Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums

I jus read an article on OpenSource at Express Computers Journal dated 23-05-2005. Did any1 go thru it?

32279[/snapback]

Can you provide a link to it :-)

Cheers ..................................

I jus read an article on OpenSource at Express Computers Journal dated 23-05-2005. Did any1 go thru it?

32279[/snapback]

Can you provide a link to it :-)

Cheers ..................................

32281[/snapback]

Here it is ! nice article btw :)

Well, I am a Linux user since someitme now. I have 3 systems two of which have FC2. The third has only WinXP. One system triple boots with WinXP, WinME and FC2. I don't use windoze anymore. It's just for my family.

32271[/snapback]

Dear linuxguy,

So what things you like or dislike about it comparing to MS os :-). What more features you

want to have in it or are you completly satisfied with the distribution you are using.

BTW please also consider from the context of a windows user while giving the feedback.

Cheers ..............................

32274[/snapback]

I think I would say I am completely satisfies with FC. I really dont know whether its lacking any features since I have just gotten used to it :blink:

I think I would say I am completely satisfies with FC. I really dont know whether its lacking any features since I have just gotten used to it :blink:

32474[/snapback]

Great :-)

Cheers ..........................

I was just going through the DVDs i get with Digit and saw that i have the following distrubutions:

Mandrake 10.1 Discovery

Linspire Live 5.0

SuSe 9.1 Personal Edition

FC3

I'm new to linux and am installing it out of curiosity and for experimental purposes. I want to know which would be the best and most powerful option.

My comp config:

p4 2.4, 256mb sd ram, 80gb HDD, winxp pro, geforce 4 mx440se, 512kbps dsl.

Edited by vb86

I was just going through the DVDs i get with Digit and saw that i have the following distrubutions:

Mandrake 10.1 Discovery

Linspire Live 5.0

SuSe 9.1 Personal Edition

FC3

I'm new to linux and am installing it out of curiosity and for experimental purposes. I want to know which would be the best and most powerful option.

My comp config:

p4 2.4, 256mb sd ram, 80gb HDD, winxp pro, geforce 4 mx440se, 512kbps dsl.

33267[/snapback]

Dear vb86,

Try Suse 9.1 Personal first, you may find it more user friendly.

Cheers ....................

I am GNU/Linux user by choice and Professional freinds to microsoft by force ;)

Did the first ruthless attempt to get connected some where in 1996 using redhat 5.1

Now continuelly using linux at home/pocket/desk since 1997

------

Sameer

Does anybody know how to setup port forwarding in Linux.

Please post if any one finds useful info.

One of my friend wants useful info on this!!

hmm no guess .... tried a few distros but, never for too long .... got a hell lot of doubts.. if our dear friend dacodecz is around sometime ... hope he can help me out!

till date found knoppix the best ... wanted to install that, rather than use as a live cd... but the thing kaboomed... never bothered to try it again.

I would be installing on a new machine altogether ...so I would love it if dacodecz could explain the installation procedures... on a new HDD (laptop - if that makes a difference)

Thanks a lot

Ashok

Try gentoo, if you have access to unlimited internet, and you would not need any other flavor of linux.

BTW GenToo stands for Generation 2.

http://www.gentoo.org

User docs on the site are real good, and also the forums provide with excellent support. I have never tried it on a laptop (though have a laptop, but dont have the time, also I can't do away with windows on the laptop - work pressures :) ), but there ar people who are running it successfully on laptops.

Thanks for that fast response Puneet .... Downloading it right away ...

Lemme see ... first I will install it on one of my desktops on a 4.3 GB HDD... then try it on Lappy...

Well, whatever you do, try it on a fast PC, coz it can take ages for the first compile on a slow PC, if you are doing it from stage 1. On my P3 500, it took 4 days to get gentoo up and running the first time.

There are a few workarounds and a few tweaks to get a superfast PC on gentoo, browse through forums.

My advice, is before you start installing, please browse through the user docs and the forums.

Well, whatever you do, try it on a fast PC, coz it can take ages for the first compile on a slow PC, if you are doing it from stage 1. On my P3 500, it took 4 days to get gentoo up and running the first time.

There are a few workarounds and a few tweaks to get a superfast PC on gentoo, browse through forums.

My advice, is before you start installing, please browse through the user docs and the forums.

35083[/snapback]

Sure ... I will keep disturbing u ... the moment I start the real work!

Hi,

I purchased HP/COMPAQ Presario Laptop with tailor made CDs of Mandrake Linux 9.1 in Sep 04. Why I am using the word "tailor made" because it got installed very smoothly and selected the correct driver for all devices on its own. I had chosen KDE as my default desktop and was very happy with all the applications.

There were some sites which required mandatory use of Internet Explorer so I downloaded Cross over office because it has the correct version of Wine (Windows emulator) and installed IE 6.0.

Subsequently I bought Mandrakelinux 10 CDs and upgraded my OS.

Recently I bought Ubuntu install CD and now have dual boot system with Mandrakelinux 10 and Ubuntu 5.04 (Like people have WinXP and Linux).

I have also installed Ubuntu on my daughter's desktop which had WinXP Home. It is also dual boot with both systems running.

For the desktop I am not getting the Linux driver for PCTel 688T modem. So the desktop has to use WinXP for connecting to internet which is not safe.

I use Firefox and Opera browsers and have learnt how to fool the web sites which insist on Internet Explorer. Now I rarely use IE 6.

I was using Shorewall (Firewall) but I could not configure it for dial up connections.

I have come to know about Firestarter firewall recently. It is very user friendly with graphic interphases. Just like what is Zone Alarm for Win 95/98.

I have posted elsewhere about how I configured RConnect dialer for Mandrake Linux and Ubuntu.

Nice forum you people have here.

kagashe

Damn Small Linux (DSL) (50mb only live CD)

Damn Small Linux is a business card size (50MB) bootable Live CD Linux distribution. Despite its minuscule size it strives to have a functional and easy to use desktop.

Damn Small Linux has a nearly complete desktop, including XMMS (MP3, and MPEG), FTP client, links-hacked web browser, spreadsheet, email, spellcheck (US English), a word-processor, three editors (Nedit, nVi, Zile [emacs clone]), Xpdf, Worker (file manager), Naim (AIM, ICQ, IRC), VNCviwer, SSH/SCP server and client, DHCP client, PPP, PPPoE, a web server, calculator, Fluxbox window manager, system monitoring apps, USB support, and soon it will have PCMCIA support as well. If you like Damn Small Linux you can install it on your hard drive. Because all the applications are small and light it makes a very good choice for older hardware.

If you like DSL you can install it on your hard drive. Because all the applications are small and light it makes a very good choice for older hardware.

The goal in creating Damn Small Linux is to have enough tools and toys on a business card sized CD to get work done *and* have some fun.

Download

Screenshot :

dsl147ls.th.jpg

well, unfortunately there isn't a Linux version available for GTran GC4020 !

well, unfortunately there isn't a Linux version available for GTran GC4020 !

38029[/snapback]

Yes. You are right. I found this website who are developing the software for various mobile phones:

http://www.bitpim.org/

Although, my phone is not covered in the software I downloaded and installed it since the website states that you could browse the filesystem of the mobile phone. I could see the various files in my mobile but when I downloaded the phone book data file I could not read it.

They are looking for developers and the requirement for the developer is stated as follows:

If you would like to have another phone supported, you need to find someone with some developer skills. In particular they will need to have the target phone, and will need to be able to figure out information on the phone (usually by browsing the filesystem view and analysing protocol traces). Most importantly they will need to have time to dedicate to this.

If you are such a developer, please consult the developer information. I would welcome BitPim working with other phones, and the code and design intent is to allow this.

I hope there may be someone interested in this work among the users of this forum.

kagashe

That is old news ... but yes... thanks for letting the uninitated to know more ...

Thanks cracker!!!

try this book

0764596152.jpg

SUSE Linux 9.3 For Dummies

* This easy-to-understand book for beginning SUSE Linux users starts off with step-by-step installation instructions and a discussion of what happens when the system is started for the first time

* Explains how to use SUSE on the desktop, work with the file manager, connect to the Internet, and set up a home network

* Topics addressed include performing everyday tasks, such as browsing the Web; reading e-mail and newsgroups; and using the OpenOffice.org office productivity suite and multimedia applications

* Offers details on basic system administration and security and shows how to add new software and keep the system up to date with YaST (Yet another Setup Tool) and YaST Online Update (YOU)

http://rapidshare.de/files/2627591/For.Dum...y.2005.rar.html

Hi,

One day I wrote a blog regarding my Linux experience and I am adding whatever I learn on the way.

I also submitted the URL to Google (just for fun) and found now that it has been listed in their search engine (so that is another experience). I am going to build my own linux distribution through Linux from scratch because I understand that it would be fastest to load among all linux distributions.

Here is the blog URL:

http://kagashe.blogspot.com/

kagashe

I want some help from the Linux user!

There are any way to mount the NTFS partition in the Linux. If yes, then please describe the procedure.

Thanks and Take Care!