Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
dkaile

Sprint Samsung Epic 4G - The Beast Is Here!

Gps is perfect I. Dk28. Better accuracy tghan dk18 but takes longer to latch than dk18. Froyo has typical screen update lag which I dislike.

Fresh install after wipe causes very few problems

GPS issue is being faced by people who had set GPS to cold start from the original hot start - here; Revert back to Hot Start and reboot the phone before proceeding with the update and you wont have GPS issue; Also people doing a factory reset in DI18 before proceeding to DK28 are NOT facing the GPS issue.

Edited by dkaile

^ Mine is on cold start only.

^

hmmm... that may be because your phone was rooted and on a custom rom... well the solutions seems confusing even on xda; best till now for non working gps after froyo update is to revert back to DI18 via odin, get gps lock and then reflash DK28 again via odin..

I have reverted back to DI18 for the time being till I get an actual ota ota... lolz...

Edited by dkaile

Want to know which client is better? Gmail client or inbuilt email client...

^

depends upon your usage requirements... I havnt even touched the inbuilt email client till date...

Hi,

I am following the instructions on this page http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=861213

I get an error while doing the update. it says

assert_failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop" . "ro.build.fingerprint") == "sprint/SPH-D700/SPH-D700/SPH-D700:2.1-updat1/ECLAIR/DI18:user/release-keys" ||

file_getprop("/system/build.prop"."ro.build.fingerprint") == "sprint/SPH-D700/SPH-D700/SPH-D700:2.2.1/FROYO/DK28:user/release-keys"

E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip

(Status 7)

Installation aborted

I have clockwork recovery installed.

Please let me know if I need to redownload the update.zip file?

Ditto. Doing the odin update to dk28 now

Then what you use for checking mails

Gmail app

Gmail Gmail Gmail app; nothing else...

@Dj - I would advise against this DK28 release, seeing the problems faced by many; it just doesnt seem to be an "original" release as claimed...

Edited by dkaile

Want to know which client is better? Gmail client or inbuilt email client...

I have always used K-9 mail and I tried to use built in client (Gmail) more than 3 times but switched back to K-9 again.

See GPS accuracy on my Dk-28

post-842-0-03194900-1291632775_thumb.jpg

Is anyone using a startup manager/controller for Android/Epic like the one's we have for Windows. Too many apps start when the phone is restarted, especially the Sprint apps. Would be nice to control that. God only knows why a game like Sudoku needs to run in the background when the phone is rebooted, I have uninstalled it since. But would have been better to control what starts.

^^^ Advanced Task killer will do your job. After reboot, just press the widget and whoosh, your apps are 'killed'... thus saving a lot of memory..

Here is a simple solution to fix GPS issue on Samsung Epic 4G:

1. Enter *#1472365# in the dialer

(For ECLAIR: * # * # 1 4 7 2 3 6 5 # * # * For FROYO: * # * # 3 2 1 4 7 8 9 6 5 0 # * # *)

2. Tap Setup, select Position Mode, select Starting Mode

3. Change the option from "Hot Start" to "Cold Start"

New to Android & Epic

There is No (GPS) Navigation under open Sky

After entering above Codes.. Nothing Happens :help:

unable to get the fix even after

Wireless Networks" and "GPS Satellites - Enabled

Use My Location -Enabled

Wifi- Enabled

is there any Preloaded map inside..Dont Know

is there any maps required to be downloaded

I have Not registered for Sprint Navigation..

Edited by satishdave

which rom? download gpstest from market and check with that under open sky; u will get fix in 5 minutes flat... thereafter in any gps program like google maps...

Any one can guide me how to get ClockWork Recovery on the Epic ??

head over to xda forums under android development section there is a post for one touch rooting and recovery flashing for the epic. simple as downloading a small program, connecting ur phone to comp and running it to do the magic.

Any one can guide me how to get ClockWork Recovery on the Epic ??

Samsung recovery is not as simple as HTC bit complicated.

Sdx or xda are best place for samsung. I prefer sdx though only for samsung.

Here is a simple solution to fix GPS issue on Samsung Epic 4G:

1. Enter *#1472365# in the dialer

(For ECLAIR: * # * # 1 4 7 2 3 6 5 # * # * For FROYO: * # * # 3 2 1 4 7 8 9 6 5 0 # * # *)

2. Tap Setup, select Position Mode, select Starting Mode

3. Change the option from "Hot Start" to "Cold Start"

New to Android & Epic

There is No (GPS) Navigation under open Sky

After entering above Codes.. Nothing Happens :help:

unable to get the fix even after

Wireless Networks" and "GPS Satellites - Enabled

Use My Location -Enabled

Wifi- Enabled

is there any Preloaded map inside..Dont Know

is there any maps required to be downloaded

I have Not registered for Sprint Navigation..

I have posted NDRIVE search.

@kshah - did u do a clean wipe when upgrading to dk28? also did you use zip file or odin method?

I have always used K-9 mail and I tried to use built in client (Gmail) more than 3 times but switched back to K-9 again.

Any idea how to set K-9 to idle mode for weekends like some email clients that have a sleep scheduler so that it doesnt ping the servers all night or on weekends?

Have had a rough 2 days trying to get my Epic back to DI18(Eclair rom)after the latest froyo update played havoc with my phone. ( No GPS, frequent reboots and apps freeze, absence of rings tone and a few other issues). Finally managed to Odin back to DI18 and when I tried to update to DK28(Froyo rom) I got a failed checksum error from my downloaded file and Odin didnt proceed with the flash to DK28. What has been noticed is that there are some rogue versions of the DK28 tar file being floated around. If you download the DK28 file please do a checksum comparison and make sure it does not bear MD5 383f43ea5a4e6effd2b3fd72f311633a. This particular file version is corrupt and you will not be able to proceed with flashing to Froyo using the Odin method. The file to download is the one which has the MD5 babad9dcbcd357f726b832bb59f81f7f

If you're not overly eager to see the pre-released Froyo upgrade , hold back till OTA is announced as this version is not perfect. Lags when switching between portrait and landscape modes has been noticed by many, so hold back if you dont want to be disappointed with the release. That said, the perks of the Froyo update is that you can move your apps (those that are supported, not all) to the SD card, thus freeing up valuable phone memory (I was able to move 90 MB from phone mem to SD card)

Thank you kalpak ji !!

Installed modem.tar with ODIN & Installed ODIN UPDATE ZIP with Clockworkmod.

Clockworkmod found here :

http://forum.sdx-developers.com/epic-development/(recovery)-clockworkmod-recovery-for-the-epic-4g!-permament-method!-final!-fixed/

Thanks !!!

@ DK how is 2.2 any comments and review your first hand exp on it.

which rom? download gpstest from market and check with that under open sky; u will get fix in 5 minutes flat... thereafter in any gps program like google maps...

Thanks Dheeraj Bhai

GPS is Running Now & are there any Downloadable full Maps Apps of our Major cities, so that Data is Not always ON while using GPS,

which is the Best one of such apps.

Edited by satishdave