Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
rajanmehta

Airtel Launches 4G LTE Broadband

Airtel should not be given that 700MHz spectrum, they will not bring broadband revolution with the high cost device and tariff.

• Like 1

Bharti Mittal is interested only in making money. 2 or 3 years ago he declared a 50% dividend. Meaningfully half of the profits made by airtel were distributed as dividend. Since he holds 51% shares majority of the money went to him. If you distribute half your profits as dividend, then what will be left for improving the infrastructure? Every single operator is already cheating the customers blind with TRAI in their pocket. So we can expect the situation to remain the same.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

^

I agree with Rudradeep. AirTel will never do anything for the common people.

AirTel and Vodafone are like Pepsi and Coca Cola - two multinational giants fighting a false tariff battle. In a country like ours if there aren't aggressive players, we the small subscribers will never benefit.

Well, I differ in the opinion here.

Telcos are here for profits which have already lowered to paisa levels in voice and sms.

Tightening them more on profits in data where they have spent big on spectrum, they will reduce on costs which resultantly will land into network infra shortage, unskilled customer support and more jobs retrenchment.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Bharti Mittal is interested only in making money. 2 or 3 years ago he declared a 50% dividend. Meaningfully half of the profits made by airtel were distributed as dividend. Since he holds 51% shares majority of the money went to him. If you distribute half your profits as dividend, then what will be left for improving the infrastructure? Every single operator is already cheating the customers blind with TRAI in their pocket. So we can expect the situation to remain the same.

wellsaid!

wellsaid!

Remember,

dividends are declared on face value of the share.........

i.e. if Face value is 10, market price is 50, dividend declared is 50%

then actual dividend is rs 5.

I'm quite surprised when I read the news about this as I thought RIL would be the first one to start 4G services in India. 6GB for 999/- is quite good if you take into consideration that we are paying 750/- for 5GB for EVDO plans, Can't expect more cheaper than that

I'm quite surprised when I read the news about this as I thought RIL would be the first one to start 4G services in India. 6GB for 999/- is quite good if you take into consideration that we are paying 750/- for 5GB for EVDO plans, Can't expect more cheaper than that

but device price of 8k is highly inexorable

If you compare Airtel 4G plans w.r.t. Airtel 3G plans. these plans are no doubt good. but device cost is high, coverage is poor, no backward compatibility of the devices, and post fUP 128kbps will keep many users at bay!

Well, I differ in the opinion here.

Telcos are here for profits which have already lowered to paisa levels in voice and sms.

Tightening them more on profits in data where they have spent big on spectrum, they will reduce on costs which resultantly will land into network infra shortage, unskilled customer support and more jobs retrenchment.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Basically think this way, they got the spectrum at huge price, but few takers, means they can't earn enough to clear debts !

Ultimately 3G situation is bad for operators, as well as customers! :(

its the mtnl which is offering unlimited 3g though due to sh@te rule from TRAI the discontinued 4500/6 plan now cheapest plan cost 2500/2 month :(

but device price of 8k is highly inexorable

Oh OK I didn't know that but we used to pay around 3500/- for Evdo dongles, considering the amount of money they(airtel) put on 3g & 4g auctions & the fact they are the first to offer this service in India, the prices of devices are bound to be costlier, they should have offered CPE's on rental basis for nominal fee(I don't know they are doing or not) just as Bsnl did with their wimax services.

If you compare Airtel 4G plans w.r.t. Airtel 3G plans. these plans are no doubt good. but device cost is high, coverage is poor, no backward compatibility of the devices, and post fUP 128kbps will keep many users at bay!

I think the coverage, availability of devices from defferent vendors & devices with backward compatability all improve as the time goes, since this is new service you expect some issues with the coverage & devices availability. We are still facing these issues with 3g services in our country even a year or so after its started.

wellsaid!

Remember,

dividends are declared on face value of the share.........

i.e. if Face value is 10, market price is 50, dividend declared is 50%

then actual dividend is rs 5.

I know that but I was referring to the payout ratio of 50%

Sent from my motorola photon 4G

4G: Premature For India?

http://www.lightreading.in/document.asp?doc_id=219739&piddl_msgid=346677#msg_346677

India's biggest telecom service provider Bharti Airtel Ltd. (Mumbai: BHARTIARTL) launched 4G earlier this week. The launch might have made put India on the global 4G map far ahead than most countries, however, not many are convinced if the technology makes real business sense currently. (See India Welcomes 4G Services.)

While earlier India has been a follower on the global telecom technology landscape rather than a pioneer, this is not the case in case of 4G. We are ahead of the global telcos and are one of the earlier adopters of Long Term Evolution Time Division Duplex (LTE TDD). But isn’t it great that India has emerged as one of the pioneers of a telecom technology? Not really.

As despite the technology lead it gives us, there are a couple of issues which just cannot be ignored. A key concern area is that there is hardly any time difference between the launch of 3G and 4G services in the country. Not just subscribers even telcos might be a little confused as to what they should focus on: 2G, 3G or 4G.

Operators will have difficulty in defining the Unique Selling Proposition of 4G. Both 3G and 4G have speed as their differentiating factor. Besides, as the 3G penetration figures show, subscribers have not lapped up 3G on speed alone. This effectively means that operators need to think of some other killer proposition to sell 4G services. (See 4G To Remain A Niche: Study.)

Another lesson from 3G launch, which telcos seem to be ignoring is, that high tariff dont work in India. High tariff has been one of the key reasons for the slow uptake of 3G in the country. Bharti’s cost of dongle is about four times the cost of a normal dongle. This may prove to be a big hindrance in the adoption of 4G services in the country. The operators need to come out with cheaper devices and tariffs to drive the adoption of both 3G and 4G in India. (See Bharti's 4G: Not Yet For Mainstream Customer.)

Secondly, the ecosystem. Bharti Airtel Ltd. (Mumbai: BHARTIARTL) launched 4G services earlier this week but only on dongles and WiFi Router. It is not without a reason that they haven't bundled any handheld devices for 4G services. There are hardly any devices in the price range an average Indian might be comfortable with. Morever the prices are so high that it is likely to witness adoption in extremely niche segments. It also depends on the kind of services and content which the operators come out with. However, since 4G is as yet available only on dongles and WiFi router, it might indirectly push the uptake of 3G.

However, not everybody agrees with it. “It is good that we have launched 4G now. But the success or failure of the technology will depend on how it is positioned and how it is marketed. The prices will definitely come down once other players enter the market,” says Rahul Gupta, Senior Manager – Emerging Markets at Strategy Analytics.

In the present form, 4G doesn’t change the dynamics of mobile broadband market in the country. All eyes are now on Reliance Industries Ltd. (RIL) , which can and should change the rules of the game. (See Bharti 4G Launch: What It Means For RIL, India's Broadband Potential and LTE Subs to Hit 17M in Four Years.)

-----------------------------

how many of u think it's very premature stage in india?

does RIL really chage game?

In my opinion, Airtel is trying to earn from the sell of usb dongle. Have a look at the pricing of Verizon dongle (although with contract). On ebay it is available for 40-60 USD.

http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#!/devices/mobilebroadband/5632

They should subsidize the dongle rather than charging premium on it. In US smartphones are popular owing to contractual pricing. In India, all the premium smartphone are available in the range of 700-900 USD. If it was the case in US, there wont be so many takers there too. If any operator that has to bring the high end mobile computing for masses, they have to workout the cost of device.

Govt policies are also not favourable. Why do we have so many operators? The low prices (driven by competition) are good to an extent but it dents the future development. Development comes at a cost.

Airtel 4G LTE services launched today in Bangalore.

New Tariff plan of 30GB is introduced as well as Smartbyte package for excess usage beyond data transfer limit.

SmartByte Package For Excess Usage are Rs 600 for 2GB, Rs 875 for 5GB and Rs 1,500 for 10GB.

swfq1k.png

Saw this funny comment somewhere about fup in airtel 4g.

Airtel's caption is "don't just browse...fly". It's true that you fly for 2 kilometres and then crash down and crawl with your broken leg .. Lolz..

^^^^^

Ya, It was posted by me on TT...

• Like 1

@ 128kbps its not a Broadband even. atleast it should have been 256 so that I would call it a Broadband.

Too expensive as of now, hopefully, this should bring down 3g cost and plans.

Bharti And Qualcomm Announce Partnership For 4G LTE

Source

Bharti acquires 49% interest in Qualcomm AP's India BWA entities - Partnership to roll-out state-of-the-art 4G networks on LTE TDD technology in Delhi, Mumbai, Haryana and Kerala

NEW DELHI and SAN DIEGO, May 24, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Bharti Airtel Limited ("Bharti"), a leading global telecommunications company with operations in 20 countries across Asia and Africa, and Qualcomm Incorporated, the world leader in 3G and next-generation mobile technologies, today announced that they have signed an agreement for Bharti to acquire an interest in Qualcomm Asia Pacific's (Qualcomm AP) Indian BWA entities.

Under the agreement, Bharti has made an initial investment of approximately USD 165 million to acquire 49 percent interest in Qualcomm AP's India entities that hold BWA licenses in Delhi, Mumbai, Haryana and Kerala - partly by way of acquisition of 26 percent equity interest equally held by Global Holding Corporation Private Limited and Tulip Telecom Limited, and the balance by way of subscription of fresh equity in those entities. The agreement contemplates that once commercial operations are launched, subject to certain terms and conditions, Bharti would assume complete ownership and financial responsibility for the BWA entities by the end of 2014.

Bharti already has BWA licenses in four circles - Kolkata, Karnataka, Punjab and Maharashtra - and 3G licenses in thirteen circles in India. With this agreement, Bharti has secured a nation-wide broadband leadership through a combination of 4G and 3G, with its own networks in 18 circles. Bharti has already taken the lead in LTE TDD space by launching 4G services in Kolkata and Karnataka Circles.

Commenting on the partnership Mr. Sunil Bharti Mittal, Chairman and Managing Director, Bharti Airtel said, "We are delighted to partner with Qualcomm, who shares our commitment to the Government's agenda of broadband for all. This partnership will combine the strength of Bharti's national telecom footprint and Qualcomm's technological leadership in the LTE TDD space. With a broadband ready network across India, Bharti is well positioned to lead the next phase of Indian's telecom revolution."

"One of our key objectives has been to include a strong partner in the Indian venture with the scale, experience and resources to deploy LTE TDD networks. We are pleased to have Bharti's participation and support in this effort," said Dr Paul E Jacobs, chairman and CEO of Qualcomm. "GHC and Tulip have been great partners in facilitating this transaction. Qualcomm remains dedicated to the continued progress and success of the BWA venture and to fulfilling our commitment as a key equity stakeholder."

Qualcomm expects to provide technical assistance to Bharti in connection with network architecture and optimization, infrastructure and device testing, as well as continuing to develop and support the underlying technology and the LTE TDD ecosystem.

Commenting on the partnership Mr. Sunil Bharti Mittal, Chairman and Managing Director, Bharti Airtel said, "We are delighted to partner with Qualcomm, who shares our commitment to the Government's agenda of broadband for all.

I think the "BROADBAND FOR ALL" just refers to ALL scammers like A.Raja, S.Kalmadi, P.C., who only will be finding AirHELL's 4G tariffs and device cost as very very cheap....

• Like 1

Frankly due to Raja's give away of licenses Airtel & other incumbents got ****ed up as new players Tata Docomo, Uninor, MTS brought next level of tariff war.

Rajanji, any idea when we can expect Reliance to launch 4G services??

Which handsets can be used for Airtel 4G in Bangalore ?