• 4. AVG
    • 5. Kaspersky
    • 6. NOD32
    • 7. Panda
    • 8. ZA Security suite
    • 9. PC-Cillin suite
    • 10. Others....
    • 11. I don't need any Anti-virus s/w

Which AV downloads/Updates only the new defination insted of downloading same 3-4 MB while doing auto updates?

Actually i want to buy some other AV since my subscribtion to Trend macro will be over this month

If update size/time is a factor, consider Dr. Web! It has possibly he smallest updates ...and very fast too. Also it takes up unbelievably less RAM in comparision to the marketing heavyweights like Norton & McAfee. It has a DOS scanner too. It even works on my old 200 MHz 32 MB RAM machine! :lol: F-Prot scores in these areas too; but it has no incremental updates ...which is a pain.

AVG! Anyday dudes ... (except for the fact that it does not HEAL a few viruses like jeefo/hidrag (Win32.Hidrag-A / Jeefo-A) which Kaspersky does....

i uninstalled my nav 2003 on thursday and activated the antivirus and antispyware on my zonealarm security suite.

I have been using norton since the begining and did use avg for a while. Norton definitely was better at detection. Im giving ZASS a try at the moment. If its not that good, then ill move to nav 2005.

Edited by vb86

Quick heal 2005 with network Scanner is a very good & Also most important Made in india tag :confuse:

NAV is Always best. But only main problem was NAV is resource hog. The system must have 256 memory for smooth running with NAV. So it was my first choice.

Also AVG free is best for trojans and virus. But AVG not able to protect from Soraci.B virus. The virus is next version of HTML.Redlof virus and make change settings in windows registry. So you can't change files attribute in hidden and unhidden. You also lost the Folder Options on Windows Explorer at Tools menu. This is sign of virus infection.

Cleaning afftected html files in Soraci.B virus is very easy. Just open the infected html files in notepad and go to the bottom of file then remove all jungie letters in the html file after the html code end. This is virus script. Then simply again save the file. Thats all.

I'm using Zone Labs Internet Suite 6 now. Its got a cool AV & Firewall. Its great. :confuse:

Oh and its got a good spam filter too that works with Outlook!

Edited by anujit

I'm using Zone Labs Internet Suite 6 now. Its got a cool AV & Firewall. Its great. :confuse:

45031[/snapback]

nice to see some1 else also using it.. im pretty satisfied with it.

Well yes.. Norton Consumes lot of memory.. especially 2004/2005..

I suggest use any old corporate version... and keep the definations updated...

double the security with some small/tiny firewall

its a guaranteed solution to remain virus free

its been eight years now... without any viruses.. on my comp..

I dont use Anti-virus softwares :lol:

Why?

cuz I dont need em :lol:

I use GNU/Linux :angry:

Edit: why isn't there an option called "none" ??

Edited by linuxguy

I dont use Anti-virus softwares :P

Why?

cuz I dont need em :D

I use GNU/Linux :confuse:

Edit: why isn't there an option called "none" ??

45188[/snapback]

hmm ask me on windows box with sify network man i need all the anti virus's :grin:

I've been a loyal admirer of Grisoft and AVG7 is still my first choice. But, recently, the updates AVG get from the Grisoft have significantly increased the booting time for my PC. It also makes my start-up sound for Windows98SE to sound cracked due to excessive memory/cpu usage during loading :D Can anyone give me any idea, how to get rid of this without trimming my Start-Up music down? I'm open to any other A/V if it is trusted and tested by time! Please remember that I've a slow machine (Cel633 with 192MB on 810E).

Dude, try Dr. Web ...AVs don't come any smaller than that! See my earlier post in this thread...

@racoon: I'm not fond of smallest installers, rather small updates are in vogue. Apart from that I want an a/v which is free and robust and doesn't increase my boot up time much.

Who said anything about smallest installers??? Its SMALL in everyway man ...EVERY!!! Read my lips...!

But no, sadly, its not free.

No, not even for a single home user ...tho you can get a trial version which you can use for 20 days or so. And you are eligible for a fresh license every 4 months ...to try again.

The only other AV which could come farily close to its ultra-small RAM footpring is probably F-prot. But F-prot's updates are quite large (probably cus they are not incremental) ...and no POP3 email scanning module. Also F-prot's detection rate is probably not as good as Dr. webs.

Edited by raccoon

Guys I think you should try Zone Alarm. Its small (well the 23 MB download apart) its fairly light and doesnt detoriate performance too much for running normal applications. It does make Outlook startup time slower. But it doesnt increase the mail download time at all - something that Symantec did significantly. And it is a complete internet security suite. So you get your antivirus, anti-spam, anti-spyware and firewall in one cool package.

I'd recommend the AVG AV & Firewall combo too. But I couldnt find the crack when it had just launched! ;)

And can ZoneAlarm make good AV software? Ask PCMag - they have been voted Editors choice for 2005 and again for 2006 range of internet security products!!! http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1891760,00.asp

Thanks for the info mate... but unlike AVG, where with a few reg saves, and a backup, you can avoid the hassle of re-downloading the updates in case u reinstall the OS ... how about things in the case of Zone Alarm ?

do we have some choice on that ?

will download and try that after 5th dec... coz as of now my connection speed sux

cheers

Ashok

Really dont know. Because I dont reinstall my OS every other day! I dont think you can do a backup like that with ZoneAlarm.

But its not a feature for me or most normal people at any rate. More so, if you have a decent connection.

Edited by anujit