Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
abhay

Reliance Communication To Enter Gsm Services

Whatever guys. here is the best news.

U can get as many RIM RUIMs u want now @ mere 50/- bucks ,

Want some??

Call me.

Great news!

But on which handsets could we use these ruims?

Will these work even on imported handsets...i mean grey mkt ones?

Please explain more on R-UIM. Does it mean that if today we have RUIM enabled handset in CDMA and the same can be used with GSM tomorrow using RUIM. Than what abt SIM of GSM? Does it mean we can use GSM handset in CDMA with RUIM? Which present Reliance phone supports RUIM options??

No way, RUIM can not enable a GSM handset to run on CDMA.

RUIM would just enable the freedom to switch CDMA handsets at your convenience...Any RUIM enabled handset can be used then, similar to GSM.

Thanks a lot for clearing doubt on RUIM. :(

Now from all this discussions, I got answer for my initial question that in future RM will not be in a position to support existing CDMA customers to enter in GSM with same 93 series.

No way, RUIM can not enable a GSM handset to run on CDMA.

RUIM would just enable the freedom to switch CDMA handsets at your convenience...Any RUIM enabled handset can be used then, similar to GSM.

Of course dear, a RUIM won't convert a GSM handset to CDMA...

but RUIM lets a user carry the same identity from cdma network to gsm network i.e. phone number would remain same.

Qualcomm may start fresh talks with Reliance

Under pressure from investors and major revenue contributors, chip maker Qualcomm may commence fresh round of talks with CDMA operators, including Reliance Communications in India, in the face of the company's market cap declining steeply.

The San Diego-based technology major, facing ire of third world CDMA operators for higher royalty charges, hinted that the negotiations with CDMA majors in the third world countries are likely to start soon.

"I think that's going to continue on and there's a lot of negotiating back and forth that's currently happening", Qualcomm CEO Paul Jacobs told analysts after announcement of the company's financial results last week.

Qualcomm, the developer of CDMA technology, has lost to the tune of Rs 1,21,500 crore (USD 27 billion) in market capitalisation during the last ten weeks.

This move comes weeks after his unfruitful visit to India in June-end where he refused any kind of negotiations on the royalties and chipset costs issue.

Paul Jacobs had an eight hour-long discussion with Reliance Communication chief Anil Ambani, whose company is planning to focus on GSM servies. But the negotiations failed over the issue of royalty price cut.

As Qualcomm refused to discuss the royalty issue, Reliance Communications, along with Brazilian CDMA player Vivo, have expressed plans to migrate to GSM technology for future growth.

Adding to the woes of Qualcomm, world's largest handset maker Nokia shelved its CDMA handset manufacturing plans by taking a one time hit of Rs 750 crore.

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1043276

Reliance Communications to enhance focus on GSM: Anil Ambani

Anil Ambani says that there will be an enhanced focus on GSM, even as the company seeks to remain technology neutral. CNBC-TV18 reports the details of the analyst conference call.

Anil Ambani has finally broken his silence on Reliance Communications' GSM rollout plans. In an analyst conference call after the company's impressive Q1 numbers, Ambani said that there would be a sharper focus on GSM. Reliance Communications will enhance capacities in its seven GSM circles.

He said that the company was confident that it would get a spectrum clearance for a fresh rollout in circles where it offers only CDMA. The management says that this confidence emanates from the ongoing talks with the Department of Telecom. RCL also will not go in for a "dual-tariff scheme".

That's because Ambani says tariffs will not be a function of technology. The existing retail outlets will be used to sell GSM offerings. But Ambani reiterated that the company would seek to stay technology neutral and continue to grow and invest in GSM and CDMA.

And what about Qualcomm? Many analysts felt that Ambani's GSM call was only meant to create more negotiating space with Qualcomm on royalties. That doesn't seem to be the case. This is despite the fact that Ambani was emphatic in his criticism of Qualcomm.

He told analysts that the CDMA ecosystem continued to remainsend this article to a friend challenging and Qualcomm's rigid stance on royalty was not helping CDMA operators like RCL to bring affordability to Indian customers.

http://www.domain-b.com/companies/companie...munications.htm

guys if this is what anil want then why shd we waste money on such high end handsets like nokia 6265, .........it would be better if they clear the situation themselves only!

This is bound to reduce investment in CDMA infrastructure. And we RIM has a lot to do - highway coverage, hill station coverage, 3G, better handsets, etc, etc!!! Seems like all this is not going to happen in a hurry now! One more reason for customers not to invest in expensive CDMA handsets ...at least for now ...and more incentive to shift to GSM!

The period between now and the actual roll-out is going to be the most uncertain period.....reminds me of the same anxiety we all felt when the switch over to the 93 series was announced and later executed.

If it happens it will be known as Suicidal Period.Now you know why

his father had done this all ? It will be better if Anil keeps mouth shut and

let executives do their jobs

Their whole strategy revolves around dual handsets.. Thats where its all abt.. they ll give free sim cards and give roming n all on tht.. to existing CDMA customer and place their GSM tower wher they dont hav CDMA network..So, in shrt they ll try to cover 100% india..

Cheers!!

P.S: Jus a guess :)

I dont think it will be easy.. reliance planning GSm only in delhi n mumbai as of now.. so wht abt rest of the country :):quest: what will happend if we go out of these cities :quest::quest::) if it happens that wht abt some1 purchase exppensive handsets like 6265 etc.. and even if they decide then it will take atleast 2 years to do that.. they are still awaiting for approval from DoT and i dont think other cell cos will allow them do that....

i think anil was trying to "twist" qualcomm arm so tht he can get better deals on handset..

but if reliance moves to gsm then we will be at par with others for handset but cost of communication shud not increase....

Following is just my opinion, may be wrong:

1. Gradually Reliance will migrate to GSM. If they get approval then may be faster, resons, GSM has wider veriety of handsets, better roaming coverage globally, service providers are free from responsibility of handsets. This is the reason why GSM can attract high end users.

2. CDMA handsets will never be as cheap as GSM because of royalty issues. . Because qualcomm will never like to forgo their money. If WCDMA is implemented, they are going to get royalties too. Qualcomm will never prefer excessive usage of RUIM as locked handsets means more revenue for them that too frequently. Look at the Qualcomm website, they make better (High ended) GSM chips than CDMA chips. Still GSM handsets using Qualcomm chip are cheaper than inferior spec CDMA handsets.

3. With emergence of Wi Fi and Wi Max, may be in next few years cellular companies will be again only voice companies, hence 3G or 4G will gradually will become irrelevent and expensive.

4. Look at the trends in US, inventor of CDMA. In last few years GSM has became far far bigger than any other technology because of openended standards and technology.

5. CDMA, TDMA (American version), iden are too close ended and closely held technologies.

Hence eventually GSM will be the leading and perheps only technology of future.

Edited by kshah

If only 4 gsm players r allowed as it is a scenario till now then how come reliance will get license in d two metros.

1) reliance is already milking mumbai with CDMA reliance, its will just be comming up with a new face with GSM

2) amit u should not forget BPL mumbai !! if everything goes right !! it could be on sale again in comming months :D

IDEA + RELIANCE GSM both have eyes on it :P

Edited by abhay

Both hmmm i think reliance will apply more political pressure & finalise d issue :D ..as it was case with Wll roaming permission because from there Unified licensing system applied, :P if i am not wrong & remember properly.

And the merger of BPL Mumbai with Hutch is in doldrums. Essar which actually owns BPL Mumbai has already given a termination notice to Hutch for the Share-Purchase agreement. They are now fighting it out in the court and the matter would most probably be given for arbitration. So we cannot be sure if Hutch will own BPL Mumbai or not.

1) hey Puneet do u know why was a war going on between them on their ownership of the company (who holds how many shares in hutchison-essar) i really dint get that point !!

don't u think that would be documented some where!! then y a disagreement

2) they are trying to settle it out of the court as of now !! lets c what happens !! but i really want BPL to be merged with hutch as originally planned!! that would boost hutch position drastically

The war is not on who owns what in Hutchison-Essar. The current stand-off is regarding the merger of BPL Mobile with Hutch. As of date, Essar (without Hutch) owns 100% of BPL Mobile - through various holdings. As per the original SPA the transfer should have been completed by July 31, 2006. However, the DOT clearance didn't come by the said date, and Essar used it as an excuse to terminate the SPA. While Hutch is ready to waive off the conditions to get BPL Mobile. Essar is using it as a leverage, to get a greater say in Hutchison-Essar.

There is another hiccup in the merger though - spectrum. As of date Hutch and BPL hold 10MHz of spectrum each, but if they are merged the combined entity would be entitled to just 15 MHz (which is the maximum limit as per the Indian laws). And in case that happens, I do not know what will happen to the already deteriorating network conditions of Hutch in Mumbai.

You could read more about the stand-off in the recent issues of Economic Times.

yup thats there!! but as far as i remember i read about the ownership issues between them relating to the combined entity :D ill try to find out that article if i can again :P

I guess you are referring to sale of stake (~20%) to Orascom by Hutchison Whampoa, which translates to ~9% holding in Hutchison-Essar, and a seat on the board of HE. This too didn't go down well with Essar and they had complained to DoT.