Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
s207

Buy Corby Only If You Want To Remain In Cdma

Dear Friends,

We all are aware that availability of new handsets at reasonable cost is big issue with CDMA. Please compare cost of GSM Corby with CDMA Corby there is price difference. Compared to GSM touch screen handset range, Corby speed CDMA looks primitive.

My suggestion is that: users who want full-featured handsets at reasonable costs should wait for Mobile Number Portability (MNP). Then we can migrate to any good GSM service provider.

I wanted to upgrade from my Nokia6275 to Corby speed, but after seeing the handset features etc, put my purchase on hold and waiting for MNP.

Regards

MNP is the future no doubt... but how deep into it (cause it getting delayed is not predictable) only time and the babus will tell...

Enjoy your present, and only dream of the future... My signature was created the first time MNP was announced, almost 9 months ago... :)

CDMA is far superior technology...

U will never get comparable data speed or voice clarity on GSM network....

so 1 looking for quality and knows bit basics about technology...

might just want to stick to CDMA....

1S MNP is introduced....more open handsets for CDMA will be available

Price is more or less depends on production volume...

this is one of the main reason of high cost of CDMA phones apart from the loyalty charges given to Qualcomm

:previous: Not true - I find no difference in voice clarity at least between RCDMA and Idea (GSM). In fact Idea is slightly better. If you compare it with say Airtel, then definitely RCDMA is better. So it depends who you are comparing with. I know CDMA is touted as the superior tech., but this claim does not seem to hold good on the field. Edited by raccoon

I have used GSM-3G and CDMA-EVDO, and the data access speeds are comparable

:previous:

it shud not

i beg to differ, GSM voice quality can never be as good as CDMA...For voice clarity , coverage, and data CDMA is the best.

In western country GSM 3g is not as successful as the CDMA in US

lest we forget all 3g technology is based on CDMA

Dear all a clear perspective is after launching GSM from last 20 years around and CDMA being there only since last 10 years then also the market capitalisation is 50:50 ratio

And after years of Handset problem globally finally there are OMH Handsets available world over..........

Technology wise CDMA is far superior to any other technology even if compared to 4G technology

Spectrum utilisation is also good in CDMA....

A simple example is the Broadband+ Data speed 3.1 mbps which is based on EVDO service same for CORBY SPEED....

I second the above opinions. CDMA is far superior. In CDMA even with one single network bar, we can converse without any disturbance. Wheras in GSM thats not the case.

Also, all operators cannot perform in the same manner in all geographical areas with respect to their tower position, location of customer etc. It might be that s207 is in such an area where the RCOM CDMA signal is not upto the mark to suit his needs. So his views are also justifiable.

But in my personal experience, I have used 4 GSM operators (Spice/Idea+Hutch/Vodafone+BSNL+RCOM) and till date I have not found a real substitute to my RCOM CDMA.Opinions may differ ffrom person to person.

i beg to differ, GSM voice quality can never be as good as CDMA...For voice clarity , coverage, and data CDMA is the best.

i never understood this voice clarity thing....in my case i always found tht no one can give voice clarity as good as airtel.....i m using 1 airtel 1 reliance and 1 tata no... so clarity wise i ll put them in following order

1. airtel

2. tata (cdma)

3. reliance (cdma)

in airtel u can listen the breath of other person whereas in reliance its worst u ll get voice with treble & bassChulo.gif....i dont know whats wrong with me but this is all of me n my frends experience....... people are with cdma due to thier low call rates not due to any technical advantage of voice(which i never found with cdmawinko.gif)...

and whats the use of comparison if till now reliance or tata cannot deliver long msgs (msg with more thn 160 character) in once....

its just my thought...i never used data services on cdma

Edited by amit.shippie

Dear Friends,

We all are aware that availability of new handsets at reasonable cost is big issue with CDMA. Please compare cost of GSM Corby with CDMA Corby there is price difference. Compared to GSM touch screen handset range, Corby speed CDMA looks primitive.

My suggestion is that: users who want full-featured handsets at reasonable costs should wait for Mobile Number Portability (MNP). Then we can migrate to any good GSM service provider.

I wanted to upgrade from my Nokia6275 to Corby speed, but after seeing the handset features etc, put my purchase on hold and waiting for MNP.

Regards

I remember reading in a news paper several months ago when MNP was announced that CDMA numbers cannot be ported to GSM networks and vise versa. So CDMA useres will remain in CDMA networks- you may switch to Tata or Virgin but not to Airtel etc.

^^^ that's wrong. MNP is technology neutral. You can freely shift from CDMA to GSM and vice-versa

I remember reading in a news paper several months ago when MNP was announced that CDMA numbers cannot be ported to GSM networks and vise versa. So CDMA useres will remain in CDMA networks- you may switch to Tata or Virgin but not to Airtel etc.

I too remember reading that article but their reasons made no sense.

A mobile number is neither handset or technology bound after MNP.

Secondly, the only issue with CDMa is Handsets.

As far as network is concerned, 1 CDMA tower = 2 of GSM. (thats why the pathetic state of Rel GSM)

So think Green !

Here's the quote from TRAI regulation details for MNP

“Mobile Number Portability” means the facility which allows a subscriber to retain his mobile telephone number when he moves from one Access Provider to another irrespective of the mobile technology or from one cellular mobile technology to another of the same Access Provider;

so no worries... wait for MNP!!

i never understood this voice clarity thing....in my case i always found tht no one can give voice clarity as good as airtel.....i m using 1 airtel 1 reliance and 1 tata no... so clarity wise i ll put them in following order

1. airtel

2. tata (cdma)

3. reliance (cdma)

in airtel u can listen the breath of other person whereas in reliance its worst u ll get voice with treble & bassChulo.gif....i dont know whats wrong with me but this is all of me n my frends experience....... people are with cdma due to thier low call rates not due to any technical advantage of voice(which i never found with cdmawinko.gif)...

and whats the use of comparison if till now reliance or tata cannot deliver long msgs (msg with more thn 160 character) in once....

it also depends on the handsets...if LG handsets like 3 series are used, the voice of the other person sounds slightly different...one may have to reduce the earpiece volume to get it right..

also, i was happy with my 6275 voice clarity which was good (i have not used handsets above that range). even i find Corby to be OK.

the main advantage in CDMA (apart from data) is that there will not be voice breakage when the signal reception changes from tower to tower..and this is one of the main reasons why the call drops are less...(atleast in my case as compared to airtel)

in my opinion only one thing sets GSM over CDMA is availablity of handsets till date. u can get good handsets in GSM like nokia 7210 for 4.5k but same type of handset in CDMA we get for around 5k.(less features in CDMA).

Dear Mr. Pai,

Its not that I have any problem with Rcom CDMA. I certainly vouch for the voice clarity even with one signal bar. And nationwide coverage is also very good. But at the same time I must say that my Airtel connection also gives comparable clarity (never gave thought to check clarity with one signal bar). Even as other members have rightly said that CDMA is Spectrum efficient as a user I find Rcom CDMA and Airtel on same pedestal as far as voice clarity is concerned.

My problem is HANDSET options with CDMA. I dont think the situation will improve much in near future. Let us hope some good handsets are launched in next few months (till MNP comes).

And the biggest benefit of MNP will be: (even if there is some lock-in period with new operator after porting) we can again come back to CDMA if required.

Thanks for enlightening discussion.

Regards

Sanjay

I second the above opinions. CDMA is far superior. In CDMA even with one single network bar, we can converse without any disturbance. Wheras in GSM thats not the case.

Also, all operators cannot perform in the same manner in all geographical areas with respect to their tower position, location of customer etc. It might be that s207 is in such an area where the RCOM CDMA signal is not upto the mark to suit his needs. So his views are also justifiable.

But in my personal experience, I have used 4 GSM operators (Spice/Idea+Hutch/Vodafone+BSNL+RCOM) and till date I have not found a real substitute to my RCOM CDMA.Opinions may differ ffrom person to person.

Yes, in some area you might get poor voice quality due more no of users, but with increase in towers and repeater the voice quality can be improved..and it depends on handset as well. It hard to beat CDMA as every one is aware of spectrum chrunch and we are enjoying 3g evdo due the efficient CDMA. Sorry GSM guys cant enjoy their 3g part.

I couldnt agree with you more sanjay regarding the lack of good quality handsets on the CDMA front.

But I personally feel that the situation would change in the near future especially after seeing launches like the corby speed model. Also, I had read one more post that samsung is planning to launch more phones on the corby platform very soon(not sure whether it is going to be on the GSM or CDMA platform though).

At this point of time we can only hope that the situation changes in the near future especially with the likes of Samsung, Micromax exploring the advantages of OMH handsets in India.

Here's the quote from TRAI regulation details for MNP

“Mobile Number Portability” means the facility which allows a subscriber to retain his mobile telephone number when he moves from one Access Provider to another irrespective of the mobile technology or from one cellular mobile technology to another of the same Access Provider;

so no worries... wait for MNP!!

Thanks for the quote.

Its like a breeze of fresh air to me.

After tasting HERO, I can only say god save those who say we dont have good handsets in CDMA.... Corby is but a very ordinary phone with a nice feature list.... thats all...

I have used RCDMA, Airtel and Idea for quite sometime, in all kinds of locations around the city and around it and on different handsets. Despite the supposed superior voice clarity claims of CDMA, I repeat I found absolutely no drawback by shifting to Idea. Voice clarity is usually similar to RCDMA, sometimes slightly better and call drops are about equally rare with both, even when on call while driving around the city. It is true that it was possible to carry out a conversation of the same quality even with 1 bar on RCDMA, but I have never had a problem with Idea, as the signal intensity where I have used it has usally been above one bar... at least when I bothered to notice. Now, that may mean that Idea has more towers around, but thats not really of direct concern to me. While the tech definitely interests me, it is almost purely for academic reasons. As a user, I'd be more interested in general network quality (including voice clarity), tariffs and handsets.

You said it! My experience with RCDMA concerning texting was very bad. So it seems nothing has changed while I was away. No concatenated SMSes and parts of long SMSes vanishing or being delivered in wrong sequence does not work for me at least.

There is no gain in going around telling everyone that CDMA is superior on paper and at the same time not enjoying a better experience in real life.

This is my experience, and also the experience of couple other people I know, in Mah. circle. Experience with operators may of course differ depending on the circle in question. For me, the supposed benefits of CDMA were too few and the disadvantages way too many. As things stand right now, I may consider a CDMA connection only if the disadvantages are compensated by a lower tariff.

Edited by raccoon

handset availibility is not at all an issue with cdma and never will be

Dear Mr. Mufaddal,

You have mistaken our concern about CDMA handsets. It is not only about availability of CDMA handsets you/we are talking about.

It also relates to the PRICES of the CDMA handsets YOU are talking about in comparision to same feature GSM handsets.

It would be of great help to compare if you could please give approx prices of the handsets, you have mentioned.

Regards

handset availibility is not at all an issue with cdma and never will be