• 4. AVG
    • 5. Kaspersky
    • 6. NOD32
    • 7. Panda
    • 8. ZA Security suite
    • 9. PC-Cillin suite
    • 10. Others....
    • 11. I don't need any Anti-virus s/w

Sure and then tear my head out configuring my devices. Dont get any software/games or support for it blah blah blah!

Linux is for S&M people who like hurting themselves.

Sorry dude. Tried it. Didn't like it. Prefer productivity and getting things done and playing games and just plugging in any device to get it to work! And Windows does its simply and beautifully. It might have viruses and all that. But I manage to keep myself safe by being smart and informed. And thats a way better option than going to Linux (for now at least)!

ive been using zonealarm as a firewall for years and started using its AV feature sometime back since Notron was hogging the system. Anyways, for people look at ZASS as an option,

1. Apart from regular antivirus aaand spyware definition updates, it also updates the whole suite quite frequently. So be prepared to download a the whole suite roughly once a month. Its around 25mb and could be a hassle for dialup users.

2. The firewall is highly customizable and the client often asks the user to choose whether one wants a particular app to run. So, one should have some rough idea about what programs to allow and what to deny. You can leave it upto zonealarm to decide but it doesnt always have the answer.

3. It does cause minor hassles while surfing, like doesnt allow you to logout of hotmail amongst many. So, you should know how to configure its settings.

4. Although earlier i thought it was pretty light on the system, i have a feeling that it is the program which has slowed down my system. So, ill borrow some ram and see if low ram is actually the issue. If not then ill uninstall the suite and install the 30day pc-cillin 2006 evaluation.

My vote is to AVG,

I have been addict to it since 4 yrs and the beautiful feature is it installs even though the system is infected and cleans effectively. I have a network of 8 PCS in my Office and it effectively maintains the integrity of my network. Believe i dont even have to format my HDD except for change of OS. As also i believe to rectify problems rather than bypassing and am a virus cracker too.. :ph34r:

AVG is good. But I prefer a suite that gives me everything together. Granted that 1 anti-spyware tool isnt good enough but still.

I'd like a anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-spyware and firewall tool in one application. And trust me you need it too!

And AVG doesnt give me that. It does have a so so firewall guard that I tested when it was in beta. But that was it.

Sure and then tear my head out configuring my devices. Dont get any software/games or support for it blah blah blah!

Linux is for S&M people who like hurting themselves.

Sorry dude. Tried it. Didn't like it. Prefer productivity and getting things done and playing games and just plugging in any device to get it to work! And Windows does its simply and beautifully. It might have viruses and all that. But I manage to keep myself safe by being smart and informed. And thats a way better option than going to Linux (for now at least)!

48089[/snapback]

Ok, so you had a bad experience with Linux. But thats because you didn't give it enough time. Your hardware wasn't supported. If just these people open up the driver specs then Linux will flourish. Linux has the ability of hot plugging, it's almost immune to viruses, it is VERY stable, it can be updated without constantly rebooting AND any software can be installed / configured / reconfigured without a reboot. If your hardware is fully supported by Linux, like mine, then you will find Linux is very superior to Windows.

And talking about games, well, the games that have been released for Linux have a much better performance on Linux machines. Thats because of better memory management. Better shell. It's ability to "drop" to a minimal mode where everything EXCEPT your game is run. Besides OpenGL is much more superior to DirectX.

I know exactly how you feel. Back in the days of Redhat 9 I too was tearing out my hair trying to get sound and stuff working. But now, I am still on the same system but upgraded myself to Fedora Core 2 and I haven't had a SINGLE device not working with Linux. It's my desktop and server. Have been more productive than when I was with Windows. Believe me, I was tearing out MY HAIR every time Windows gave me the BSOD! :unsure:

I tried to install Fedora core on my old PC. Damn thing wouldnt install even! :unsure:

I had successfully installed Red Hat 6,7 & 9 (all PC Quest distributions) on it before. But in each case they didnt work well with the display (SiS card I think it was) or my modem (Zoom).

And dude only a fraction of the games/apps on Windows have been ported to Linux. Those might manage memory better but, like Mac stuff they're much much much harder to get around here.

And (all of it is) impossible to get support for!

I'm sticking to Windows. I like M$' knowledge base when I get stuck or have trouble. I like the fact that to install a program I just have to click on Install/Setup. Not unTar it then run arcane commands on it. :( I'll just have to live with the virus & hackers. As I said before isnt worth the trade off as yet!

Right. GNU/Linux isnt ready for the desktop yet. But for enthusiasts like me, its a great OS. No problem in installing stuff using apt, RPM, or emerge! It's a lot easier than windows ;

As for the problems you faced, all of them are because of the ****y manufacturers not providing drivers. As of today, we (the Linux community) haven't reached a critical mass. The moment we do, they will have to release drivers for Linux :unsure: . Take for example Nvidia and Samsung. Both of them are releasing Linux drivers for their products. If the hardware is supported then Linux is much more user friend than Windows :(

i have nav 2006

but i like pc-cillin 2005 i think it is 1of the best antivirus available.

but it has only1 problem it does not support win server 2003

Nav has a good AV. Its strong stable and easy to use and very regularly updated. Its firewall is pretty decent too.

However, it is a resource hog, makes it makes all programs run ssssoooooooo sslllllllllllllooooooowwwwwwwwww!

xperts comment....

AFAIK Zonealarm is just a firewall program. It doesn't have any inbuilt virus scanner. Hence i would suggest you to go for some free AV like AVGFree.

Yeah ZoneAlarm Firewall doesnt have any antivirus!

I think you're talking about the ZoneAlarm Internet Suite. This has the firewall, anti-virus, spam filter and spyware tool built in.

Its the best internet security suite there is today. Been rated as the best consistently for the last 2-3 years by PCMag, CNet & co. I have been using it for quite a while now, its got the best performance by far and one of the lowest memory hogs.

its zone alarm pro V5. now advice me.

i am also using zonealarm internet suite from sometime.

this is the best one in the market.

i have also experience of mcafee and norton's suite.....but this one is the best.

I am using Zonealarm Security suite for the last 6 months.Overall it is good as a security suite compared to other vendors like trend etc.

Your question was whether the antivirus is good enough?.Actually Zone Alarm Security suite uses Computer Associate's Antivirus .Zone alarm does not develop its own antivirus.Just for info,CA antivirus is not popular and it is being given free for 1 year to home users by CA.

My comp was infected by a vrus by the name alcan,now that was long back when the virus was not so wide spread.CA antivirus was not able to detect it,I detected the virus using Trend online antivirus scanner.I checked norton also,they had definitions for the virus,but not CA.ofcourse CA updated their definitions with alcan after 2 months!!

I still use Zone larm Secutity suite cause i think it is good overall compared to other suites,but dont trust the antivirus.

If you dont have memory shortage(i mean you have atleat 512MB of RAM),go for ZA firewall,AdWatch and norton antivirus.all of them are best in their respective fields.

i use avast 4.7 home with latest updates (updates are very small)

www.avast.com

The BEST Security suite (also FREE): :D

AVG / avast! antivirus

Zone Alarm firewall

Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE

Spybot Search & Destroy

Presentely using McAfee antivirus and firewall also.

Previously used McAfee antivirus and zone alarm firewall.

If u keep antivirus, firewall and operating systems updated, IT's Rock!

Honestly..If u use internet sensibly, Windows firewall and just any antivirus program is good enough. If its anti-virus alone, I would vouch for kaspersky as it has the highest (and consistent) infection detection rate. Norton comes no where close to kaspersky.

Cheers!

Edited by basant_jp

NOD32 is best..! Advanced huerstics.

1st to introduce a version for 64 bit procesors.

1st anti virus to pass 35 consecutive virus bulletin tests.

Fastest scanning in terms of time taken.

Pro-active Threat sense program.

Remember the eicar test file? here's one more mock-trojan to test ur antivirus... check it out

Its Trojan Simulator by Mischel Internet Security (www.misec.net) and that will help you to determine if your AntiVirus is Really Working Prefectly or not

Download From ->

http://www.misec.net:80/products/TrojanSimulator.zip

do post the results here