Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
city02

Evdo Technology Which Gives Upto 2.4mbps Connection

I've been trying to decide whether to go for the present available Sierra Wireless Card or wait for the new ones after EvDO is launched. I guess the latter seems to be a very longer wait. It seems like the launch dates will get pushed furthur away.

Hi,

EVDO rollout in RIM network was dilemma due to introduce of WiMAX . WiMAX is very new and faster then exsiting Wireless protocol and higher coverage. For example total London city need only 4 towers for full coverage. I thought WiMAX is best choice for rural area to cut the digital divide in our nation.

Moreover our Minister of Communication and Information Technology have plan to implement WiMAX on BSNL network. I believe it will help to BSNL survive from RIM's aggressive capture in telecom and protect the monopoly on future our nation's telecom sector.

Worth for Read in below links.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/wimax.htm/printable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimax

Well it is my understanding that EvDo does not require upgrade of hardware but employing Wimax requires addition of towers, right? If that is the case then it should take longer for Wimax. I'm in kerala.

Edited by TCP/IP

dont know about that but yes evdo needs only minor upgradation with some modifications in the towers.

Not EDGE. EDGE & CDMA 1x are at par (and see how far behind EDGE implementation is). :clap::clap:

But certainly the competition is there between EVDO & wCDMA. Of course nobody knows when either will be implemented.

Yes, it is being tested already. I heard Mumbai and Chennai are the test beds.

yup.. infact i think its past that stage also.. just needs the go ahead from the government.

All high-end phone users are usually from Metros like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad et al. So, it is quite normal with the network providers to restrict high-data-rate services limited to these areas.

May I ask you all to throw some light into the services may be offered by EVDO-ready CDMA network?

EVDO is not available anywhere. Just being tested by RIM in very limited controlled areas. They cant deploy it untill the bandwidth problems are solved.

All high-end phone users are usually from Metros like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad et al. So, it is quite normal with the network providers to restrict high-data-rate services limited to these areas.

May I ask you all to throw some light into the services may be offered by EVDO-ready CDMA network?

45765[/snapback]

Live TV eg. Aajtak Live (same as that available via cable on TV) is already available on some handsets.

I used to think Live TV broadcast was definitely 3G ... but reliance seems to be trying to do it on CDMA 2000 1X itselt !!!

Maybe, after EVDO, multiple channels could be available , including live Cricket matches, just like TV.

Also, Video Conference between two people may be possible (currently one has to go to a wired landline network eg. webworlds to do videocon. It's not possible using the mobile phone itself, because of limited bandwith available on the mobile).

Advanced uses (though limited usage) could be in tele-medication (eg. doctor sitting in a city could see and direct a surgery in a remote place).

Basically, EVDO would mean more bandwidth ... one can just start thinking of means of where all to use that large bandwidth !

Yes live tv is possible on CDMA 1x. But its really a question of frame rates. While its pretty decent on the 6255 it can be significantly increased (possibly to 32 fps) on EVDO.

Reliance needs to work on EVDO….

It is very much important for Reliance infocom to implement Evdo or broadband nation wide otherwise its customers will be forced to switch to Bsnl broadband or airtel broadband.

EVDO is a technology on cdma networks by which internet speed is around 500 Kbps…can be achieved, and can go upto 2 Mbps..

Broadband has no comparison with reliance Rconnect, rconnect hardly supports speed of about 60 Kbps while broadband starts from 256Kbps….and goes to no limit…

Friends do give your suggestion on it…………..

EVDO gives 500-600 Kbps per connection on cdma networks....its great. anc can support upto 2.4 Mbps

Reliance needs to work on EVDO….

It is very much important for Reliance infocom to implement Evdo or broadband nation wide otherwise its customers will be forced to switch to Bsnl broadband or airtel broadband.

EVDO is a technology on cdma networks by which internet speed is around 500 Kbps…can be achieved, and can go upto 2 Mbps..

Broadband has no comparison with reliance Rconnect, rconnect hardly supports speed of about 60 Kbps while broadband starts from 256Kbps….and goes to no limit…

Friends do give your suggestion on it…………..

Thats true... Airtel and Bsnl are fast gaining strong hold in broadband replacing Reliance Connections.

So WAKE UP Reliance BROADBAND.............. I recently saw a huge recruitment ad for Reliance Broadband.

The competition in the Wired Broadband is growing and Airtel/BSNL/TATA are already existing in major metros. Reliance may need to come out with something phenominal to enter this market.

As far as Mobile Broadband is concerned GSM providers are handicaped due to delay in the 3G spectrum policy decision from TRAI.

Even if Reliance implements EVDO based on what I heard somewhere in the discussions that it would still force customers to buy network specific EVDo capable handsets. You will not be able to use Evdo handsets across different providers. These EVDO handsets will not cheaper for sure.

Still CDMA segment needs to grow a long way.

Future Cdma technology

This is for sure that cdma will be a prominent player in the telephone service. It can provide very good data speed upto 2.4 Mbps using Evdo technology. And since this is the only technology which is not affected by infinite no of users, it will sure be a success,

In future we may have something like this

Future_Cdma_technology.doc

Would EV-DO be of any use? I think no use, because reliance will give us 2 mbps speed, but with a catch - that is - you can only download 1 GB for Rs.500, and 2 mbps unlimited will not be available anyway because of high international bandwidth costs. Did you know that India's International bandwidth is just 10 gbps? Maybe reliance can offer IPTV using evdo but 2mbps unlimited Internet connection would be impossible according to me. What do you say?

remember here that reliance gives upto 600 kbps speed in broadnet but you can download only 300 MB!

I hope these EVDO services r cheap n can b used by common man..coz i wont pay Rs.5/min (hypothetically) for a video call.. We all know these services EVDO/3G r launched in europe but they r quite expensive outta there.. Hopefull its cheap here coz of volume n competition..

CHeers till thn!

well you will pay rs.5 for video call if it will save you hour of traveling time which may cost you anything from Rs.50 to Rs.150.

video phones does make sense !

well you will pay rs.5 for video call if it will save you hour of traveling time which may cost you anything from Rs.50 to Rs.150.

video phones does make sense !

You are very much correct..these type of services are usually targetted towards business users, who anyway don't have to pay the bills out of their own pockets! So high price is not a big issue...