lose my train (Metro Rail in Kolkata) It's AST (Ambani Standard Time) and not IST.

Guys!

I'll Tell u, How does the phone know what the time is?

CDMA requires that every component of the system, including all the handsets, have a very precise knowledge of exactly what absolute time it is. This is necessary in order to synchronize the long code, one of the modulating chip-patterns used to make spread spectrum work. The long code cycles only once every six weeks (41.4 days) and if the phone's long code is out of sync, it won't work with the network.

What follows is a bit esoteric, since it gets into the guts of how CDMA works.

The system acquisition process involves three steps. In the first step it has to find the pilot. The pilot is channel 0 (whose Walsh Code is all zeros) and it broadcasts a signal of constant zeros, which is not modulated with the long code. In essence, that means that what it is transmitting is the cell's short-code at whatever phase offset the cell is using. (Phase offset of the short code is how cells are differentiated from each other, since they all use the same frequencies.)

Once the phone has found that, it can synchronize its short code. Step 2 is to find the sync channel and to process a sync channel message. The sync channel message contains many interesting things, but one of the things it contains is "At the tone, the time will be...". Actually, the "tone" is the next PNROLL(0), which is known to cognoscenti as an "80" because they happen every 80 milliseconds. (It's the next time that the PNROLL, which happens every 26.666 milliseconds, coincides with a frame, which happens ever 20 milliseconds. There are three PNROLLs for every four frames.)

The sync channel message also tells the phone what timezone the cell is in (in increments of plus or minus half hour relative to Universal Time) and the number of leap seconds there have been since "the beginning of time" (which happens to be time 0 for GPS, sometimes called the epoch. It happens to have been midnight on January 6, 1980.) Note that the cell and phone won't necessarily be in the same time zone, which is why your phone may seem to be an hour off if you're right next to a time-zone line. That happens if it synchronized with a cell on the opposite side of the line.

This idea of the time is accurate to a few microseconds. The inaccuracy comes from the speed of light delay between the cell and the phone, and the fact that the phone doesn't know how far away the cell is. (The speed of light is about 980 feet per microsecond, almost exactly 300 meters. If you're a mile from a cell, then it takes about five microseconds for the signal to reach you.)

It would actually be useless to know that delay. The purpose of knowing the time is to permit initialization of the long code generator, and the long code being received from the cell is being delayed by the same amount of time as the sync channel message was. Therefore, it's good that the sync channel message is delayed by the transmission path length.

Once the phone initializes its long code generator, it moves to step 3, which is to listen to the paging channel. After that, if it doesn't decide that it can't use that cell, it will register, and then your phone is online.

This always happens when you first power up your phone. It always happens just after you finish a call. It happens at other times, too.

Whenever the phone processes a sync-channel message, it sets its internal representation of the time of day. On most phones, that's what's being displayed on the screen.

The IS-95 specification requires that all the cells be synchronized to within a few microseconds of each other. In actuality, they do it by having a fixed GPS receiver at each cell, from which the equipment gets the time very precisely.

Most CDMA phones don't let you manually set the time of day, mostly because doing so would be pretty useless. The phone would override your time each and every time it acquired a cell, anyway.

Now, Could anyone put that in English???  :)

16308[/snapback]

I guess what he was trying to say is that changig the time on CDMA hand sets is useless cause the time is automatically synced through the sync channel message. And this time is synced according to time zones.

The phone gets what timezone the cell is in through the sync message channel in increments of plus or minus half hour relative to Universal Time ( like +5.5) for our time zone.

Hope this helps.

Now that doesn't mean they(h/s manufacturers) coudn't have provided an option to either set our own time OR use the time from their network. Possibly they considered it a bloat ..

setting time should be there like in samsung n 191 h/s we should be able to change into 12hr or 24hr format i personally prefer 24hr fprmat also called as military time but it is not possible in rd 2030

i think on nokia handset even if one changes the time it is synchronized the next moment.

and one more thing ... around 6 months back i have been to a place called "dharmashaala" in himachal pradesh.. there only reliance gsm network is present. And ofcourse my phone should be dumb then ....coz it should not even retrieve time coz its cdma on a GSM network... but it still showed signal there and retrieved the correct time but i couldnot call anywhere.. any one can explain this ? . :)

and i know this doesnt matter much here. i use RD2030

Edited by swaroop

I don't know if it gets time info from other sources or the signal strength required is too low - but many other might have noticed too that even in the abscence of any reliance towers several hundered km radius and no signal indication on phone - it sometimes still gets time info :rolleyes:

I think it can keep time by itself.

It just checks back with the tower and syncs the time in some time interval.

If the tower is not available, it keeps continuing with the current time.

If available, then it syncs. The difference may be some milliseconds and such.

Mostly used for adjusting daylight saving time and such ...

Edited by iiii_pretender_iiii

pretender what I was talking was when u switch off and back on mobile at a place too far away from a reliace tower. So there is no question of time info stored in the h/s being displayed :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification pretender...

And code, couldn't it work on the same principle that the schedules and alarms are retained inspite of the phone being restarted?

Those who have Nokia 2280 can confirm whether it keeps time by itself in the absence of any signal towers.

Just go to a place where there is no coverage and try changing the time.

If it remains as what you have set, then the phone has a way of keeping time by itself...

I understood from swaroop's post that you could change the time in n2280. Please correct me if I misunderstood him...

if the intention is to prove that the handset is getting the time information from RIM towers, do wot i did - i removed the RUIM card in my gtran and switched it on... the handset doesnt show any time at all.

i removed the RUIM card in my gtran and switched it on... the handset doesnt show any time at all.

16597[/snapback]

i think that the ruim card on the phone is how the phone gets authenticated in the case of GTRAN. So this is why no time is shown coz the phone is not authenticated as a RIM. The phone (communication part) doesnt work either without the card ? does it ? :)