Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
joshm

Update Verizon Fascinate i500 to Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jellybean

Hi,

Followed the Section 6 in this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1238070

Rooted and finally I could restore all the contacts, smses, calllog etc.

The only thing I did differently is I used a different machine instead of my laptop (which has nearly all its USB ports screwed).

Thanks a lot Josh and Amit.

Now can you help me with EVDO please?

Thanks and Regards,

Renuka Prasad.

@ Maverick : looks like you really are having a toughy with the phone and GB , ;)

anyways

just wipe data , cache and may be even dalvik , dont restore previously saved data this time do everything a fresh ,

btw can u tell which kernel are you on !! is it stock or the Geewiz

just in case also reflash the kernel

http://www.mediafire...el-04162012.zip

Yes, I am using geewiz rom and geewiz kernal (I found it in the posts by joshm ) but I had not wiped any data our cache before doing so. I will try it out.

Update:

I wiped data & cache & refalshed Geewiz 2.8 system & geewiz 2.8 kernal. Phone Booted but there was no 1x/3G signal.

So i went back to recovery and restored the cache & data from my earlier backup. Data is now working fine.

One more question to the seniors out here, which one is better, Geewiz or suprclean??

Edited by Maverick75

personally i would root for Geewiz : reason being its pretty solid when the smoothness is concerned , what i mean is it is totally optimized , the free RAM is always enough to multitaskin Super clean or resurrection within just a few hours of reboot the available Ram goes to 13 or 14% which aint a great thing at all , despite you doing normal stuff.No dount superclean and resurrection look pretty good , with all those addoons , but at the end the performance isnt good when it comes to memory usage.

@ renuka for EVDO , really it should be your seller ,

did u buy it from Rim web ?

If yes then you should tell us the name of the guy who is so lousy in giving support.

alternatively you can try contacting Hetal Patel , Parin or Amit Jain ( these are the guyz i know actually ) , If they can do anything they ll certainly do it, but above all it should be the sellers responssibility if Evdo was included in the sale terms.

Oner more thing , more like a heads up !!

I have just flashed and setup the ICS structure on my phone , will put it through rigrous tests for a couple of days , If I am satisfied then , will prepare a comprehensive guide for the GB users who wanna switch.

So far its been encouraging :)

Would again like to request the ADIM or The MOD/ MODs or whosoever is moderating this thread , to allow me to edit the first post , otherwise i might have to start a new thread regarding ICS update which is totally pointless.

• Like 1

Hi Joshm,

I got in touch with my seller (Parin). He said, he would get back to me after an R-World exec replies to his mail..

However, I would like to find out if there is a stable ROM out there which doesn't have any of the Verizon bloatware and bing and on which Play Market shows prices in Rupees.. you know like any other Android phone bought in India.. Btw, how is your ICS flashing going on?

Thanks and Regards,

Renuka Prasad.

That great Joshm. waiting for your reply.

Boy%20Thumbs%20Up.gif ALL THE BESTBoy%20Thumbs%20Up.gif

OK, i think i will stick to EH03 Geewiz 2.8 rom & kernal till something new & good comes up....

@ Renu : Geewiz is a great totally debloated , deodexed and zipaligned Rom , with a lot of performance tweaks in both the ROM and the kernel, you should use that , as far as market identification is concerned , well i have not been able to do it , i know it has to do with the location and prolly with the APNs , as all the ROms that we use are actually meant to be used in US , thats the reason market prices are always in $ ,

TBH i have never had any issue with Rs or $ :P coz i am not gonna buy anything from market ;)

But i ll talk around and will find a way , I am sure its a minor thing really .

@ amitroutray : the ICS is still being tested and i am having a fairly good experience up until now , seems like loads of things have been fixed since i last tried it , still going to test for another day before deciding .

@ Maverick : nice to see that you have settled in with Geewiz :) its a great ROM , one of the best i have ever used actually. Try and use Go Launcher Ex with it and download a couple of appealing themes , the performance will be outstanding :)

• Like 1

Hi Josh,

Reg. the Android Market / Google Play, it's not just about USD or INR, but about locally relevant apps.

For Eg:-, I am not able to find ICICI bank's mobile banking app for andorid "iMobile" on the market. You see my point?

One more quick question.

Before flashing EH03, my swype dictionary had a lot of vocabulary from Telugu, Hindi and Tamil languages. I mean "swype" had learnt to recognize the words.

When I was restoring my Data using myBackup root, I also restored "dictionary".

Lo, now the phone forgot all the vocabulary (of Hindi, Telugu and Tamil).

Is there a way I can restore it?

Thanks and Regards,

Renuka Prasad.

Reg. the Android Market / Google Play, it's not just about USD or INR, but about locally relevant apps.

For Eg:-, I am not able to find ICICI bank's mobile banking app for andorid "iMobile" on the market. You see my point?

Change country to India using Market Enabler app

• Like 1

Hi Josh,

One more quick question.

Before flashing EH03, my swype dictionary had a lot of vocabulary from Telugu, Hindi and Tamil languages. I mean "swype" had learnt to recognize the words.

When I was restoring my Data using myBackup root, I also restored "dictionary".

Lo, now the phone forgot all the vocabulary (of Hindi, Telugu and Tamil).

Is there a way I can restore it?

Thanks and Regards,

Renuka Prasad.

U should backup Swype in titanium n restore it. Swype dictionary is different from system dictionary.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

alternatively if you had backedup swype APK and data then it would have simply got restored via mybackup root.

O and thats pretty neat @ ADMIN :)

extremely simple solution i must say .

I think they ll have to redo this every time they reboot the phone.

Hi @joshm,

as I discus with sunil some problem in ICS. . .

read write speed, copying and pasting from pc to mobile was very slow. The hotspot is also buggy.

there was random reboot to recovery issue, usually when you power off though it was rare.

A strange low beep sound comes whenever signal is low.

Hope for the best, with your rom.

Regards,

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

@joshm

I was previously using Go Launcher Ex when i was on eclair & froyo. Strangely it isn't so smooth now on GB. Seems to be working slow in comparison to the stock touchwiz home screen.

Also, i'm still not very satisfied with my setup. Maybe it has something to do with the cache/data wipe. As i told earlier, i had done data & cache wipe but when i booted, it could not connect either on 1x or 3G. so i had reflashed old data & cache to get it back to normal.

Hi Hitesh, Arun and Joshm,

/*Change country to India using Market Enabler app*/

Tried that with "Market Enabler". I set it as India - Airtel. (with about 2-3 different apps). I still couldn't search and find iMobile app of ICICI bank. All the currencies are still in Dollars. Tested it with Finland though and the currency changed to Euro. I tried getting the apk file from ICICI Bank's website, but seems like the only way is to download from Android Market. Is there any other way?

/*U should backup Swype in titanium n restore it. Swype dictionary is different from system dictionary.*/

Strangely, even when I installed Titanium Backup Pro from Google Play (which I purchased last yr when I was on Eclair), it doesn't show up in apps. What can be done?

/*alternatively if you had backedup swype APK and data then it would have simply got restored via mybackup root.*/

I backed up all the data and apps on mybackup root before I flashed EH03. Can I choose only swype apk and data and restore the dictionary?

Also how do I activate incoming call waiting? (I have never used this feature till now on any phone.)

Parin promptly helped me with the NV dump file and the instructions to activate EVDO on my phone. Now before I proceed with the activation, I got a few questions.

1) Will Reliance EVDO work in Bangalore?

2) During roaming, will the data change to 1X (where EVDO is not available) or will it say "no connection available"?

3) How can I choose a data plan?

Too many questions huh. Please bear with these for a while. I will try and make a sticky note for Verizon Samsung Fascinate once I am done with these :)

Thanks and Regards,

Renuka Prasad.

:previous:

It may not change the country easily. Toggle it multiple time or maybe even after a full restart (remove battery). It will work eventually, maybe not the first time.

1) Yes

2) 1x

3) Contact Customer Care or go to Web World

• Like 1

@ - Renuka -

/*alternatively if you had backedup swype APK and data then it would have simply got restored via mybackup root.*/

I backed up all the data and apps on mybackup root before I flashed EH03. Can I choose only swype apk and data and restore the dictionary?

well whenever you make a backup with MYBACKUP root the backup APKs + DATA both.

If you have done that then thru EH03 mybackup root you can simply restore that , and yes you can pick and choose which APK you want to restore in Mybackup root.

please be informed that restoring apps and data , or just the apps does always go dwon well , i have seen a lot of thus restored apps dont function well , so if any app malfunctions you should uninstall and download and install from MARKET.

@ Maverick

@joshm

I was previously using Go Launcher Ex when i was on eclair & froyo. Strangely it isn't so smooth now on GB. Seems to be working slow in comparison to the stock touchwiz home screen.

Also, i'm still not very satisfied with my setup. Maybe it has something to do with the cache/data wipe. As i told earlier, i had done data & cache wipe but when i booted, it could not connect either on 1x or 3G. so i had reflashed old data & cache to get it back to normal.

Broken data is nothing it happens randomly atleast happened to me a lot initially , thats doesnt mean your installation is faulty,

about Go launcher well , among all the launchers that i have used , i found Go launcher the best of the lot,

i would advise a cache and dalvik wipe once , No DATA - dont touch data , as data wipe should be done when you are facing random reboots or FCs.

Edited by joshm
  • Like 2

@ amitrout :

Which version of ICS aokp you are using ? and which kernel is there with it

I know its not perfect but its certainly working good with my fascinate .

I suggest you use AOKP Glitched build and not STOCK aokp or Stock + glitch kernel combo

I have used Tethering option which works great , will see how the hotspot comes about.

many bugs have been fixed , took me a while but i have settled it now - and as always with a 512MB ram you ll need to reboot your phone atleast once or twice a day

@joshm

it is a discussion only. presently I am on EH03 GB.

@joshm

it is a discussion only. presently I am on EH03 GB.

dont worry , apart from some ocassional Lag , the ICS build is performing well ,

The greatest thing is you can use Gtalk for voice talk as well in ICS ;)

the interface is good looking , and gmail looks altogether different

also one can also use bluetooth tethering - although i am yet to try that , but its there ;) ( i think , i may be wrong but this feature wasnt there before )

the USB tethering as well as 3G mobile hotspot featutes are working perfectly as well.

• Like 1

Hi Arun and Joshm,

:previous:

It may not change the country easily. Toggle it multiple time or maybe even after a full restart (remove battery). It will work eventually, maybe not the first time.

1) Yes

2) 1x

3) Contact Customer Care or go to Web World

Tried activating EVDO on my phone with the NV dump file Parin gave me. It was a success and all the 36 NV items were written.

Result: Nothing changed. I still get 1X, and not 3G or EVDO.

(I stay in Bangalore, and I get high speeds on Reliance NetConnect Plus datacard when I use it.)

Plz help me with EVDO :doh:

Thank you in advance.

:previous: Get in touch with your handset seller (Parin?) to see what's up with it.